Upgrade psu?

moc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
I just bought an i7-860 and Biostar mobo (Fry's combo), 2x500GB Samsung HDs (raid 1), xfx radeon 5770, 4x2GB DDR3 ocz platinum ram, sony optiarc dvd-rw in a Antec 300 case with 4x120mm fans and 1x140mm fan.

Negating cost in favor of efficiency, noise and reliability, is it worth it to upgrade my current Enermax EG495AX 80 Plus standard psu (485W) with something like a Seasonic x650?

Thanks in advance for your feedback

Solution
Unless you plan on adding a second 5770 video card for Crossfire mode there is no need to upgrade.

Here are the ATI recommended power supply requirements for the ATI Radeon HD 5770 and 5750 video cards:

450 Watt or greater power supply with one 75 watt, 6-pin PCI Express® power connector recommended

600 Watt or greater power supply with two 75 watt, 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode.

The recommendations are for an entire pc system..

BTW - I have the Seasonic X 650 Gold in my newest system. Amazing new hybrid design. It is a combination passive and active cooling system. When temps are low like right now while I type this, the fan is not running. The psu is silent until things heat...
Unless you plan on adding a second 5770 video card for Crossfire mode there is no need to upgrade.

Here are the ATI recommended power supply requirements for the ATI Radeon HD 5770 and 5750 video cards:

450 Watt or greater power supply with one 75 watt, 6-pin PCI Express® power connector recommended

600 Watt or greater power supply with two 75 watt, 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode.

The recommendations are for an entire pc system..

BTW - I have the Seasonic X 650 Gold in my newest system. Amazing new hybrid design. It is a combination passive and active cooling system. When temps are low like right now while I type this, the fan is not running. The psu is silent until things heat up. It takes some serious overclocking combined with torture testing to ramp up the fan to full speed. I don't know how Seasonic managed to do it but it works. :D

Solution