Computer crashes on certain speed setting

chico1st

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
My computer cannot boot (repetitively restarts while on windows loading screen) when I have my memory set to 1600 but 1333 is totally fine. The memory is rated at 1600 and running memtest86+ at the 1600 setting gave 2 errors in my 38 passes which I think is a reasonable error rate (is it?).

What else can be the issue? Ive tried disabling everything that isnt essential (legacy usb etc.)

Should I try changing the timmings (8-8-8-24 currently)? Uping voltage (past 1.65V)? RMA memory?

Memory
Motherboard

Some boards will only run at 1600 when you overclock the cpu. You can bump up the ram voltage to a maximum of 1.65. I wouldn't go higher. Try each stick individually with memtest. If you get no errors at 1333, then I would stick with that speed. The difference isn't that noticable.

mhelm1

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
Yes, until you turn it off
The motherboard will overclock the system slightly. This is done automaticly at boot so when you changed multiplier and moBo boosted system it could b a problem.
I'm not at my new system but I remember it is one of the first selections in bios.
Turn it off and see what happens. There is another place in bios (sorry cant point you there now) where if you switch from auto the MoBo will display the actual memory speed. I found that with the Gigabyte overclocking/monitoring programat # 3 I could overclock more than adjusting settings myself. The trick is to let that program OC your machine, you write down all the timings etc... uninstall the program and manually put back in. Now you don't have to deal with the program.