Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Gaming Mouse

Last response: in Components
Share
March 25, 2010 1:12:23 AM

I want to buy a new mouse, but now I'm willing to spend some money on it and buy a gaming mouse, though I really never had one before because of the simple fact that I never actually wanted one... Though now I want to spend some on one, but I don't want to spend $90 on a Logitech G9X, My budget is $30, at the really most $35. I'm very confused in which one I should get, I'm in doubt between the Logitech MX518 and the Microsoft sidewinder x5, though I would accept any other suggestions on that budget.

And any recommendations on a mouse pad that cost around $10 or less would be very appreciated,
Thank you for any help

More about : gaming mouse

March 25, 2010 4:06:25 AM

a friend of mine has the logitech and he loves it

though at the same time, i do have the G9x with an aluminum mouse pad
m
0
l
Related resources
March 25, 2010 9:18:06 PM

I have another question now, I was looking at bestbuy.com and they are selling the Logitech G9 for $40 is it worth for me to raise the budget by $10 and get is instead?
m
0
l
March 25, 2010 9:26:30 PM

No. I wouldn't buy any of the mouses listed. I purchased the MX518 long ago and it causes negative acceleration in FPS shooters (especially older games like CS 1.6). Negative acceleration causes sudden and fast movements to be slowed and shortened, confusing you and making you wonder why your sensitivity doesn't feel right. If you want a stable mouse, the logitech series is certainly the way to go or Razer, however; the only Logitech mouse worth purchasing (currently discontinued except on www.amazon.com) is the MX510. Other than that, your best bet is the Razer mouses - they've proven themselves in their rapid consistency with their mouse products.

MX510 - http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Performance-Optical-Gami...

Razer Deathadder - http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/prod...

I used to have the Razer Deathadder, but I'm a low sensitivity gamer, so this mouse was overkill. It's overwhelmingly fast and smooth. Almost, too fast and smooth. Hope this helps, good luck to you.
m
0
l
March 25, 2010 9:33:40 PM

The CHOICE OF MOUSE is up to the USER of the mouse. Only YOU, the OP can figure this out. For example, I love my G5 but hate the G9, where as others love their G9 and hate the G5 others hate both and have a Deathadder. It all comes down to how the mouse fits in your hand and how you feel about it. Pretty much any good gaming grade mouse (ie G5, G9,etc) have the specs needed for FPS.
m
0
l
March 25, 2010 9:38:57 PM

Correct. I listed two mouses, one that catered to the needs a low sensitivity gamer, and one for high sensitivity gamers, it's a suggestion, not an implication that he should purchase it. I'm sure he knows this as he's coming here for feedback, not a mouse to be picked out and given to him.
m
0
l
March 25, 2010 10:10:18 PM

khubani said:
No. I wouldn't buy any of the mouses listed. I purchased the MX518 long ago and it causes negative acceleration in FPS shooters (especially older games like CS 1.6). Negative acceleration causes sudden and fast movements to be slowed and shortened, confusing you and making you wonder why your sensitivity doesn't feel right.


Just overclock your USB port from 125Hz to 500Hz and negative acceleration will be less noticable.
http://www.ngohq.com/news/15043-how-to-increase-usb-sam...

For the record, most people (except for sensitive gamers) don't even notice negative acceleration. My Logitech G5 already uses 500Hz on default in Windows 7 x64. I didn't have to change any settings.
m
0
l
March 25, 2010 10:36:21 PM

Hi, I throw my 2 cents in here if you don't mind since I've been using and playing with logitech grear for years.For me the G9 is a no go, just read the reviews, doesn't fit your hand right, the buttons are in odd places and so on.But I never owned one, but have owned the mx518, which is a great mouse , but according to newegg.com is not supported by WIN 7, it'll probably work but there's not guarentee.I've owned the G5 and that is probably IMHO the best mouse ever made but there out of production and all those on ebay are refurbished and not worth the money because they are used, logitech doesn't refurbish thier items, they send you brand new ones. Which leads me to the G500 which is a really great mouse too and is on sale now at newegg for 41.00.As for a gaming pad/mat, personally I'd get a metal one and the cheapest one I could find is at BestBuy and marketed under thier brand name of Rocketfish, it's metal , dual sided for speed or control for 20.00 bucks, and it's a great pad/mat, hope this helps dm , good luck , laptopluney02
m
0
l
a c 204 4 Gaming
March 25, 2010 10:48:32 PM

