Sign in with
Your question
Closed

ATIKMDAG Has stopped responding

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 13, 2010 12:42:48 AM

ATIKMDAG Has stopped responding but has recovered successfully. Anyone know good ways to fix this problem. Heard that it is pretty wide spread through ATI cards. Happens when im playing any graphics intensive games. Ive got an AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core Proc, 2 4Gig Sticks of Ram, Radeon 4850 and im about the least computer savvy person out there.
January 13, 2010 5:45:37 AM

Have you updated your VGA drivers ? also please post full system specs
Score
Related resources
January 13, 2010 6:32:45 AM

My Nvdia 7600 GT is having similar problems too.
Score
January 13, 2010 3:18:46 PM

Maziar said:
Have you updated your VGA drivers ? also please post full system specs

as far as i can tell my graphics drivers are up to date. ive downloaded and installed the latest drivers. But when i actually look up the version numbers on my pc to the most recent one showing that i downloaded they never match. Its pretty odd.
Score
January 13, 2010 4:58:02 PM

You didn't post your system specs
Score
January 14, 2010 12:03:40 AM

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.090803-2339)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD
System Model: MS-7388
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) 9750 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 4094MB RAM
Page File: 2534MB used, 5888MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode

Card name: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x9440)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9440&SUBSYS_0502148C&REV_00
Display Memory: 2297 MB
Dedicated Memory: 506 MB
Shared Memory: 1791 MB
Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
Driver Name: atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx64.dll,atiumdva,atiumd64.dll,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll
Driver Version: 8.14.0010.0662 (English)
DDI Version: 10.1
Score
January 14, 2010 8:26:15 AM

Disable Windows Aero and play a game and see if it happens or not
Score
January 14, 2010 11:48:06 AM

i already disabled it.
Score
January 14, 2010 12:14:36 PM

Can you try with XP ? i have seen users having this problem and its been solved with installing win xp
Score
January 14, 2010 6:31:13 PM

how do i go about doing that and will it cost me anything and/or effect any of my hardware?
Score
January 15, 2010 5:13:53 AM

Do you have a copy on win XP ? also installing XP won't have any bad effects for your hardware,i just want to check whether your problem will be solved under XP or no
Score
January 24, 2010 7:37:32 PM

Could you give me a link for drivers sweeper.
Score
January 27, 2010 8:00:44 AM

Quote:
atikmdag is common, it also occurs with nvidia cards but it's called nvlddmkm.

I have this problem every time I re-load Vista. First uninstall windows update KB952287.

Then uninstall all your ati drivers. re-boot and let windows use its own drivers. Then use Driversweeper to remove anything ati or nvidia.
Then download the video drivers from ATI but use the standalone graphics driver only, DO NOT INSTALL Catalyst Control Center.
This always fixes it for me.

when i go to the ati website and download the display driver only it forces you to install the catalyst install manager...
Score
January 27, 2010 10:58:27 AM

oh ok well that didnt seem to work as well but i think i did find a fix oddly enought. I redownloaded my drivers using the full download including catalyst control center despite what everyone says and i havent gotten the error since... odd i know.
Score
January 27, 2010 1:24:22 PM

installing the display driver only didnt seem to work. actually it seemed to worsen the problem. But when i redownloaded the full drivers with ccc i stopped getting the problem.
Score
January 27, 2010 2:57:52 PM

Quote:
Did you reboot after you installed just the display driver?

Did you remove the windows update I suggested?

I've spent many hours on many different forums researching this issue and not one time have I heard someone solve the problem by downloading the newest drivers, which you should have had installed to begin with.

Like I said, I know of this problem existing all the way back to the 8.XX drivers, so there's no way new drivers fix it. In fact it is not a driver problem at all. It is a Windows Vista problem.

ive done everything youve said multiple times in the past. ive had this problem for around 5 months now and i never had tried downloading the full download with CCC, i always dLoaded the display driver only. But this time i havent gotten the error.
Score
January 27, 2010 7:05:14 PM

i think you might be right.... was just playing a game and i got the error but only once then it stopped. But afterwards blue dots started flashing all over my screen.
Score
January 27, 2010 7:13:38 PM

Quote:
Wow I'm soooooo surprised. LOL

lol so from what ive heard my best bets would be new gfx card, windows xp, or windows 7
Score
January 28, 2010 8:23:44 PM

well i did what you suggested and it seems to have fixed it. at least for the time being. Thx.
Score
January 29, 2010 3:56:07 AM

eh guess i spoke soon. the error came back :( 

hmm also just noticed that even after i uninstalled my drivers, made sure i didnt have that update, used driver sweeper, and reinstalled the display drivers only ccc didnt uninstall... not sure how to uninstall that...
Score
January 29, 2010 2:03:33 PM

haha /face palm i didnt even think about using catalyst install manager...
Score
January 29, 2010 6:17:06 PM

Quote:
You uninstall it through programs just like you uninstall the driver.

