Final purchase....

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Crossfire
  • PCI Express
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 13, 2010 12:06:10 AM

SAPPHIRE 100281SR Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video ... - Retail

and

CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

I'm thinking of getting an i7 processor and a good motherboard now. My current motherboard only allows 1 pci-e x 16 slot.

More about : final purchase

a c 189 U Graphics card
January 13, 2010 12:43:15 AM

okay, u got a very nice PSU and great GPU there... :D 
Score
a c 169 U Graphics card
January 13, 2010 5:44:54 AM

Both the GPU and VGA are good.
You will be fine with 1 PCI-E 16x don't worry
Score
Related resources
a c 247 U Graphics card
January 13, 2010 5:28:45 PM

soknar said:
I'm thinking of getting an i7 processor and a good motherboard now. My current motherboard only allows 1 pci-e x 16 slot.

Are you asking for MoBo Recommendations ?
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2010 5:43:11 PM

Two PCIe x16 slots is not going to do you any good. Crossfired 5870s are so much overkill that it'll probably make any CPU on the market into a bottleneck. I don't see the point of it unless you're trying to play games on a Jumbotron.

For that matter, most of the time, crossfiring sounds like a good idea at first, but then by the time you get to the point where you'd actually do it, there's a single card that can do a better job for about the same price.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2010 6:24:53 PM

Quote:
Sapphire got 1GHz memmory clock which is laughable and XFX + all the other HD 5850s got 4GHz.

:pfff: 

You do know that 1Ghz QDR (Quad Data Rate) GDDR5 runs at an effective 4Ghz, right?
The memory between both your examples runs at exactly the same speed.

Sapphire is a great brand and I would not hesitate to recommend them.
Score
a c 148 U Graphics card
January 13, 2010 7:21:33 PM

Quote:
dude sapphire sucks :S YOu should have bought XFX.

What in the world are you talking about? They are the SAME cards, just different vendors and OHHH a sticker.
Quote:
XFX got longer warranty I think + faster clocks. Sapphire got 1GHz memmory clock which is laughable and XFX + all the other HD 5850s got 4GHz. Quite a diffrence there.

-Longer warranty, YES.
-Faster clocks, NO, unless you buy the factory overclocked ones which are more expensive that you can easily do yourself through the ATI CCC anyways.
-Sometimes they list the actual memory clocks, not the quad rate, which would be 1GHz x 4 = 4GHz. BTW he bought a 5870 not a 5850
-Stop the nonsense.

outlw6669 said:

Sapphire is a great brand and I would not hesitate to recommend them.

I would not hesitate either.
Score
a c 148 U Graphics card
January 13, 2010 7:26:34 PM

soknar said:

What are you currently running right now? A5870 will do you well for a while depending on what resolution you are running. You won't need another PCI-E x16 slot unless you plan to do crossfire. However, if you are upgrading for other reasons, it isn't a bad idea to plan ahead.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2010 8:22:33 PM

Stop being such a fanboi Troll.
Both companies' products are of high quality and either will work equally as well as the other.
Score
a c 217 U Graphics card
January 13, 2010 8:28:14 PM

capt_taco said:
Two PCIe x16 slots is not going to do you any good. Crossfired 5870s are so much overkill that it'll probably make any CPU on the market into a bottleneck. I don't see the point of it unless you're trying to play games on a Jumbotron.

For that matter, most of the time, crossfiring sounds like a good idea at first, but then by the time you get to the point where you'd actually do it, there's a single card that can do a better job for about the same price.

Well, from what I've seen, the GPU will still be the bottleneck at higher resolutions. The thing is, with a single 5870, the GPU is almost always the bottleneck, when Xfired, it changes back and forth with an i7 as the cpu.

At any given time, there is almost always a bottleneck, don't get overly hung up on that.

Anyways, check these benchmarks. They show core2 duos, amd 965 and i7 at different overclock settings.

You'll see that even with CF 5870's, at 1920x1200 resolution, many games gain nothing from an OC'ed i7, meaning the game is still GPU bound. http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon-h...
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2010 9:51:34 PM

bystander said:
Well, from what I've seen, the GPU will still be the bottleneck at higher resolutions. The thing is, with a single 5870, the GPU is almost always the bottleneck, when Xfired, it changes back and forth with an i7 as the cpu.

At any given time, there is almost always a bottleneck, don't get overly hung up on that.

Anyways, check these benchmarks. They show core2 duos, amd 965 and i7 at different overclock settings.

You'll see that even with CF 5870's, at 1920x1200 resolution, many games gain nothing from an OC'ed i7, meaning the game is still GPU bound. http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon-h...

Interesting. That pretty definitely shows the point where the 5870 hits the wall. A little earlier than I would've thought -- although I still maintain that for most real-life purposes, crossfired 5870s is waaay overkilling it.

