Crossfired 7970's overheating in Guild Wars 2 but no other game

paulofny

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
Requesting help for cooling 2 powercooler crossfired 7970's
I can play any game at max setting but for some reason Guild Wars 2 is causing my graphics cards to start to overheat and throttleback is there any cooling method you could recommend that might remedy the situation. Its kind of annoying considering no other game causes this but i'd rather be safe than sorry.

Processor : Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition Sandy Bridge-E 3.3GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor
Liquid Cooling : Asetek 550LC Liquid Cooling CPU Cooling System (Intel) ARC Dual Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade (Push-Pull Airflow)
Memory : 16GB DDR3-1600 memory module Kingston Hyper X
Video Card : Crossfire mode Dual 7970 3GB Amd Cards
MotherBoard : Asus P9X79 -- 4X USB 3.0
Power Supply : 1200 Watt Corsair CMPSU- 1200AX
Primary Data Drive : 240 GB Intel 520 SSD
Data Hard Drive : 2 TB Hard Drive 64m Cache 7200rpm 6.0Gb/s
Optical Drive : 12x LG Blu-ray reader, DVD Reader and burner Combo
Meter Display : NZXT Senmtry 2 Touch Screen Fan Controller and Temperature Display
Sound Card : Premium Surround Sound
Operating System : Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Use temp monitoring software like RealTemp, CoreTemp or HW Monitor and have your GPU temps write out to a log file...load up the game and see what temps you get. If they are under 100C, it's not overheating even though those are pretty hot temps. Once you've determined these temps, open the side of your case, blow a desk fan or house fan into the case, repeat the process...see what you get.

scopey86

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Guys this is entirely due to Guild Wars 2. They have a bunch of issues with graphics cards right now apparently. A lot of people are reporting low performance for their hardware, and others have posted saying that for some reason the game puts a full load on GPUs when it clearly shouldn't, causing them to overheat.

Just create a case with Guild Wars 2 on their site and they'll work on it. I'm having one of the problems I listed, I'm using a GTX 690 and getting an average of 40-70fps depending with an OC'd 3570k. They're also looking into my problem but I don't know when these will be fixed.