SHould i buy or should i wait

Beastxxx

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Ok but the thing is Is I have no idea how to OC even if my life depended on it lol
I was thinking if I get top of line CPU I wouldn't need to upgrade fo while.…
THX

:pfff:

I wouldn't recommend over clocking if the OP doesn't know how to.

Now the OP can go to google and search though the various guide though out the web on how to overclock a cpu but let not push that unless the OP wants to learn how to do so.

SHANEMARINES

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

I was just wondering what your going to using this CPU for I mean would you even use the six core or the high end quad for that matter?

Are you gaming?

Are you a graphics art major?

Are you running millions of excel docs at once?

I mean just give us a brief example of what your going to doing with it and we can give you a straight forward answer.

BTW: My opinion if you got the money just buy a great CPU and stay away from overclocking.

Disadvantages of OCing a CPU if not done right:

>The lifespan of a processor may be reduced
>Increased clock rates and/or voltages result in higher power consumption
>Stability problems after a long period of time
>You may receive error messages such as a “file copy error"
>Overclocking has the potential to cause component failure ("heat death")
>Some motherboards are designed to use the airflow from a standard cpu fan in order to cool other heatsinks, such as the northbridge. If the cpu heatsink is changed on such boards, other heatsinks may receive insufficient cooling
>Overclocking a PC component may void its warranty
>There is a risk of fire if devices are not properly cooled

The information about was not from me!

Came from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overclocking

Thank you for your questions I really hope this post helps you out Beastxxx.

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009

:lol: I didnt see that sorry guys...

If you want to try it, there are some good guides out there. Unless you really screw up the multiplyer and voltage, u really cant 'melt' or 'fry' your CPU...(But again if you dont fell cofertable lol thats OK :lol: ):

Heres a google link for OC'ing:

http://www.google.com/search?q=guide+to+cpu+overclocking&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GFRE_en

Heres a direct link for a guide:

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1804

OR

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/oc-guide.html

But again, if you dont want to OC, I stil would get the 955...

Hope that helps and clarifies! :pt1cable: :lol: :hello:

Beastxxx

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Well it's mainly for gAming .I'm trying to build a new system that will last me quite some time.
I am not yet confident enough to even think of over clocking simply because my system now hits around 60 celciouse and in summer time the temperature is around 30-40 c
I don't have much of s cooling system yet either but I was thinking of buying liquid cooling

Well you will be best off with the Phenom II x4 955BE Overclocking is a cinch on this processor with a decent air cooler for about 50 bucks you can get the same speeds as the 965 and go even higher with little to no knowledge of overclocking its so simple my grandma could do it. I would so not recommend liquid cooling it can be very unreliable and could cost you components when it fails. even though your ambient temps are hot with good air cooling setup you will be able to keep your temps in check.

And if you are really uncomfortable with overclocking you can use programs to do it especially if you get an ASUS board i have heard their overclocking program is pretty decent and with the BE processors all you have to do is raise the multiplier and bam your overclocked.

Beastxxx

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009

Thats the thing i wanted to buy the 965 so i could run smoothly with ought having to OC and worry if im doing something wrong or bad
With the amount of knowledge i have its suicide to OC just getting their wont be the hard part its wether or not i did something wrong and i have no way of knowing if I did or not.plus if im going for something that will last me for a while may as well go with the 965 its pretty cheap(compared to the i7 and i5 set up.
THX :D

Yea in that case get the 965BE also a year from now when you feel you do need an extra boost seriously overclock it you will not have a problem doing it I promise you like I said my grandma could do it and she barely knows how to turn the computer on.

Beastxxx

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Yeah hmm agreed :) soo what's the difference with th x4 to x6 I understand that the x6 has six core ..... That's what got me thinking should I wait or not … for the latest and grates and then don't have to worry for a year or 3 xD

randomkid

Distinguished
The X6 is more for enthusiast to get high scores in benchmarks. Mostly to claim having the fastest or faster PC in the planet. I think no real life personal application will fully use even a X4.

But inspite of this, I myself will go for the X6 just for the joy of seing 6 threads running in Windows Task Manager... :bounce: I surely hope it runs on a 790FX board as I want to limit my investment as well.

Beastxxx

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Hahah yeah I guess that's kinda like me just the pure plesure of unwind ur system is running so much power :) will the x6 work on 790Fxta-ud5 I will also probably run 6gb of g.skill trident 1600mhZ will this run because I have read a post that the person only red 1333mhz instead of 1600 so he had to pump up the voltage or something in BIOS......
THX

Beastxxx

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Awsome soo I'm going with a Gigabyte and the x6
quick question is g.skill rident 1600 MHz any good nd will my system read it
www.mtechcomputers.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=25921
will they b any good or are they over rated.is their any other that I could look
into ??