Vostro 1510 flashing number lock

jose_99

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
My laptop Vostro 1510 is now dead.

When i switch it on, it just flashes the num lock continuously and scroll led and caps led are steadily lit.

It all happened suddenly. Can anybody pin point the failure please, ??

COLGeek

Cybernaut
If the system is still under warranty, I would recommend you contact Dell. Also, you should check dell.com/support to see if this is a common problem via their support forums.

Sounds like you have power, but the system fails to boot. Given that, I would suspect that the motherboard is defective. Does anything show up on the display?

Try this. Remove the AC adapter and battery. Push the power button to discharge any residual power in the system. Wait 30 secs. Only connect the AC adapter (do not install the battery). Attempt to power on the system. If it boots successfully, execute a shutdown and install the battery and try again. If it boots, you may be fine. If none of these help, it may be time for a new motherboard in the Vostro.

Call Dell. You have nothing to lose if these tips don't help.

Good luck!!!

matt3000

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011

I have contacted DELL on this same issue, and this particular flash code indicates a MOTHERBOARD failure.

Also, I hate that this particular fact was so difficult to find on the internet! I'm going to post it everywhere.
This happened to me on my Lattitude E6500 recently, (though, it's not dead yet). I have yet to get the thing replaced.

meahdi

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
my vostro 1520 is luck like your laptop
num led flashing
i`m release and re install bios battery and laptop now working :D
test this and send me about your laptop to this mail : mehdi.tahmuresi@gmail.com

dandugi

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
Found this on another site:
Reseat (remove and reinstall) both memory modules. One is under a cover at the bottom of the system and the other is under the keyboard.

I did this, finding that the one under the keyboard was actually bad. I took the one from the bottom and stuck it under the keyboard until my new stick of memory comes in.

jorzallan

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013
replaced the motherboard but still doesn't work and even replaced the cpu doesnt work either. any solution to that?