Anyway ... yeah, it's pretty unavoidable that one or the other is going to be a "bottleneck" of some sort (just by definition), but in this guy's case, it sounds like the bottleneck is so high up there that it's pretty non-limiting and I personally wouldn't find it worth spending an extra $150-$200 on a motherboard and $400 on a second video card to fix it. So I guess my general bottleneck statement was out-of-date, but I just wouldn't spend all that money. You could have a hell of a night with that instead.
Score
a c 217 U Graphics card
January 13, 2010 10:00:10 PM

capt_taco said:
Interesting. That pretty definitely shows the point where the 5870 hits the wall. A little earlier than I would've thought -- although I still maintain that for most real-life purposes, crossfired 5870s is waaay overkilling it.

Anyway ... yeah, it's pretty unavoidable that one or the other is going to be a "bottleneck" of some sort (just by definition), but in this guy's case, it sounds like the bottleneck is so high up there that it's pretty non-limiting and I personally wouldn't find it worth spending an extra $150-$200 on a motherboard and $400 on a second video card to fix it. So I guess my general bottleneck statement was out-of-date, but I just wouldn't spend all that money. You could have a hell of a night with that instead.

I was suprised it was that high too and is also why I don't OC my i7 very high and backed it off from what I started at. The good news is that I shouldn't have to upgrade my motherboard and CPU for quite a while, which was my main intent when I built this system. I'd likely just end up upgrading video cards for a while.
Score
January 13, 2010 10:28:50 PM

jay2tall said:
What are you currently running right now? A5870 will do you well for a while depending on what resolution you are running. You won't need another PCI-E x16 slot unless you plan to do crossfire. However, if you are upgrading for other reasons, it isn't a bad idea to plan ahead.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz

and the motherboard seems recent, but it only includes 1 pci-e x 16 slot and a couple x 8 slots. I thinkt here's 1 or 2 pci slots too.
Score
January 13, 2010 10:29:41 PM

I voided the order for the 5870, but re-ordered the sapphire 5850 and kept the psu. the psu is too good to let go. the shipment will be here tomorrow! I ordered the 5770 and voided it, but it came anyways. it's getting returned for a refund, but i was able to receive the shipment a day later. they must have warehouses nearby.
Score
a c 148 U Graphics card
January 14, 2010 2:09:43 AM

soknar said:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz

and the motherboard seems recent, but it only includes 1 pci-e x 16 slot and a couple x 8 slots. I thinkt here's 1 or 2 pci slots too.

That will run a 5850 just fine, no need to upgrade unless you have some money burning a whole in your pocket. You can always overclock the Q8300 and get a little more performance out of it.
Score
January 14, 2010 2:27:53 AM

jay2tall said:
That will run a 5850 just fine, no need to upgrade unless you have some money burning a whole in your pocket. You can always overclock the Q8300 and get a little more performance out of it.

How do you overclock and will it damage itself?
Score
January 14, 2010 3:41:57 AM

theres many guides all over the internet. Do it slow and steady and always check your temperatures. Some vendors and makers such as gigybite and asus put their own OC'ing tools built into the motherboard, but essentially the main things you need to do is to

Watch the temperatures closely
Good Ventilation and cooling
Watch your voltage
Have enough juice in your PSU

stock fans can manage 3.0--3.4ish easily on a well cooled case
Score
a c 189 U Graphics card
January 14, 2010 11:45:49 AM

overclocking can be so fun, just do it carefully... :) 
Score
a c 148 U Graphics card
January 14, 2010 1:03:41 PM

^+1 Overclocking is fun. If you stick to the moderate side of OCing you will be fine. Just watch temps and such.
Score
January 14, 2010 1:12:15 PM

lol cant believe you actually thought that the xfx 5870's memory ran 3ghz faster than the sapphire 5870. Sorry but i thought it was funny.

Quote:
okini55 wrote :

XFX got longer warranty I think + faster clocks. Sapphire got 1GHz memmory clock which is laughable and XFX + all the other HD 5850s got 4GHz. Quite a diffrence there.

And when it comes to overclocked cards, sapphire usually puts out some of the best Ati cards. Example the 4890 Toxic and 4890 Atomic(which i believe was the fastest 4890 made) Give it a few months and there should be a toxic/atomic versions of the 5870. And no im not a sapphire fanboy, i like alot of card companies Sapphire/HIS/Asus/XFX
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2010 1:22:11 PM

Quote:
well on all spex things on all sites it says 1GHz... What should I belive?

Noob.
Score
a c 189 U Graphics card
January 14, 2010 1:31:34 PM

it's funny when i watched u two fighting... :) 
c'mon dragon, he just 15, don't take it too seriously...
and okini, u must read more about all of these stuff, i'm sure it can understand more specifically... :) 
Score
January 14, 2010 1:39:59 PM

Well here's a picture of the specs of both the XFX 5870 and the Sapphire 5870. They look the same to me

Score
a c 189 U Graphics card
January 14, 2010 1:44:28 PM

both of them are follows ATI reference, so they will perform basically the same...
the only difference is the cooler and warranty.
Score
a c 148 U Graphics card
January 14, 2010 1:50:39 PM

Quote:
lmao why is it fun? I just do it to get better frames in games but srsly what is sooo fun about it ^^ ? unless you run crysis on 5 fps higher than before.