The 518 is a great mouse....I buy them by the half dozen for home (11 machines) and office use.
m
0
l
March 25, 2010 10:48:45 PM

laptopluney02 said:
Hi, I throw my 2 cents in here if you don't mind since I've been using and playing with logitech grear for years.For me the G9 is a no go, just read the reviews, doesn't fit your hand right, the buttons are in odd places and so on.But I never owned one, but have owned the mx518, which is a great mouse , but according to newegg.com is not supported by WIN 7, it'll probably work but there's not guarentee.I've owned the G5 and that is probably IMHO the best mouse ever made but there out of production and all those on ebay are refurbished and not worth the money because they are used, logitech doesn't refurbish thier items, they send you brand new ones. Which leads me to the G500 which is a really great mouse too and is on sale now at newegg for 41.00.As for a gaming pad/mat, personally I'd get a metal one and the cheapest one I could find is at BestBuy and marketed under thier brand name of Rocketfish, it's metal , dual sided for speed or control for 20.00 bucks, and it's a great pad/mat, hope this helps dm , good luck , laptopluney02


To make a few things more clear. The Logitech MX518 does work with Windows 7. I have one right now and it works perfectly in Windows 7. I also have the Rocketfish mousepad from Best Buy. It has a red aluminium plate in the center with 2 plastic sides. One side is for speed and one side is for control. However, it doesn't work so well with some Razer mice, but works perfectly fine with Logitech mice.

You should test out the G9 and (MX518, G5, G500) in person to see which one you are more comfortable with.
m
0
l
March 26, 2010 2:22:46 AM

Well, I went to best buy to see the mouses my self, but all of them were out of stock...:( , also went to staples, and ultimate electronics, none of them had the mouse available, so I just decided to risk and bought the G9 anyways online...really hope it's a great mouse, because really what I've heard is like it a kind of fells weird at first but later when you get used to it is very nice... so I just decided to risk. Thanks for all your replies, it's really appreciated. When I get the mouse I will post comments in here about it, thank you very much.
m
0
l
March 26, 2010 2:57:38 AM

Shadow703793 said:
The CHOICE OF MOUSE is up to the USER of the mouse. Only YOU, the OP can figure this out. For example, I love my G5 but hate the G9, where as others love their G9 and hate the G5 others hate both and have a Deathadder. It all comes down to how the mouse fits in your hand and how you feel about it. Pretty much any good gaming grade mouse (ie G5, G9,etc) have the specs needed for FPS.


Nailed it, I love my G5, but the G9 just feels wrong, I was really pissed that the day after Best Buy had the new G500 mouse's at the same price, oh well.
m
0
l
April 29, 2010 7:36:02 AM

dmcfc, how do you like your G9? I'm looking for a mouse now too, and would like to know what you think of your risk.
m
0
l
April 30, 2010 8:38:13 PM

i bought a Razer Diamondback in 2005 and I am still using it.I have tried other mice but this is just the best mouse my hand could touch.The Dpi is not as high as other mice but the feel is.When I choose a mouse I make sure it is parallel with the way I use the mouse(my grip) I have huge hands and use clawgrip.
m
0
l
April 30, 2010 8:39:08 PM

If you can find this mouse,the last I saw it was going for $39.99,maybe cheaper now.
m
0
l
April 30, 2010 8:42:03 PM

So good I bought 2 more as back ups for in the future but I paid $59.99 and 5 years later here it is.another awesome mouse is a Steel series Ikari.It doesnt have the feel of the Razer but nonetheless a great mouse.
m
0
l
April 30, 2010 11:27:52 PM

Thanks seanny, but I realized that the G9 is not wireless. I'm used to using a G7 and don't want to go back to a wired mouse.

Currently I have narrowed my options to the Razer Mamba or the new (not yet released) R.A.T. 9 from Mad Catz. I think I will wait for a review of the RAT 9, then decide between the two... unless of course, someone can convince me of a better wireless option. :-)

I'n the meantime, I'm using my trusty ol' wired G5 which is almost identical to my now malfunctioning G7.
m
0
l
May 1, 2010 2:45:34 AM

well I actually really liked my g9, I like how sensitive it is, the customizable grips, weighs,light color, 3,200 dpi, hyper scrolling, on-board memory even though I don't usually change profiles, just usually let it to be with 3,200dpi. for $40 on bestbuy.com, I really like it, and well as some people say it probably doesn't fit everyone's hand right, though I really think it's comfortable.
m
0
l
June 30, 2010 8:34:37 AM

The G9/G9x is an excellent mouse if you use a claw/fingertip grip all of the time. It's small, the main buttons are higher, it's very quick and accurate, etc. But it's very uncomfortable if you try to palm grip it, it simply isn't designed for that. If you use a palm grip even some of the time, better to get a mouse with a more normal shape like the g500.
m
0
l
!