.Net framework

Hi guys,

I have looked on Google for this and cant find an answer. I was going to
install Sim PE and Sims2 Pack Installer but they said I need the .net
framework installed. I asked about that a little while back and was told it
is nothing dangerous for the computer etc etc, but that it does change
things around a little. That's what I wanted to know, what does it change?
I guess I want to get these programs installed so I can check out my
downloads a little better.
Thanks for any help,
Beck.
10 answers Last reply
More about framework

    "Beck" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > Hi guys,
    >
    > I have looked on Google for this and cant find an answer. I was going to
    > install Sim PE and Sims2 Pack Installer but they said I need the .net
    > framework installed. I asked about that a little while back and was told
    > it is nothing dangerous for the computer etc etc, but that it does change
    > things around a little. That's what I wanted to know, what does it change?
    > I guess I want to get these programs installed so I can check out my
    > downloads a little better.
    > Thanks for any help,
    > Beck.

    ..Net framework 1.1 from Microsoft - you need goto Windows Update...and
    download from that...

    I know where to download it from I am just wondering what it does in the way
    of changing my computer.
    Thanks,
    Beck.

    > I know where to download it from I am just wondering what it does
    > in the way of changing my computer.

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-
    us/dndotnet/html/faq111700.asp

    or

    http://snipurl.com/g8yq

    --
    Mike
    Prosperity will have its seasons

    >I know where to download it from I am just wondering what it does in the
    >way of changing my computer.

    Why not ask those who made the claims?

    As an end user, you might see a couple of extra icons in Control Panel
    (under Admin Tools) and a boatload of new files under your %windir% folder,
    but there's really nothing you need to feel concerned about, at least to
    about the same extent as you would have felt concerned about the old VB6
    runtime back in the days...

    In other words, if you need it, install it, then you can forget about it.

    On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 09:06:12 -0400, "Homer J. Simpson" <root@127.0.0.1>
    wrote:

    :>>I know where to download it from I am just wondering what it does in the
    :>>way of changing my computer.
    :>
    :>Why not ask those who made the claims?
    :>
    :>As an end user, you might see a couple of extra icons in Control Panel
    :>(under Admin Tools) and a boatload of new files under your %windir% folder,
    :>but there's really nothing you need to feel concerned about, at least to
    :>about the same extent as you would have felt concerned about the old VB6
    :>runtime back in the days...

    And VB1 and VB2 and VB3 and VB4 and VB5 that each required its own set of
    runtime libraries to run programs written in those "languages". From what
    I've read .NET is really just VB7 with the name changed to disassociate it
    from the word "basic".

    :>In other words, if you need it, install it, then you can forget about it.

    Yep, and lately I've seen some commercial programs that need it and install
    it as part of the setup if you don't already have it. So at some point
    you're going to need it anyway so why not get it over with now?

    me/2

    > And VB1 and VB2 and VB3 and VB4 and VB5 that each required its own set of
    > runtime libraries to run programs written in those "languages". From what
    > I've read .NET is really just VB7 with the name changed to disassociate it
    > from the word "basic".

    It's really a lot more than "just VB7", as VB support is really more of an
    afterthought in .NET. Old-fashioned VB6 "programmers" (and I use that term
    loosely) hate it because it's oh-so-different than what they're used
    to...VB.NET is little more than "some version of VB bastardized to fit the
    ..NET mold".

    The .NET runtime is more akin to the Java runtime...except that more than
    one language is supported (C#, VB.NET, managed C++, J#, plus others, such as
    Python, from third-parties). It's successful enough on web servers (people
    rave about ASP.NET, at least when compared to its predecessor), but as far
    as client software goes, it's an abysmal failure (IMHO) and will remain so
    until that huge runtime library becomes part of Windows and *that* version
    of Windows itself becomes the prevalent OS on the market. Translation: 5-8
    years at the earliest, if you're exceedingly optimistic. In the meantime, I
    find that reason good enough to stay away from it when it comes to writing
    end-user software. If some silly little utility requires the .NET
    framework, I roll my eyes and move onto something else (especially since a
    lot of them are "VB6-caliber" utilities written by hobbyists)...

