Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need to upgrade for Video Editing -- advice?

Last response: in Systems
January 18, 2010 8:26:10 PM

I just received a $200 newegg gift certificate, and would really like to upgrade one of my computers to something a little more video-editing friendly. I can add some additional funds, but would like to keep this as inexpensive as possible (not fancy video editing -- just family stuff; although I'd like to get Adobe Elements someday). My current build has awful video lag and choppiness, and the fan (psu I think) is obnoxiously loud. My children play video games on this computer, but nothing fancy (yet -- they're 10 years old...).

Is it worthwhile to upgrade parts compatible with my current motherboard, or would I be better off with something else? I would assume a new CPU would help quite a bit, but wasn't sure if my motherboard was approaching obsoleteness...

Running Vista Home Prem. (might have Windows 7 soon)
COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
ECS 945P-A (1.1) LGA 775 Intel 945P ATX Motherboard
Intel Celeron D 356 Cedar Mill 3.33GHz 512KB L2 Cache LGA 775 Single-Core Processor
MASSCOOL 8WA741 92mm Ball CPU Cooler
ePOWER ZU-550W ATX12V Version 2.0 / EPS12V 550W Power Supply
2 x Kingston 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory
Patriot 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model PSD21G8002
EVGA 256-P2-N615-TX GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card
SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
SB Audigy pci sound card
DVD drive
Floppy drive
(misc. hard drives -- storage not a problem)
U.S. Robotics USR5417 PCI Wireless MAXg Adapter
monitor, mouse & keyboard

I also have one of these (but only bought it for video conversion -- not sure what else it can do...)
Canopus / Grass Valley Bidirectional Analog/Digital Video Conversion ADVC110 IEEE 1394 Interface

and one of these (less power than mine, but might be quieter)
hec Raptor500 500W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready Passive PFC Power Supply

Thanks very much. mcaren

January 18, 2010 9:39:33 PM

Hmm...

Well, the smartest thing to do is save up for an entirely new PC but I'm assuming you don't want to do that so I will give what I feel is the best option for you and your situation. Just slap this on your motherboard and you will be doing much better.

Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you feel you can spend a little on top of the gift certificate swap out to a more recent video card.

ATi 5770: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ATi 4860: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Either one will be a significant improvement.
m
l
January 18, 2010 9:58:54 PM

If it were me, I'd buy a q8200 for around $150, and get a 4670 to throw in there. For what you are doing it would make a night and day difference. Even an e5200 would be a huge upgrade, and they are stellar overclockers.

Also, if you are running the kingston and the patriot memory at the same time, take the patriot out as you are limiting yourself to single channel by running a third. best to run in sets of two.
m
l
Related resources
January 18, 2010 10:46:46 PM

I am fairly sure that your MB will not support those suggested cpus. I don't think it will accept any core2 or newer cpus. On the ECS website this is the description of the latest bios update "Support new CPU:INTEL Celeron D 355(G1 stepping),INTEL Cedar mill CPU: 651 and 661,INTEL Prescott CPU: 662 and 672 with VT".

I would go for a setup with a i3 and MB like this (or similar AMD setup) and some Ram like this or this.

Otherwise I would just add more ram to your existing system because I don't see it being worth a cpu upgrade since it can't go with a core2 or later cpu.
m
l
January 19, 2010 5:53:55 AM

Ancient_1 said:
I am fairly sure that your MB will not support those suggested cpus. I don't think it will accept any core2 or newer cpus. On the ECS website this is the description of the latest bios update "Support new CPU:INTEL Celeron D 355(G1 stepping),INTEL Cedar mill CPU: 651 and 661,INTEL Prescott CPU: 662 and 672 with VT"

Confirmed

Sorry about giving you the wrong information. Saw socket 775 and thought you would be all set. I don't know why they insist on confusing people with specific CPU restrictions for the same socket. I think you should start investing in another CPU/Motherboard platform as said before. Its really not worth throwing in a new CPU if its not a Core2 or later.
m
l
January 19, 2010 11:39:47 AM

Thank you all for your responses. I think my current CPU choice was a budget-oriented downgrade -- an act of desperation after having endless BSODs while using an Intel Core Duo -- (I think the Newegg site showed the former as compatible with my MB, but the actual MB site did not...). Anyway, I appreciate the advice about memory (did not know the pairing thing).

I take it that new CPU/memory will make a more substantial improvement than a new video card?

Thanks again. mcaren
m
l
January 19, 2010 11:49:44 AM

One more question -- not sure if this constitutes another thread, but I don't know anything about 32-bit vs. 64-bit stuff. Can you tell in Newegg specs whether or not a device is 64-bit compatible? (Is it even hardware-specific in the first place?) I can't afford a new OS right now, but it might be a nice option for later... Thanks again. mcaren
m
l
January 19, 2010 1:02:18 PM

Oh -- and one more thing -- is AMD out of the picture? I've never built an AMD computer, and don't know the pros/cons... Thanks. mcaren
m
l

Best solution

January 19, 2010 2:34:43 PM

Most hardware is not 32-64bit specific. Shouldn't make a difference, its all in the drivers. For video editing, yes, a new CPU and motherbord and memory will benefit you more than a new GPU as most video editing is done on the CPU.

As for AMD, far from it, and actually it depends on how much you want to spend. I am guessing you want to go as cheap as possible, and the new athlon x4's give you a quad core for $99. Not that you would necessarily need anything quite that beefy for home video, but for budget AMD is more or less the way to go right now.

*edit* And sorry as well for the advice earlier I did the same as BohleyK and just saw socket 775. Thanks Intel :sarcastic: 
January 19, 2010 4:53:46 PM

Thank you zach538467 -- I might just try the AMD route (yes, cheap is good). Might be a nice change; I've had shaky luck with Intel CPUs in the past.

(No problem about the socket 775 oops -- I did the same thing while purchasing parts for my current machine with really bad results...)

Thanks again. mcaren
m
l
January 29, 2010 12:45:44 AM

Best answer selected by mcaren.
m
l
!