Sign in with
Your question

60GB SSD showing only 40 gb available?

Last response: in Storage
January 11, 2012 11:30:13 PM

Hi,
I have a problem regarding OCZ Vertex 60GB SSD.
It only shows about 40.9 GB Available. I installed it in my Lenovo y470.
I know windows use some files as back up or etc etc, but about 20 GB of it?
Where is the 20Gb and where can I get it?

Thank you in advance!

More about : 60gb ssd showing

a b G Storage
January 11, 2012 11:59:22 PM

That's the whole Windows OS. That's about how much it takes. It's not backup; it's just the operating system. To recover some space, turn off hibernation by running Command Prompt as an administrator (right-click on it and select that option) and entering "powercfg -h off". You will no longer be able to hibernate, but you should recover a few gigabytes.
m
l
January 12, 2012 12:04:04 AM

Nice! I managed to get an extra 6 GB of space. I guess 60GB SSD was a bad choice. Should have gone for a bit higher. No more hibernation could come back and hunt me in the long run... Thank you!
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
January 12, 2012 12:05:51 AM

Eh. Hibernation's not really useful. Today's power article says that sleeping uses virtually the same amount of power as shutting the computer down and leaving it plugged in, since it takes so little energy to keep RAM going.
m
l
January 12, 2012 12:11:16 AM

If you have another hard drive, I would move the hibernation file to there.
m
l
a b G Storage
January 12, 2012 12:24:55 AM

We're talking about a laptop here, and I don't think you can move the hiberfil.
m
l
a b G Storage
January 12, 2012 1:30:32 AM

Yes you can fit 2 HDD in a laptop (some 15" and most 17" and above laptop have 2 HDD bay or put HDD in OD bay with a OD bay caddy (y470 with 2 HDD will need this upgrade path). But the thing is wake from HDD hibernation is about as fast as a fresh boot from SSD, so why hibernate on HDD? Unless you are really picky and don't want to save work before power off and too lazy to start the program you were using previously.

Also try lower the pagefile (if you have 8GB RAM) and disable restore point.
m
l
January 12, 2012 11:53:46 PM

I just found out another partition thing that lenovo makes. I have about 14Gb of partitioned spaced that was used for something else.
I just delete it and got it back. I wonder what I deleted.. LOL..
I guess I find out in a day or two..

Here's the link in case anyone wants to know..
http://jaredheinrichs.com/how-to-delete-oem-partition.h...
m
l
a b G Storage
January 13, 2012 12:01:25 AM

Ah. You've deleted some recovery things so that Lenovo can say they've got you covered if something breaks. You're OK. Just keep a recovery disk handy (make one; it's easy) and PLEASE BACK UP TO ANOTHER DRIVE.
m
l
January 21, 2012 11:39:49 PM

I have a similar problem as the OP, except I am about to install windows on a supposedly 64 GB SSD, and in the install screen it's showing 59.6GB. while 4.4 GB isn't as much as the OP was missing, I'm still wondering where it went. Could it be that Crucial also has some recovery software or something on it? Thanks for the help!
m
l
a b G Storage
January 22, 2012 12:06:20 AM

Formatting will lose you a couple of gigabytes. That, sadly, is totally unavoidable.
m
l
January 22, 2012 12:47:05 AM

That... is unfortunate. Oh well.
m
l
a c 265 G Storage
January 22, 2012 12:59:59 AM

0rangematter said:
I have a similar problem as the OP, except I am about to install windows on a supposedly 64 GB SSD, and in the install screen it's showing 59.6GB. while 4.4 GB isn't as much as the OP was missing, I'm still wondering where it went. Could it be that Crucial also has some recovery software or something on it? Thanks for the help!

That is the trick with storage manufacturers calling it 64GB = 64,000,000,000bytes if you divide that number with 1024 (2^10) 3 times which is the actual number of bytes in a KB and KB in MB and MB in GB you will get 59.6GB so really you do not loose anything it is just sized wrong by the manufacturers!
m
l
a b G Storage
January 22, 2012 1:01:00 AM

^That too.
m
l
January 22, 2012 4:18:41 AM

rolli59 said:
That is the trick with storage manufacturers calling it 64GB = 64,000,000,000bytes if you divide that number with 1024 (2^10) 3 times which is the actual number of bytes in a KB and KB in MB and MB in GB you will get 59.6GB so really you do not loose anything it is just sized wrong by the manufacturers!

.... well that's simply misleading then, isn't it? oh well, it's working fine, so I guess I really don't have much to complain about. Thanks for the math!
m
l
a b G Storage
January 22, 2012 4:52:15 AM

0rangematter said:

The definition of "gigabyte" varies between what the drive manufacturers use and what Windows uses. But 59GB remaining from a 64GB drive is about right.

Some laptops come from the factory with the original OS image stored in a hidden partition. If you clone the whole original drive to a new drive you will get this. In fact I just cloned a SSD for my Toshiba T135 and it had a hidden partition of 8GB. I chose to go ahead and let my cloning software copy all of the partitions rather than trying to clone individual partitions manually. I thought if I needed that 8GB of space later I could delete that partition and add the space to the C: partition.

I think a 64GB SSD is plenty for the a laptop if you don't intend to store a lot of data on it. If you intend to store a lot of music, and particularly movies, then you will need more space. I had a few movies on my laptop but I deleted them prior to the cloning and got my entire disk usage below about 40GB. My daughter's similar laptop has almost 200GB used.
m
l
!