Sign in with
Your question

New Speakers. What's Best?

Last response: in Components
March 24, 2010 5:29:29 PM

Here's my situation. I currently have a set up Bose Companion 5 speakers for my main rig, and a Klipsch Promedia 2.1 set for my server. The reason I I got the new Bose was that the Klipsch cable that went into the sub (the midi looking cable) must have a wire messed up, keeps shorting out. My problem with the Bose is that it it's USB, and every so often (only in games) it will cut out, and I have to un plug, and re plug it back in. (shouldn't have to do that for $400 speakers).

Sound wise, the Bose sound a decent bit better than the Klipsch, but the klipsch has a lot more ass in the bass. I'm trying to figure out what the best speakers for a PC are. I have a ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe mobo with I believe onboard HD Audio, I can't upgrade to an aftermarket sound card as my video cards are using all the slots. Any help is greatly appreciated.

More about : speakers

March 24, 2010 6:25:27 PM

Maybe a set of Boston Acoustics speakers, or possibly some some JBL's. My Boston Acoustic set with a sub have nice sound and some good bass. The model I have are the BA635 set.
m
l
March 24, 2010 7:20:11 PM

There are so many options it really depends on your goals and budget.

Bose are good just get the ones that connect normally, not through usb. Also bose will always have limited bass they are design to recreate a even balanced sound, not rattle the walls.

Klipsch are fairly common in the computer world though I think bose sound better.

regardless either of the speakers you listed isn't playing anywhere near it's capabilities with that on-board sound. With this level of speaker you NEED a discrete sound card. Asus makes some great cards for under $100, though i have heard of some issues with eax may or may not be resolved at this point that was a while ago. Don't know I don't game.
m
l
Related resources
March 24, 2010 11:28:29 PM

The Bose have their own soundboard built in, they are USB driven. They sound excellent, except for the bass not really getting loud enough at higher volumes. As stated before, Discrete is not an option b/c I I don't have any expansion slots to use. I am not an audiophile or anything really. I'm just tired of the bose cutting out.
m
l
March 25, 2010 5:49:12 AM

as stated above bose are never going to have a heavy bass line

audiphile or not you are wasting money on speakers if you don't get a sound card, it's like getting a ferrari and driving 15mph. whats the point

if all you care about is them not cutting out get speakers that aren't usb
m
l
March 25, 2010 11:47:56 AM

+1 for the logitech they are great i even have their lowest model on another rig the x540 that I got fo $85 at best buy and they sound quite amazing for being so cheap.
m
l
March 25, 2010 2:49:07 PM

ronaldwishart said:
I have a few mates with these speakers and all i can say is WOW... DVD's, games , Partys...these babies have never let us down! ANd boy are they LOUD! and the Bass is incredible...

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_p...

I have those speakers, and for sound quality the bose and kilpsh beat them by far
m
l
!