OOOPS! Hard Disk problems What should I do?

missb

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Hello,

My son deleted some windows system files from his Asus eeepc netbook, it doesn't have a cd/dvd drive and I haven't been able to boot it from F9 or any other way, it's still working(just), after days of searching trying different methods of making a bootable usb. Or get the xp iso to his netbook and try and boot it via a virtual drive~(these all seem like great ideas but maybe I was being naive lol)

I found tomshardware site today and had a search where I found this method http://sourceforge.net/projects/unetbootin/files/UNetbootin/Custom/unetbootin-eeeubuntu-windows-276.exe/download .

I had a windows xp iso on my laptop and this seemed the easiest method I found in the past few days, so I went with it, however...........

I didn't know not to do it off my own laptop and now I have well I have recovered my own laptop lol I I daren't turn my laptop off in fear of what will happen!

My biggest part (almost 290gb) has gone stripey, please tell me a System Restore will sort this out.

Thanks is advance

I believe EEEpc's come with a hidden partition to restore to factory defaults.

You mentioend you already tried hitting F9 on reboot but you might want to try it again:

1) During boot-up press F9 continuously up and down

2) In Black Screen select Factory Restore and enter

3) Agree with prompt and type in “YES” and then hit enter

4) Press Enter to reboot

5) You might have to do this first: you need to access the bios settings first by pressing F2 to enable the “OS installation” option –

Read this:

http://www.iceblue.co.za/reset-asus-eeepc-factory-settings/

Please note this will wipe everything out, so anything you installed will be gone.

One more thing, I know a few people with EEPc's , and quite a few of them after a few months went bad due to the Msata drive dieing. This was because the netbook was somewhat mishandled :/

missb

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Hiya thanks for the reply, I think I've worn the f9 button out on his netbook the amount of times it's been pressed, I can get in to the bios part but there is no factory restore , nor the "os installation" option. this is why i was going down the bootable usb route, and repair it back with windows xp instead I've now messed my own laptop up , I don't know whether to :lol: or cry, one thing for sure i'm not doing anything else with a usb stick!

missb

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
I was just going to borrow an external cd/dvd drive off someone and use a disk to repair his now. I should of done that in the 1st place.

So if you can give me any pointers on my laptop problem I'd really appreciate that now. :)

So whats wrong with your own laptop? It's working fine but you think you did something to it that might not make it reboot? Is that the case?

If so, what type of laptop do you have and what model?