Just got old generic pc (OS: Win XP Pro) & it only has 256 memory

OldAsDirt999

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
Hello,
I just bought an old generic PC running 32-bit Windows XP Pro (not the one I'm on now, although this one is also XP Pro); it's very slow to open programs, so I looked at System Information and saw it only has 256 RAM. I'm thinking I should at least bring it up to 512 like this one, but not sure what to get. It's an old Pentium III desktop and I'll basically be using the Internet and MS Office on it. Will the ddr pc2 5700 (or 5300 or whatever it's called) ram fit in this kind of machine? Is that the appropriate one to add?

Solution
Is there a brand name? If not then check the motherboard brand and model, if you do an internet search on it you should get the specs on it. It also wouldn't hurt to see if you got an excess amount of programs running in the background at startup. You can use CCleaner and Defraggler to see if that helps the system any. The registry check CCleaner might speed things up a bit as well. I would back up the registry just in case.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
Is there a brand name? If not then check the motherboard brand and model, if you do an internet search on it you should get the specs on it. It also wouldn't hurt to see if you got an excess amount of programs running in the background at startup. You can use CCleaner and Defraggler to see if that helps the system any. The registry check CCleaner might speed things up a bit as well. I would back up the registry just in case.

Solution

OldAsDirt999

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

:hello: Thank you very much for answering my question. No, there's no brand name. I will check the motherboard when I get home tomorrow. I don't have internet access on it yet, but it has some kind of free cleaner on the desktop. Maybe I'll take CCleaner copy on USB stick from this computer and see if it runs on it.