Sign in with
Your question

Fan noise of 5850

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 12, 2010 4:49:54 PM

Hi. I got a question . Is this normal that sometimes i dont hear fan of ati 5850 when i boot pc ? Its very rare.
The most time i hear and this is for 3-4 seconds, and this is normal . But why very rare i dont hear this fan ?

I dont play games at this time , only windows , so card dont stress

More about : fan noise 5850

January 12, 2010 4:52:39 PM

card: Gigabyte 5850
psu: Be Quiet DArk Power Pro 1000W
mobo: Asus Striker II NSE
January 13, 2010 1:12:04 AM

maybe the fan speed is too low so u can't hear the noise... :) 
just check it at ATI CCC, u can see there what speed of your card's fan.
Check the temps to make sure your card is not overheating.
Related resources
January 15, 2010 9:15:42 PM

When set on automatic fan speed control (which is the default. It will be on automatic unless you changed it in catalyst control center) the fan on the 5850 is very quiet. You wont hear the fan in most cases unless you turn up the fan speed manually. Not hearing the fan is generally a good thing, but check that it is working in catalyst control center.

''The most time i hear and this is for 3-4 seconds, and this is normal''. Not quite sure what you mean here??
January 15, 2010 9:25:26 PM

I think he means during post. Mine does the same thing. Don't worry about it, its fine.
January 25, 2010 1:21:49 PM

litwicki23 said:
Hi. I got a question . Is this normal that sometimes i dont hear fan of ati 5850 when i boot pc ? Its very rare.
The most time i hear and this is for 3-4 seconds, and this is normal . But why very rare i dont hear this fan ?

I dont play games at this time , only windows , so card dont stress

actually mine is doing the exact opposite!

on REboot, but not fresh boots (altho it was doing that at first), the fans spins up 7 or 8 times!

bizarrio!

possibly 400w psu ain't enough, just about to stick a 500w in there and see what happens..
January 25, 2010 5:35:15 PM

My HD 5850 runs pretty quietly even while gaming.

Upon boot up it doesn't sound too loud.
!