HDD drive failure - not recognised with Ubuntu

I have a probolem that has come up before but not with a definitive answer.
I've removed the drive and disconnected the two wires, thinking I was going to try and buy a case and see if I could access the drive this way? Then someone advised to try Ubutnu and reimage repair (which I havent tried).

I've tried Ubutnu but as far as I can see nothing is detecting my hard drive. Like the other post I saw I have photographs on I would really like to try and recover. Surely there is a way someone clever knows (after all the forensics can find allsorts thesedays!)

I was in the process of having bought an external hard drive copying all the files over and only got to 'M' as the drive showed a disc error, unrecoverable ..... Photos under 'P' Ha, (the pc must have known I was superceeding it with a laptop and back up drive!

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance with my fingers, legs and eyes crossed !
9 answers Last reply
More about drive failure recognised ubuntu
  1. HIRENS BOOT CD has loads of tools, several good for getting files off of drives with problems.
  2. Thanks will download now and try. I will let you know how I get on
  3. See the Recovery Tools section of THIS LIST of what is on the disk. You can get detailed info on each program with a quick Google search. Good luck.
  4. Hi
    Thanks for the link. Is there anything particular I should try? I tried the 'booting boot from hard drive' but it came up with an error 15: file not found?
  5. You will have to boot from the boot cd and then try the recovery tools in the link in my earlier post. Recuva or DataRescueDD is a good start. PhotRec is specifically for recovering photos.
  6. Thanks, I did look at the link list, but could'nt really work out which one may be of use sorry ! Will try the oones you suggest. Thanks
  7. Hi
    Ive tried to find Recuva and DataRescueDD but can't find them on the disk menus? However I did find Testdisk, PhotoRec, Undelete (For fat32) and Recover (recover.exe) under Recovery tools.

I tried PhotoRec, but it says no hard disk found?
  8. Recuva is on my copy of Hiren's. HERE is a link to some further information on using the program.

It certainly is possible that nothing will be able to recovery your files if the drive is dead.
  9. Oh dear I was hoping that wasn't the case. Thanks for your help anyway.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Storage