Sign in with
Your question

Programming PC

Last response: in Systems
January 19, 2010 1:22:24 AM

Hi,

I’m not a gamer person, I’m into web development/design… I guess this is heavy on the processor instead of the graphic cards, am I correct? I'm still using my old-pc P4 with 1G of RAM, 128 graphics card and 150G HDD. I'm a noob about building a new pc specifically pc's for programming (if there is one).

I also use VMWare (multiple OS) heavily and most of the time my pc hangs because of this but I need that VM.

In my case, can I get myself a new build under $600-$700? Powerful enough that I could do programming stuffs, movie/picture edits and running multiple OS (only two) at the same time?

I was thinking in getting an Intel processor, like my old-pc, but yet again, I don't know what's next. And one thing, I will use Windows 7 and used Microsoft technologies, does adding more RAM helps?

I hope you guys could recommend the right programming pc for me! :) 

-imperialx

More about : programming

a b B Homebuilt system
January 19, 2010 5:52:20 AM

Look at the sticky for detailing a new build. That way people can use specific numbers and know how much exactly they can use. Oh and give a deadset number for the budget. I've seen plenty of times where people say a number because they're expecting it to be super-expensive when a fairly good (would blow what you've got out of the water) AMD CPU/mobo/RAM could be gotten for about $300. And then people hand them builds with the super high number they said.

In this particular case though, you've said 1. You want an intel and I can tell that 2. You don't upgrade often. I personally don't like the i5 socket specifically because it really isn't upgrader friendly. In this case that doesn't matter since you'll probably wait a similar amount of time again. As such I recommend a i5 build with, say a 4670 GPU (more GPU than you need, but you really don't want to use intel integrated, that stuff is terrible), and 4 gigs of RAM.
Related resources
January 19, 2010 8:39:58 AM

Hi guys!

@False_Dmitry_II:

I really don't know what brand or model I'm getting from the budget I have. ;(

@vanekl:

I was thinking of getting myself a desktop, sorry I didn't tell. ;) 

-imperialx
a b B Homebuilt system
January 19, 2010 1:42:58 PM

If you want to build one, here is the option.
You can also use these parts as a measure for your purchase of a desktop.

CPU: Intel Core i3-530 Clarkdale 2.93GHz LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Model BX80616I3530 - Retail

MOBO: EVGA 123-CD-E635-KR LGA 1156 Intel H55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH - Retail

HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard
Drive - OEM

PSU: Antec earthwatts EA500 500W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.0 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC "Compatible ... - Retail

GPU: XFX Radeon HD 5670

DVD: SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223B - OEM

Case: Antec Two Hundred Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
January 19, 2010 2:04:03 PM

I don't think that 5670 is necessary. You could easily cut that down to $50 by getting a 4650, which will probably be overkill for what you want to do.

As for the motherboard you can go with the Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 and save an instant $30 off that EVGA and you'd also get the new SATA III and USB 3.0. The benefits from the EVGA are not really what you need.
a b L Programming
January 19, 2010 2:11:23 PM

Pretty much every GPU is overkill for programming unless you do game programming. Just get any non-crap discrete cheap GPU like POWERCOLOR AX4350 (2 digital outputs if you go dual creen).

Moreover, I would try to go for an i7-860, it costs more, but you get Quad core + HT which can be good for VM.
a b L Programming
January 20, 2010 2:36:03 PM

All LGA1156 only support dual-channel memory not triple so a 3-dimm kit isn't the way to go. Moreover, why memory so fast? The default memory speed for any of the iX series is 1066MHz I think, anything above that is "overclocking". If you want the OC room, just go a bit more conservative and get something like Corsair XMS3 8GB and save ~100$. You can then put that money toward a better CPU like the i7-860, the speed is a bit better and you get HyperThreading (additional 4 "virtual" cores) which will help if running threaded applications, multiple applications and VMs.
January 21, 2010 2:16:50 AM

@Zenthar:

So, the CPU I'm having will be i7-860 Lynnfield and Mem will be Corsair XMS3 8GB.

Anything else I need to have? Like what casing or cooler...or even monitor (good for dual setup)?

You see, I'm not into OverClocking cause I don't know what is it for (I'll wiki it).

Again, I'm into programming stuffs and not for game programming. :D 
January 22, 2010 3:54:58 AM

Shall we go with AMD? What do you think?

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 620 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)

MOBO: MSI 785GTM-E45 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)

GPU: Radeon HD 5750 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)

MEM: G.SKILL 4GB (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)

CASING: Antec Mini P180 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)

PSU: I don't know. :( 
LCD: I don't know. :( 

a b B Homebuilt system
January 22, 2010 5:09:54 AM

This is a good system as well. We would have come up with it had you not said that you specifically want an intel system and given us a lower budget.

PSU: Look for a 500-wattish corsair or antec earthwatts.
LCD: Depends on preferences. I like 16:10 monitors for gaming. I got a 20-inch HP refurbished one that's pretty good for $100. Just go on newegg and amazon and read reviews and whatnot.

Now, that graphics card is a gaming card. I really don't think you beed one that powerful at all. The one you were planning on before would be fine, why did you change that? Not only that, but with that motherboard you don't even need a graphics card. AMD's integrated graphics is pretty awesome in comparison to anyone else's.

Edit: Though I am scratching my head over the choice of DDR2, but I guess if you really do wait this long again we might have DDR4 so it may not matter.
January 22, 2010 8:19:08 AM

Quote:
False_Dmitry_II

This is a good system as well. We would have come up with it had you not said that you specifically want an intel system and given us a lower budget.

Suddenly, I was thinking if only I got options between an Intel and AMD cpu's then the better to choose from. :D 

Ok, let's go back at Intel.

What if I have this CPU, Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...), what then are the compatible specs I need? Again, I'm not into gaming.

a b B Homebuilt system
January 22, 2010 4:11:54 PM

In my opinion, go with the cheaper AMD build or the more expensive intel build. Not a 775 socket solution.
!