Unknown Component Overheating

p0odd

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
So my computer has started randomly restarting lately so I checked my temps for abnormalities and found this: http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8633/random1q.jpg (Don't worry about the GPU temps, the card is designed to run that hot)

So, has anybody got an idea on what this might be? (I thought it might have been the northbridge so I altered its frequencies but the temps didn't change so i guess thats not it..)

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Your CPU temps are fairly hot too. Is this under load or while idle? 60C at idle is way too hot. This in itself could be the reason your system is restarting as under load those temps will rise again.

Are you overclocking? Are you using the stock heatsink and fan unit? Does your case have good airflow since the temperature of your components will always be in proportion to the air around them. This is a good guide to the basics of case ariflow:

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=42853

branflakes71

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It probably is the northbridge. What's the brand of the motherboard? I know some MSI boards (like mine) where the bridge runs hot, but is well within specs (same temp as what you've got in that pic).

I agree it looks like your power supply is going bad and is causing the restart issue.

Bombhead

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
I've had 2 Gigabyte motherboards and the TMPIN2 has read 78 degrees on both from bootup. It never fluctuates no matter what program/game is running. I understand it is some glitch and nothing to worry about. But, like someone else said, those CPU temps are way too hot. If you are running at stock I'd reseat the heatsink, (clean it first and apply some TIM.)

Download, install, and run CoreTemp and RealTemp. Compare those temperature readings to the CPUID readings. Post the results.

The temperature you circled in red is not a cpu core temperature. The three temps listed in that section are for several other sensors on the motherboard. Their location depends on the brand and model of the cpu.

p0odd

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010

what consequences could this have?

p0odd

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010

Yeah I know, I just wanted to make sure that it was nothing to worry about. Anyways, I'm totally aware of the cpu situation and thats probably the culprit in this situation too. I was planning to get a new cooler but then i discovered this and wanted to know if it also was something that had to be redeemed (perhaps you were pertaining to that I posted this under cpu, just couldn't find a better category lol :p)

p0odd

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
btw the low voltages can't possibly be related to the fact that my cpu and ram currently are seriously underclocked? (as a desperate measure until i get some new cooling)

branflakes71

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Nope, underclocking does not cause the voltage issue you see. If that reading is correct, your power supply is not providing enough power on that line. Means a bad power supply.

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008

A bad PSU can cause
random reboots, BSOD, software not working correctly, data corruption,...
and any other number of random, intermittent, difficult to trace, problems

p0odd

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010

all right. had to ask cus i found it kinda unlikely that there was ANOTHER thing that could be responsible for the random restarts. gaaaaaahhh! :/

But thanks for the input man. I've always found my computer to be slower than it ought to be, proportionate to the hardware. It might have been a faulty PSU from the start..