AMD Phenom II X6 1100T

ifreakyftw

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
hello i am new here, i simply wanted to ask if its possible overclocking my ''Phenom X6 1100T'' up to 4GHz on a H80? Ive been reading on the internet about my motherboard too (Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P) if its a good overclocking board. I havent found any proper answers and wanted to ask here. Thanks for any help :D

doct3rphil

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
maybe. I have a pretty low end mobo and was able to get my 1090T to 4.0 with increased voltage. I now run 3.8 though for stability. That is not a high end mobo either so mileage may vary.

Edit: I should say, the cooler will probably be overkill unless you have a mobo more suited for overclocking. Temps weren't my problem on air (Hyper 212 Plus)

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
The VRM section isn't robust enough to supply (reliably) the kind of voltage/current a 6 core Phenom will demand at 4 Ghz.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but I wouldn't recommend it with that board.

I would, however see how far I could go with the stock voltage supplied at 3.3 Ghz. (The board will automatically raise voltage when you increase frequency, so you will have to use an offset to bring the voltage back down to "stock")

ifreakyftw

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
Thanks guys :D ill try my best I just wanted to be sure. Also I haven't bought the H80 yet, I am still running on a stock heatsink which is really bad. I've heard the maximum temps for a phenom 2 are about 62c, mine went up to 60c on full load (prime 95) even after I've cleaned the heatsink from dust. Any suggestions to good cpu coolers? I have a thermaltake commander ms-i snow edition, if it matters so it fits into it, thanks for anything :)

ifreakyftw

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

What could happen in the worst case if I did raise the voltage? Would the motherboard break or also the cpu and gpu?

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
I would run a stress test like prime 95 before I changed anything in the BIOS and note the voltage. (with something like CPU-Z)

Then I would see how far I could increase the multiplier with that same voltage. (The motherboard will automatically increase voltage when you increase the multiplier, so you will have to use a negative offset to bring it back down.)

I would expect anywhere from 200 to 600 Mhz before things go unstable.

ifreakyftw

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

Thanks ill try my best :D

You really need something with 8+2 phase or better VRMs, unfortunately overclocking requires better power control and thus a good quality board is needed particularly to hit the high clocks intended on a Thuban.

Upfront suggestions:

ASRock Fatality 990FX.
Asus Crosshair V Formula.

But you can also have a look at:

MSI 990FX GD80
ASUS M599X
Gigabyte 990FXA UD5
Gigabyte 970FXA UD3/R
ASRock extreme 4 990fx
ASUS 890GTD Hybrid.

Feature rich and high quality but unfortunately a bit of a steep price tag.

Gigabyte 990FXA UD7
Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z

muhammadbinmehroze

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
Id say just about every 1100T will be able to clock up to 3.5ghz on stock voltage, 3.7ghz with minimal voltage increase....and from there, unfortunately, voltage increases don't scale very well.

For example with MY 1100T, I need the following values to run 100% Prime stable: (3.8ghz @ 1.400v....3.9ghz @ 1.4500v, 4.0ghz @ 1.500v).

3.8ghz seems to be the cutoff point for me. After that, I require a voltage increase of .050v for every 100mhz as you can see above. To remedy this I've been running mostly as a 5-core. This allows me to clock higher on lower voltages, and thusly reduces heat output a lot.

Anyone getting an H100 cooler should have no problem hitting 4.0ghz even if you have to go to 1.500v (not that I would recommend running 1.500v+ for a 24/7 OC -- though if your temps never exceed 60c I suppose you would be fine.)

The "official" safe temperature is 62c (CORE TEMPERATURE - NOT SOCKET) -- no need to play with fire though (pun intended). I'd keep it below 60c just to be safe in the long the run.

muhammadbinmehroze

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
Most importantly:

Do NOT , i repeat, DO NOT test the limits of your cpu..!! It'll reduce its life span!

Safe over clocking, is the BEST over clocking!

Cheers!

Good luck!