Sign in with
Your question
Closed

IBM T23 harddrive location

Last response: in Storage
January 12, 2012 2:37:49 PM

I have a friend who had a real old IBM T23 Thinkpad and it died.
I suspect the harddrive is internal, as I did not see it on the bottom like they are now on the Lenovo Thinkpads.

1. Anyone know where it's located or where I can get some documentation like what type of drive it is, etc...?
2. Anyone know where I get some device to get the data off the harddrive.

thanks in advance!

Best solution

a c 292 G Storage
January 12, 2012 2:50:04 PM

natarshia said:
1. Anyone know where it's located or where I can get some documentation like what type of drive it is, etc...?
2. Anyone know where I get some device to get the data off the harddrive.

1) The owner's manual, the IBM website, or showing it to an experienced hardware person. Just a sec; I'm going to look on the IBM (or Lenovo) website... EDIT: Here's a movie on how to do it: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/product-and-parts/detai...
2) Just attach it to any other computer! I will usually put the drive into my tower system in a case like this. The major question is whether it's an IDE or SATA drive; they use different cables and different connectors.

Or you could buy an external dock, or a cheapo IDE-to-USB, or SATA-to-USB, dongle off NewEgg.
January 12, 2012 3:21:01 PM

WyomingKnott said:
1) The owner's manual, the IBM website, or showing it to an experienced hardware person. Just a sec; I'm going to look on the IBM (or Lenovo) website... EDIT: Here's a movie on how to do it: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/product-and-parts/detai...
2) Just attach it to any other computer! I will usually put the drive into my tower system in a case like this. The major question is whether it's an IDE or SATA drive; they use different cables and different connectors.

Or you could buy an external dock, or a cheapo IDE-to-USB, or SATA-to-USB, dongle off NewEgg.

Thanks!
I will take a look at the video later.
I did a quick google before and since the computer was so old, i wasn't getting any good hits
#2 I don't have a tower system, I guess I could find one somewhere, but the xxx-to-usb is a good idea as well.

Score
Related resources
January 19, 2012 11:07:04 AM

Best answer selected by natarshia.
Score
January 21, 2012 2:19:30 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!