If you ran driver sweeper and you still have CCC installed, your doing something wrong. LOL

The most important part of what I told you to do is uninstalling CCC.

and it came back...
Score
February 6, 2010 12:15:27 AM

thx anyway im just gonna wait till march and get Nvidias new next gen cards
Score
February 6, 2010 12:23:29 AM

In the meantime you could always try the 10.1 drivers and their new 'hotfix' patch that came out the other day, as I don't use Ati cards I don't know if it will cure the problem.
Score
February 6, 2010 12:57:23 AM

done that already but thanks anyway
Score
February 6, 2010 1:06:58 AM

Sorry about mate, it's all I've got as far as that error goes.
Score
Anonymous
February 19, 2010 10:39:12 AM

Dude what seems to be working for me is uninstalling anything that has to do with ati. Im soo fustrated about the situation that im about the just play video games without all that ati crap. Stock windows drivers or what ever it is. I noticed some one said if i just install ati display drivers without installing the CCC that i wount get the errors anymore. Is this true? Im too scared to try it and fail. Please reply.
Score
February 19, 2010 8:40:01 PM

Quote:
Dude what seems to be working for me is uninstalling anything that has to do with ati. Im soo fustrated about the situation that im about the just play video games without all that ati crap. Stock windows drivers or what ever it is. I noticed some one said if i just install ati display drivers without installing the CCC that i wount get the errors anymore. Is this true? Im too scared to try it and fail. Please reply.

Uninstalling ATI Display Drivers and CCC, then reinstalling display drivers only works for some people. Im pretty sure what the problem was for me was a hardware problem, i probably overheated my GPU at some point. I just went and got a cheaper ATI card to hold me off until the Next-Gen Nvidia cards come out supposedly in march 2010
Score
March 3, 2010 1:01:11 AM

My system event msg. log states" system shutdown due to graphics card overheating." ATIKMDAG
Score
July 26, 2010 11:39:11 AM

Quote:

I have this problem every time I re-load Vista. First uninstall windows update KB952287.

Then uninstall all your ati drivers. re-boot and let windows use its own drivers. Then use Driversweeper to remove anything ati or nvidia.
Then download the video drivers from ATI but use the standalone graphics driver only, DO NOT INSTALL Catalyst Control Center.

ok similar problem and truly trying to follow all of your steps here. I never had a problem before but I just got a new hard drive and installed everything from my toshiba recovery disks that I had. When it loads up I think everything is fine I get the Atikmdag error when I am trying to play Second Life. I don't get it any other time, but I am unable to stay in the game, it freezes it. So I restart my laptop and get the error Catalyst Control Centre: Host Application Has Stopped Working. I have tried uninstall and installing the drivers, so now I'm going to try your suggestion ...when I run into my first problem. I don't have windows update KB952287 though I do have other updates. In fact, before I got the new hard drive I had windows updates turned off, I didn't realize they were even important and were annoyed with them. (I am very inexperienced with all of this, but I have learnt a lot in a weeks time) any help would be greatly appreciated. I am going to try the other steps minus the obvious uninstal of the update I dont have. *fingers crossed* hmmm....if that doesn't work should I reinstall it all from scratch again and don't do the updates? *sigh* thank you :) 
Score
July 26, 2010 1:08:53 PM

ok so I did everything but removing the update KB952287 since I do not have it. The only drivers I reinstalled was the display driver for my Display driver which is ATI Mobility Radeon 3470. It did that automatically when i restarted windows. Now you say to get the ATI standalone graphics driver without CCC, have I done that with the display driver or are you referring to something else? I can't help but wonder if another windows update is causing this problem for me
Score
July 26, 2010 4:09:42 PM

are you using a notebook? i know how to change my hd but i really dont think i am nearly capable enough of anything else. should i just reinstall from scratch do you think?
Score
November 6, 2010 2:47:27 AM

Quote:

Wow! Great info. I shall give this a try. I have the 64bit home premium vista and it's doing that when running 2 monitors.
Score
November 6, 2010 9:56:56 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!