Sign in with
Your question

Windows won't start after installing sata drivers

Last response: in Motherboards
August 15, 2010 11:48:44 PM

I recently bought an 890GPA-UD3H motherboard with 890gx NB and 850 SB and I have problems trying to use SATA on AHCI mode. Prior to windows instalation, I changed in the BIOS the configuration for both onchip and onboard SATA (6 3.0 ports + 2 aditional 2.0) to AHCI. Everything works perfectly until I install drivers, concretely the ATi Sata driver, when I instal this last one Windos won't start. The "Starting Windows" Screen is freezed and no matter how much I wait or how many times I reboot it won't load untill I change Sata settings back to "Native IDE". Is there any way to get AHCI to work without formatting and re-installing for the third time.
Thanks.
P.S. I'm using Windows 7 Enterprise (volume licence) x64, I also have a licence for Ultimate x64 should I use this one instead?
a b \ Driver
a c 295 V Motherboard
August 16, 2010 3:52:01 AM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

1- Run regedit.
2- Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/Msahci
3- Right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
4- In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
5- Exit the registry editor.

This requires a reboot. so do it. enter ur BIOS Settings and enable AHCI. On boot Windows will detect the changes made and reinstall needed drivers. Requires another reboot.

Sources: here and here
m
l
August 16, 2010 4:05:38 AM

It already had the value of zero for start, is there any other setting I could change to make it work?
m
l
Related resources
a b \ Driver
a c 295 V Motherboard
August 16, 2010 4:09:37 AM

Reboot the rig and select AHCI in the BIOS as Hard drive mode.
m
l
August 16, 2010 4:16:31 AM

Still freezes (no BSOD, only I don't get to the next screen) should I reinstall windows and put preinstallation drivers?
Thanks a lot for your time.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a c 295 V Motherboard
August 16, 2010 4:34:07 AM

Do u have installed the AHCI drivers for the mobo?
m
l
August 16, 2010 5:16:34 AM

saint19 said:
Do u have installed the AHCI drivers for the mobo?

Only from windows, it´s any difference doing it from installer?, I can see the drives without puttung them. (I did it all wrong, didn´t I?)
m
l
a b \ Driver
a c 295 V Motherboard
August 16, 2010 5:41:04 AM

Check this I think that can help u more, as I see u also need change another value in the register (Don't forget a backup before change the register)
m
l
a b \ Driver
a c 716 V Motherboard
August 16, 2010 3:02:36 PM

I assume this problems isn't corrected. You have a couple of choices, and I'm confused "exactly" how you've gotten to this point in WIN 7 x64??!!

My first assumption is that by enabling AHCI without F6 installation of your "AMD" SATA drivers - your rig lacks the "required" (3) drivers. {Cart before the Horse}

After the fact is "messy", first disable ACHI by "Loading Optimized" this will insure all AHCI is set back to IDE. Next, the messy part, assuming Windows loads you can "try" to install the (3) drivers. Then re-enable AHCI.

However if it were me, I would create an "Good Installation DVD" by using nLiteOS and format and reinstall the OS correctly.

1. D/L the AMD SATA drivers (3) ; Pre-install
2. Have a FDD handy <or> create an nLiteOS DVD
3. Correctly install the OS + Drivers

GA - http://gigabyte.com/search/search.aspx?kw=890GPA-UD3H
nLiteOS - http://www.nliteos.com/ ; FAQ - http://www.nliteos.com/faq.html

Example* {REV 2.1 + WIN 7 x64 drivers} - http://gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3516...
*ONLY use the correct MOBO AND OS drivers!
m
l
August 19, 2010 3:05:49 AM

Ok, I partially solved the problem, aparently it has to do with my second hard drive (a 750gb seagate where I store important documents). I just disconected it and re-installed with pre instalation drivers, all runs smooth and AHCI is enabled. But if I plug the drive windos won't start, it just freezes at the "starting windows" screen. I don't think the drive is defective because is newer than the one in which I have windows installed (500gb seagate) and works if I set all to IDE. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks
m
l
a b \ Driver
a c 716 V Motherboard
August 20, 2010 6:50:03 PM

@saint19 - it's the drivers.

As I said "messy." If it were me and knowing real-word, unless those HDDs are going to be "hot-swapped" then I probably would be concerned about AHCI. I doubt it's your HDD, and the drivers are running on AMD SATA not Intel SATA.

{after the fact} If the correct drivers are indeed installed - often I have had to delete the {[+] Disk Drives [+] Drive1...Drivex from the Device Manager tree} and do 1-2 restarts to make certain the drivers for the "Disk Drives" wasn't corrupted which I assume after reading it is corrupted.

I too am assuming these are the SATA2 HDDs within the AMD SATA Controller. If these are SATA3 HDDs then in some instances you'll need a firmware update for the HDDs.

Good Luck!
m
l
August 26, 2010 11:32:36 PM

I installed WIN XP Pro on a GA-870A-UD3 m/b which has the same AMD 850 Southbridge you have with the ATI controller set to AHCI, speed set at 6 GB/s, on a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA 3 GB/s with no problems whatsoever. I did load the ATI AHCI drivers for XP 32bit from a floppy at the F6 prompt when XP was loading from the CD.

First, my Seagate supports UDP which ACHI uses and UDP is set on in the drive's firmware.

I do know this drive "smokes" on the benchmarks. I am getting 210 MB/s on Everest's buffered read benchmarks. I did see a slight drop to 82 MB/s on avg. read benchmark and the random reads did drop to 62 MB/s.
m
l
August 27, 2010 6:47:31 PM

I presently only have one HDD w/ two partitions installed.

Current Boot order is HDD, CD, floppy.

I know from experience that loading XP with two drives installed is a no-no. Ditto for WIN7 from what I am reading. Always best to only have drive enabled that OS is being installed on. However if so loaded, you would have to use a boot manager to set up a dual OS boot selection if OS's installed on separate drives.
m
l
!