Fujitsu N3010

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have always defended and wrote good reviews about this laptop when I
got it. It was a real nice machine at the beginning. I was
reccomending it to others. I got it at Fry's in Dallas.

Basically the graphics card goes nuts after a while, dislaying a
grid/mesh or vertical line color pattern. Fujitsu customer service
asks you take it to the local certified repair center. They fixed it,
by replacing the entire motherboard. This happened 4 months into
purchasing it. Then the same thing happened 6 months later.

After reading in several tech newsgroups, and one personal encounter
with another person in the certified repair center the last time I
took it there, all had the same problem with thee graphics going bad.

This is either an endemic problem or an issue with some production
batch, I dont know

Now I have no warranty, and in my mind, the N3010 a ticking device,
waiting to break.

Note to current owners:

- Please contact me if you had this problem
- Extend the warranty of you have this machine before it runs out.
- Dont play CPU hogging 3D graphics intensive games. I strongly
suspect that this kills the ATI Radeon 9000 card. Since my kids have
stopped using it as a game machine (Star Wars Star Fighter and MS
Combat Sim 2, heavy graphics usage), it has lasted more han 6 months
without any issues. (Yesterday I fired up Star Wars and the fan spun
up so loud that I quit the game right away.)

fira2001@hotmail.com (A.Ansari) wrote in

<SNIP>

> Basically the graphics card goes nuts after a while, dislaying a
> grid/mesh or vertical line color pattern. Fujitsu customer service
> asks you take it to the local certified repair center. They fixed it,
> by replacing the entire motherboard. This happened 4 months into
> purchasing it. Then the same thing happened 6 months later.
>
> After reading in several tech newsgroups, and one personal encounter
> with another person in the certified repair center the last time I
> took it there, all had the same problem with thee graphics going bad.
>
> This is either an endemic problem or an issue with some production
> batch, I dont know
>
> Now I have no warranty, and in my mind, the N3010 a ticking device,
> waiting to break.
>
> Note to current owners:
>
> - Please contact me if you had this problem
> - Extend the warranty of you have this machine before it runs out.
> - Dont play CPU hogging 3D graphics intensive games. I strongly
> suspect that this kills the ATI Radeon 9000 card. Since my kids have
> stopped using it as a game machine (Star Wars Star Fighter and MS
> Combat Sim 2, heavy graphics usage), it has lasted more han 6 months
> without any issues. (Yesterday I fired up Star Wars and the fan spun
> up so loud that I quit the game right away.)

I had the same problem develop 3 months after my N3010 arrived. It has
now been 6 months since the mobo was replaced and even with at least 3
hours per day of BF1942 + normal usage I have had no hiccup.

MSC

--
matthew.carrick@myfingergmail.com

Pull my finger . . . thanks!

"M. Carrick" <matthew.carrick@myfingergmail.com> wrote in

> fira2001@hotmail.com (A.Ansari) wrote in
>
> <SNIP>
>
>> Basically the graphics card goes nuts after a while, dislaying a
>> grid/mesh or vertical line color pattern. Fujitsu customer service
>> asks you take it to the local certified repair center. They fixed it,
>> by replacing the entire motherboard. This happened 4 months into
>> purchasing it. Then the same thing happened 6 months later.
>>
>> After reading in several tech newsgroups, and one personal encounter
>> with another person in the certified repair center the last time I
>> took it there, all had the same problem with thee graphics going bad.
>>
>> This is either an endemic problem or an issue with some production
>> batch, I dont know
>>
>> Now I have no warranty, and in my mind, the N3010 a ticking device,
>> waiting to break.
>>
>> Note to current owners:
>>
>> - Please contact me if you had this problem
>> - Extend the warranty of you have this machine before it runs out.
>> - Dont play CPU hogging 3D graphics intensive games. I strongly
>> suspect that this kills the ATI Radeon 9000 card. Since my kids have
>> stopped using it as a game machine (Star Wars Star Fighter and MS
>> Combat Sim 2, heavy graphics usage), it has lasted more han 6 months
>> without any issues. (Yesterday I fired up Star Wars and the fan spun
>> up so loud that I quit the game right away.)
>>

> I had the same problem develop 3 months after my N3010 arrived. It has
> now been 6 months since the mobo was replaced and even with at least 3
> hours per day of BF1942 + normal usage I have had no hiccup.
>
> MSC

Update:

3 months after the above the video again went bad.

Fujitsu Canada has graciously replaced the motherboard (the 2nd time for
those keeping record) even with the warranty period being over albeit by
only some five days.

The problem is that now the unit can not be used for any intensive video
uses as the chip will eventually die.

So the unit advertised as a wonderfull gaming platform is not - I would
advise folks to heed Mr. Ansari's advise above.

MSC