Sign in with
Your question

Sound cards and audio recording/mixing

Last response: in Components
March 24, 2010 10:42:29 PM

I'm having problems recording and mixing audio properly, and I was wondering if adding a sound card to my pc would fix that. My pc is pretty much a powerhouse, or it was when I built it 5 months ago. I didn't get a sound card because I use a Toneport, which is a USB recording device that you can plug a guitar into and then run your computer like an amp, and the Toneport is supposed to have a really good soundcard. But, when I record, the audio is always just a fraction of a second off, which throws everything off. I never had this problem with my older pcs, but those pcs had soundcards. and I'm assuming the programs I use are compatible with windows 7 since they installed properly (programs are mixcraft and beatcraft, if anybody's familiar.) I know it's not a memory problem. So would adding a sound card fix this? or could it be something else? and if I do need a sound card, what kind?

amd phenom II x4
msi 790fx-gd70
ati radeon 4890
6gb ram
windows 7 64bit
March 24, 2010 11:38:46 PM

cresman5000 said:
I'm having problems recording and mixing audio properly, and I was wondering if adding a sound card to my pc would fix that. My pc is pretty much a powerhouse, or it was when I built it 5 months ago. I didn't get a sound card because I use a Toneport, which is a USB recording device that you can plug a guitar into and then run your computer like an amp, and the Toneport is supposed to have a really good soundcard. But, when I record, the audio is always just a fraction of a second off, which throws everything off. I never had this problem with my older pcs, but those pcs had soundcards. and I'm assuming the programs I use are compatible with windows 7 since they installed properly (programs are mixcraft and beatcraft, if anybody's familiar.) I know it's not a memory problem. So would adding a sound card fix this? or could it be something else? and if I do need a sound card, what kind?

amd phenom II x4
msi 790fx-gd70
ati radeon 4890
6gb ram
windows 7 64bit

I've been there buddy , you cant expect for an usb audio solution to give you 0% latency. As you already got a nice setup i would recommend you the M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 PCI Sound Card. Its very affordable , and the performance speaks for itself , specially if you are into recording music. I would also recommend you to stay away from Creative cards if are serious about recording , been there done that!

Peace. :D 
m
l
March 25, 2010 11:30:09 AM

Hi there i recommend you any M-Audio sound card(im currently using M-Audio Delta 1010LT),these card have 0 latency,but USB sound card are good for only playing music,but not for live recording.
m
l
!