Your question

New PSU suggestions

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
March 24, 2010 2:42:03 PM

I am having a problem with my current PSU just shutting off and not being able to turn back on for at least 30min after shutting off when I start up windows or try to load programs such as photoshop that use a lot of RAM and gets my hard drive running (at least I assume this is my PSU). Do you agree that it is most likely my old PSU and if it is, what PSU do you suggest for my current system and if I were to upgrade to a i7 CPU, new RAM and new motherboard in a year?

My current system is:
Intel Pentium D
2 gb DDR2 RAM
1 SATA 7200 rpm HD
1 DVDRW
NVIDIA geforece 7600gt

I have thought about this cosair PSU because of it's high reviews but I am not sure if 400w would be enough If I were to upgrade my CPU, RAM and motherboard. I also do not want to pay more than $40 after rebates if I do not have to.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : psu suggestions

a c 77 ) Power supply
March 24, 2010 3:53:46 PM

I would go with the Corsair at that price range and for your needs.

If you upgrade to a new system in a year, you'll probably require a new PSU since most Core i7 builds currently require a GPU and you should look at least at a 450w plus PSU depending on what GPU you get. Keeping your current GPU, you'll be okay even with a newer build.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 24, 2010 4:19:33 PM

There are a number of reasons why your PC may just cut out during usage. One of them as you correctly thought is a faulty PSU but others can be bad RAM, high temperatures etc. the list goes on.

Download and burn MemTest to a bootable CD and run a test on your memory. If it detects any errors chances are your memory needs replacing. Try running your system with only one stick of RAM installed at a time in each different slot on your motherboard. Swap your sticks over and try the other one. This will help isolate the faulty RAM stick (unless of course it's both!).

Download and install HWMonitor and run it during your general system usage to keep an eye on your temps. If they seem to be getting very hot at any point this could be your issue. If you're unsure on what your temps should be then post back here and someone will help.

You can Google both of the above applications and download them. I'm not discounting the possibility that it could be your PSU, but you'll want to be sure before you shell out on a new one. Good luck!

m
l
Related resources
March 29, 2010 2:12:44 PM

ok so I haven't been able to do anything to test it because my computer doesn't stay on long enough to test it. As soon as I try to log into windows it shuts off and then I can't turn it it back on for another 30 min otherwise it turns on and shuts of after 2 seconds. I thought it would be that it is overheating but I CAN turn it back on and it stays if I unplug the power to the hard drive making me believe that it's the power supply just overloading and not the computer overheating. Agree?
m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
March 29, 2010 2:18:30 PM

A 7600GT only needs about 4 amps at 12 volts. The Corsair 400CX will be more than adequate for the system you now have.
m
l
March 29, 2010 2:28:40 PM

jsc said:
A 7600GT only needs about 4 amps at 12 volts. The Corsair 400CX will be more than adequate for the system you now have.

Yes that is what I figured but I am wondering first if this is the problem with my computer and what power supply I should get If I want to upgrade my computer to a new CPU, motherboard and ram next year.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 29, 2010 2:32:47 PM

These PSUs provide power enough and they have a good price.

OCZ STEALTHXSTREAM 400W
CORSAIR CX400 400W

If you are thinking about update (someday) your graphic card ( an 5770, for example):
CORSAIR VX 450
ANTEC EARTHWATTS 500
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 29, 2010 2:38:40 PM

huber14 said:
Yes that is what I figured but I am wondering first if this is the problem with my computer and what power supply I should get If I want to upgrade my computer to a new CPU, motherboard and ram next year.

It depends on the system configuration. It's not the same an ATI 5770 and a nVIdia GTX470, 2xDIMMs and 6xDIMMs,...

Here you have a PSU calculator:

http://www.antec.outervision.com/
m
l
!