Your question

SSD in raid 0 or leave them seperate

Tags:
  • SSD
  • NAS / RAID
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
January 12, 2012 8:21:44 PM

I am wondering if having one ssd with your operating system and another with all your programs would be faster then having SSDs in raid 0.

More about : ssd raid leave seperate

January 12, 2012 8:45:57 PM

yes, your speed would increase with the raid setup, but heres the kicker. intel (and im sure amd) have yet to release trim for a raid array.

what does this mean to me? well, it means that over time, used, but erased blocks would still contain the 1/0 that was placed there, and have to be erased for space computes during writes.

trim goes through and zeros out blocks, keeping the original speed of the ssd through the life of the blocks.

with out trim, you would be left with garbage collection software from the ssd manufacture, and i couldnt really tell you how well that works, or even if it does on an array.

now, intel did announce, a little while back, that trim for raid arrays is in the works, and will be availible on all / most intel chip sets.

so, its really up to you if you want to give it a shot, but google around and see if the manuf. softeware will do the trick, and post back for us here.

m
l
a b G Storage
January 12, 2012 8:48:01 PM

I dont reccomend RAID 0 with SSDS. 2x chance of failure.

Also unless your encoding or decoding HD 1080P video the bandwidth the RAID 0 provides would be pretty moot.

It would be like having a vehicle with a 6.0 Litre V8 engine but just driving to the grocery store and not hauling anything.

TRIM will be disabled, depending on SSD (most of them).
m
l
!