    > :>In other words, if you need it, install it, then you can forget about
    > it.
    >
    > Yep, and lately I've seen some commercial programs that need it and
    > install
    > it as part of the setup if you don't already have it. So at some point
    > you're going to need it anyway so why not get it over with now?

    No doubt, but all I'm saying is that from a developer's perspective, it's
    still way too early to require the end user to have the .NET framework...

    All my opinion, of course... :-)

    Thanks guys, I downloaded it. I guess if I am not happy with it I can
    uninstall it.
    Thank you for all replies,
    Beck.
    "Beck" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > Hi guys,
    >
    > I have looked on Google for this and cant find an answer. I was going to
    > install Sim PE and Sims2 Pack Installer but they said I need the .net
    > framework installed. I asked about that a little while back and was told
    > it is nothing dangerous for the computer etc etc, but that it does change
    > things around a little. That's what I wanted to know, what does it change?
    > I guess I want to get these programs installed so I can check out my
    > downloads a little better.
    > Thanks for any help,
    > Beck.

    Take it from someone who's programmed in both VB 6 and VB.NET. The .NET
    version of Visual Basic is a very different beast that it's predecessors.

    "me/2" <null@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 09:06:12 -0400, "Homer J. Simpson" <root@127.0.0.1>
    > wrote:
    >
    > :>>I know where to download it from I am just wondering what it does in
    > the
    > :>>way of changing my computer.
    > :>
    > :>Why not ask those who made the claims?
    > :>
    > :>As an end user, you might see a couple of extra icons in Control Panel
    > :>(under Admin Tools) and a boatload of new files under your %windir%
    > folder,
    > :>but there's really nothing you need to feel concerned about, at least to
    > :>about the same extent as you would have felt concerned about the old VB6
    > :>runtime back in the days...
    >
    > And VB1 and VB2 and VB3 and VB4 and VB5 that each required its own set of
    > runtime libraries to run programs written in those "languages". From what
    > I've read .NET is really just VB7 with the name changed to disassociate it
    > from the word "basic".
    >
    > :>In other words, if you need it, install it, then you can forget about
    > it.
    >
    > Yep, and lately I've seen some commercial programs that need it and
    > install
    > it as part of the setup if you don't already have it. So at some point
    > you're going to need it anyway so why not get it over with now?
    >
    > me/2

    I installed it and have not had any problems so far... but the fact that you
    say its a "beast" worries me. Do you have issues with this .net thing? Just
    wondering.
    Beck.

    >I installed it and have not had any problems so far... but the fact that
    >you say its a "beast" worries me. Do you have issues with this .net thing?
    >Just wondering.
    > Beck.
    > "Schfooge" <schfooge@NOSPAMFORME.rogers.com> wrote in message
    >> Take it from someone who's programmed in both VB 6 and VB.NET. The .NET
    >> version of Visual Basic is a very different beast that it's predecessors.
    >>

    >> "me/2" <null@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    >>> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 09:06:12 -0400, "Homer J. Simpson" <root@127.0.0.1>
    >>> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> :>>I know where to download it from I am just wondering what it does in
    >>> the
    >>> :>>way of changing my computer.
    >>> :>
    >>> :>Why not ask those who made the claims?
    >>> :>
    >>> :>As an end user, you might see a couple of extra icons in Control Panel
    >>> :>(under Admin Tools) and a boatload of new files under your %windir%
    >>> folder,
    >>> :>but there's really nothing you need to feel concerned about, at least
    >>> :>about the same extent as you would have felt concerned about the old
    >>> VB6
    >>> :>runtime back in the days...
    >>>
    >>> And VB1 and VB2 and VB3 and VB4 and VB5 that each required its own set
    >>> of
    >>> runtime libraries to run programs written in those "languages". From
    >>> what
    >>> I've read .NET is really just VB7 with the name changed to disassociate
    >>> it
    >>> from the word "basic".
    >>>
    >>> :>In other words, if you need it, install it, then you can forget about
    >>> it.
    >>>
    >>> Yep, and lately I've seen some commercial programs that need it and
    >>> install
    >>> it as part of the setup if you don't already have it. So at some point
    >>> you're going to need it anyway so why not get it over with now?
    >>>
    >>> me/2

    There is nothing wrong with .net
    It installs itself with XP if you get a new version of XP.
    Most of the naysayers are just Microsoft bigots.

Sims Framework Video Games