Solved

Pci vs pci 2.1

I have an X-fi extreem gamer sound card which I want to upgrade to an X-fi elite. The elite requires a pci 2.1 slot, and I believe the extreem gamer card is a regular pci card.Are the 2 cards interchangeable?
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about tomshardware
  1. Best answer
    The original PCI slots revision 2.1 was released in 1995. If your computer is newer than 1995, then yes.
  2. enzo matrix said:
    The original PCI slots revision 2.1 was released in 1995. If your computer is newer than 1995, then yes.

Yes, my computer is a 2009 model ASUS Intel core I7. 9 gigs of memory, 1-tb hd. Although I am learning a bit about computers, I do not know a bunch. I do know the Creative soundblaster x-fi extreem gamer card fits in the slot and works just fine. Yet with the amount of external amp power I am running for professional sound quality, I wanted to up grade to something better. The soundcard I was eye balling requires a PCI 2.1 slot and for the price it cost, I just wanted to make sure it would fit and work properly.
  3. Just make sure you only use a PCI card in a PCI slot and a PCI-Express card in a PCI-Express slot, and you'll be fine.
  4. thefivetheory said:
    Just make sure you only use a PCI card in a PCI slot and a PCI-Express card in a PCI-Express slot, and you'll be fine.

So what your saying is a PCI slot is no different than a PCI-2 slot?
  5. Paulbeeall said:
    So what your saying is a PCI slot is no different than a PCI-2 slot?

Yes. If the slot looks like this, the new sound card you want will fit.

If the slot looks like one of these, it's PCI-Express and a PCI card (like this) will not fit. Only a PCI-E card (like this) will fit.

I know the card pictures above are for cards that aren't sound cards, but the connector is the same.
  6. Best answer selected by Paulbeeall.
  7. thefivetheory said:
    Yes. If the slot looks like this, the new sound card you want will fit.

If the slot looks like one of these, it's PCI-Express and a PCI card (like this) will not fit. Only a PCI-E card (like this) will fit.

I know the card pictures above are for cards that aren't sound cards, but the connector is the same.

Thank you I appreciate your valuable input.
Ask a new question

Read More

Sound Cards PCI Elite Components Product