It's a hobby. Hobbies are fun. Granted I OCed my 5870 and didn't get much improvement because I guess they are pretty optimized, but the 5850 seems to gain alot form going to 5870 clocks from it's own stock settings.
Score
January 14, 2010 2:06:46 PM

Quote:
Yeah but its about warranty + the look of the GPU. XFX looks much better in my opinion and it has longer warranty and its a bigger brand.

yea when the cards in your case and the decals are facing down how often are you going to look at the card itself? Are you going to take it out all the time to look at the decals on the card. And those decals arent going to make it perform any better.

And Sapphire's 2 year warranty is just fine, in 2 years time it will be time for a new card anyway.
And XFX 5870 out of the box has a 1 year warranty, and if you register within 30 days of purchase on there site, the warranty lasts for " the duration of your life"
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2010 2:07:21 PM

Also, other than the sticker, both cards look exactly the same.
They use the same PCB, components and cooler.
If the stickers where removed from both cards, you would never be able to tell them apart.
Score
a c 148 U Graphics card
January 14, 2010 2:16:31 PM

Quote:
Yeah but its about warranty + the look of the GPU. XFX looks much better in my opinion and it has longer warranty and its a bigger brand.

Actually I believe Sapphire sells far more ATI video cards than XFX does. XFX just got into the ATI market about a year ago.
Score
a c 189 U Graphics card
January 14, 2010 2:20:20 PM

@okini: don't judge something just from the stickers only... :) 
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2010 2:42:54 PM

outlw6669 said:
http://blog.infinitemonkeysblog.com/files/images/obvious_troll.preview.jpg

Also, other than the sticker, both cards look exactly the same.
They use the same PCB, components and cooler.
If the stickers where removed from both cards, you would never be able to tell them apart.

I am beginning to agree with you about the troll part. But he is a newbie in this profession. He should take a look at Wreckage @ Anand.
Score
a c 148 U Graphics card
January 14, 2010 2:45:46 PM

Quote:
Yeah which is smart, cause Nvidia realy suck balls at the moment. Hopefully next gen too. Last time I got banned cause I was an Nvidia fanboy, Now I like ATI ^^

Uhhh I swear I'm going to wash your mouth out with soap.
Score
a c 189 U Graphics card
January 14, 2010 2:51:01 PM

don't make any more enemies, okini...
behave and learn, lot of things that u should know...
:) 
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2010 2:51:27 PM

Quote:
go ahead :p 

John_, is that really you???
Score
a c 148 U Graphics card
January 14, 2010 2:52:57 PM

Score
a c 189 U Graphics card
January 14, 2010 2:53:35 PM

hallowed_dragon said:
John_, is that really you???

dragon, u know this guy???
Score
a c 189 U Graphics card
January 14, 2010 2:54:39 PM

:lol: 

nice pic, jay...
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2010 2:55:54 PM

wa1 said:
dragon, u know this guy???

Some time ago there was a troll around here named John_. Some of the other guys I bet will remember. He was banned because of his bias to nVidia and stupid advices.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2010 2:59:18 PM

Quote:
thats not me. My old account was called Okini....

See, I can't remember you, so you really are a noob at trolling. John_ was better ... keep trying.
Score
a c 148 U Graphics card
January 14, 2010 3:00:37 PM

All I say is just keep it a bit on the clean and non brand/manufacture bashing side. I hover around this forum because people are nice and a little more professional. That's all. If you don't like something you better be able to back it with a bad experience or review link or something.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2010 3:01:51 PM

jay2tall said:
All I say is just keep it a bit on the clean and non brand/manufacture bashing side. I hover around this forum because people are nice and a little more professional. That's all. If you don't like something you better be able to back it with a bad experience or review link or something.

True words jay. I think the OP was given plenty of competent answers. I suggest a Mod close this thread before it gets to a veritable trollfest.
Score
a c 217 U Graphics card
January 14, 2010 3:02:25 PM

Sapphire does have one other thing going for them, but not in this particular choice. Sapphire makes the vapor-x verions, which apparently are keeping the cards much cooler than the reference design.
Score
a c 189 U Graphics card
January 14, 2010 3:04:19 PM

^+1 to dragon
this thread already has the answer, that's enough, don't make this thread long..
agree with bystrander, sapphire is good with the cooler...
Score
a c 148 U Graphics card
January 14, 2010 3:06:46 PM

^+2 where's a Mod when you need one?
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
January 14, 2010 4:49:39 PM

Right here.
Score
!