ASUS P7H55-M PRO H55 Socket 1156 i5, New build keeps rebooting

andyruk

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
I have just put togther my first pc in over 4 years. Thort everying was going well untill i tryed to switch it on. It then desided just start for about 1-2 seconed the off and on like this untill i turn the power of at the back.

I first thort it was the memory but now i think it might be a fault with the motherboard. It just keeps rebooting after 1-3 seconds and once or twice it gone for mabe 4-5 second. First thort it night be the RAM as motherboard only gose up to 1333h ram as stock, tho can be set to 1600+. I order a 1g 1333 as i thort that would alow me to boot in to BIOS were could config to alow the 1600.

However 1333 arived and no luck still just reboot. I called a friend who said to remove RAM see if it beeps. As haddnt think to try this i gave it a go.

To my suprise change something difrent i got beeping.

I have checked the manul and ran this guied.

completly stirped it down and rebuilt twice, makeing sure everything was tite and in its corect place.

My original post has been made anonymous as i didnt complet reg in time. Heres a link to that as it shows my first request for help on this matter. Tho i have gone of idea

Any help on this would grate as it is driving me crazzy.

o and here the rest of the componts:
Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz Socket LGA1156 8MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor
OCZ StealthXstream II 600W Power Supply
Seagate ST31000528AS 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache - OEM
ASUS P7H55-M PRO H55 Socket 1156 i5/i7/i3 DVI VGA HDMI Out 8 CHannel Audio MATX Motherboard
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 Socket 775, 1156, 1366, AM2, AM3 Heatpipe CPU Cooler

OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz Intel Exteme XMP memory Kit CL8(8-8-8-24) - What i want to use.

Kingston 1GB DDR3 1333MHz i5 Memory Module CL9 1.5V - What iv orderd to gain BIOS accsess

If some one can addvise me if im on the right track or if there any other threds on this.

Andy R

You probably realize you have to format the drive and reinstall windows if your hardrive is from another motherboard. You might have something under the board touching. Also check the backplate for overhang metal; I always have to bend portions of it back to slide ports inside the openings. I would also pull the motherboard battery out with the power supply unplugged for one minute before reinstalling. And be sure the cpu fan is plugged into the right port, which is always 4 pin on newer boards.

andyruk

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
Ok so iv just completted out of case build to rule out power shorts for the tower.

And it semm to have worked my move board has stoped, rebooting. Only problem now is, how do figger out why the case is shorting it and what do i need to do to fix?

Check your case standoffs; not needed if your case has built in bumps to raise the board. Sometimes you get one that's a different height from the others. I found no difference using the paper red washers that come in the hardware kits of cases. But some folks use them on each standoff.

regg001

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
Have you got it fixed ? What was the issue (cause) ?

I have about the same configuration, with the exception that i have a 2T hard drive. It worked flawless for two full weeks. Then on one day when i asked for a reboot, it shutdown instead - and i had hard time to start it back again. I unplugged some of the USB component, and it started fine and went on to work for another full week.

Last night i had to move the PC to an another room at home - i did a normal shutdown, and all went off accordingly. But when i tried to restart it in the other room, the problem you are describing started to happen (pushed the pwr button, it started, then 2-3 seconds later it would go off, then restart the sequence over and over). I tried several things including remove all components from the board and from the pwr supply - still same problem.

I tried my old pwr supply (500w) and got the exact same problem. In case someone ask, no it's not the pwr switch - i bypassed it and got the same issue. I went back to my normal psu , of course the problem is still there.

It seems to be a problem with the mother board (Asus P7H55) or the CPU itself (Intel I5 750@2.66). Beside the ATX twr, all is brand new hardware including hard disk and worked flawless for 2 weeks.

This afternoon i brought the PC to the repair shop - i'll let you know what they found - pc should be fixed on monday (sept 27th.)

andyruk

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
Hi
Yes I fixed the issue. After RMAing memory, then the mother board, then everything in cluding the power unit witch ebuyer said from start it wouldn't be.

Turns out it was the power unit along.

Hope this helps anyone else.

And sorry for not posting earlier.

Thanks to everyone who helped out.

regg001

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
Well thanks for the feedback Andyruk.

Repair (under warranty) have been completed on my system. The PSU was not the main issue although i had it replace anyway - the previous one was getting old and half of the ''channel'' were not giving power anymore.

Still the real issue was the new motherboard. That is even with the new PSU giving more power, the system was still going on and off every 3 seconds at startup. They changed the faulty motherboard and the system came back to life. Hope that was really a exception with that board and it won't come back. The repairman told me it was his first error like that with that motherboard, but he had seen that problem with other boards from other vendor.

Thnks all for reading and helping.

To the website owner, well nice place here with a lot of valuable informations.

hairykiore

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011

Your problem is one that I have personally come across several times...so I would like to ask you ..Did you check the CPU socket ?? cause this rebooting is usually a consequence of a broken , bent or compressed pin (s) in the CPU socket ..Cheers