Overclocking an FX-4100

so i got an FX-4100 black edition which i want to OC.
since i'v spend enough money on my rig, i want to OC to 4.6 so i wont have to buy a new cooler, and i'v heard it's really easy.
so pretty much all i need to know is the ups and downs. i mean sure, the performance will increase, but what will i lose from OC? also i would like to know how... i am a noob at everything that hardware so every help will come in handy. also i have a ga-880gm-d2h motherboard if it has anything to do with it. thanks for the replies! :D
18 answers Last reply
More about overclocking 4100
  1. The FX CPUs don't have Black Editions. They are all unlocked.

Also, for 4.6GHz, you might be better off with a new cooler. I know that you might get there even with the stock cooler, but it will probably be loud and/or not exceptionally cool.

You lose a lot of power efficiency from overclocking and if you do it improperly, you can also lose stability. If you somehow manage to really botch it (not easy to do unless you try to), then you might also cause damage to some hardware components, but there are many fail-safe features to prevent that.
  2. look i dont think you should OC becuse you alredy have a good pc preformance and you cant know what will happen if you OC like your coller is dont strong egnogh to hold the heat.
    i think you should try litle OC for the start and then litle bit more every time or switch coller if you have money for that.
  3. thanks! but are you sure my CPU will over-heat? because some people say that the stock fan will handle it. also what do you mean by loud? it is after all a gas fan... doesn't that make it quitter? also what clock speed wont make it overheat? and as for the good performance, right now the FX competes with the i3. when OC'd this CPU come pretty close to some of the best i5 and the AMD's six cores CPU, so i think it kinda worth it. thanks for the quick reply!
  4. rollerball398 said:
    look i dont think you should OC becuse you alredy have a good pc preformance and you cant know what will happen if you OC like your coller is dont strong egnogh to hold the heat.
    i think you should try litle OC for the start and then litle bit more every time or switch coller if you have money for that.

You should always increase an overclock incrementally if you want to increase the overclock regardless of the cooler and any other situation. Also, the stock cooler should be able to handle the heat (although 4.4 or 4.5GHz might be its limit rather than 4.6GHz), I'm more worried about the noise factor than the heat.
  5. i don't quit understand :P.... can you explain?
    anyway so should I OC it 0.5 every time? and how do i know when does my CPU reaches it's limits? and if it does, how do i get it back to were it was earlier?
    and even if it doesn't go near an i5 or six cores CPU, the performance of this CPU gets about 30% higher when overclocked.
  6. Avinoam73 said:
    thanks! but are you sure my CPU will over-heat? because some people say that the stock fan will handle it. also what do you mean by loud? it is after all a gas fan... doesn't that make it quitter? also what clock speed wont make it overheat? and as for the good performance, right now the FX competes with the i3. when OC'd this CPU come pretty close to some of the best i5 and the AMD's six cores CPU, so i think it kinda worth it. thanks for the quick reply!

How well a CPU overclocks depends on the individual CPUs. All CPUs, even with the same model number, are not created equal. You'd have to test its limits after you have it to find them. Also, I have no idea what you mean by gas fan. There is no natural gas or gasoline being used here and the stock cooler wil probably get a little loud.

You won't get near an i5 in overclocking performance.

You won't get near any AMD six core Phenom II nor FX CPU in overclocking performance.
  7. One FX-4100 might overclock to say 4.5GHz on a certain voltage, but another FX-4100 might need more or less voltage than the other. If they need more, then they can't overclock as well because they use more power and generate more heat at a given performance level. This is what I mean by all CPUs not being equal. We're both humans, very similar because we both (at least at one time) have two legs, two arms, a head, and so on, but we're not the exact same. For example, maybe you need to eat more food than I do to stay sated enough to do strenuous exercise, maybe you need to eat less. It's a similar concept except the CPU can't change how much power it needs for a certain frequency whereas we can change our diet and to an extent, our bodies will adapt.
  8. Avinoam73 said:
    so how big will my steps be? 0.5 at a time? 0.3 at a time?
    and thanks bro you seem very smart!

I'd do it in steps of 100MHz (0.1GHz), but that's me. Thanks.
  9. so how big will my steps be? 0.5 at a time? 0.3 at a time?
    and thanks bro you seem very smart!
  10. so, i know that i need to disable cool'n'quite. i just don't know how. you know what? i'll go honest with you, i need instructions. you seem like someone with experience, so i'll be happy for your help.
    thanks bro. you helped a lot!!!!
  11. Avinoam73 said:
    so, i know that i need to disable cool'n'quite. i just don't know how. you know what? i'll go honest with you, i need instructions. you seem like someone with experience, so i'll be happy for your help.
    thanks bro. you helped a lot!!!!

Yes, that'd be a good idea.

To be honest, an online guide (especially one that has your motherboard) would probably give better instructions.

I can say that there should be BIOS options for disabling cool'n'quiet. They might have different names, especially shortened versions of that name, but they should be in the BIOS.
  12. thanks. do you know where can i find a guide with my motherboard in it? :ange:
  13. Google should be able to find you something at least relevant. I'll look, but I also recommend trying to look yourself too.
  14. ok thanks!
  15. is there any chance that my mobo wont support any OC settings? and what could happen if i'll do it wrong?
  16. Avinoam73 said:
    is there any chance that my mobo wont support any OC settings? and what could happen if i'll do it wrong?

Sorry that I haven't gotten back to you so far, but I've got so many other threads going right now too :( My fault, I shouldn't have gotten into so many.

You can enter your BIOS to check.
  17. ok i will... sorry if bothered you so far... thanks for the help though!
  18. You haven't bothered me at all, it's my own fault. I should have managed myself better. I was glad to help.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking