Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Any benchmarks anywhere re Thuban-any thoughts on how it will peform?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
March 25, 2010 2:35:11 AM

I know it will not obviously not be at Gulftown,.but it will be $700 cheaper..

Any ideas on how it will perform compared to the current Intel offerings (quad core)?

a c 83 à CPUs
March 25, 2010 6:39:53 AM

For most tasks, especially games, it'll perform about on par to the current Phenom II X4 and well behind I7. For a limited number of truely multithreaded programs, it'll theoretically offer nearly 50% increase in performance over Phenom II X4, which should compete well against 4 core I7. We really won't know for sure until the processors reviewed, but the gulftown reviews should give us a good idea as to what areas thuban will out perform deneb.
m
0
l
a c 133 à CPUs
March 25, 2010 6:47:57 AM

loneninja said:
For most tasks, especially games, it'll perform about on par to the current Phenom II X4 and well behind I7. For a limited number of truely multithreaded programs, it'll theoretically offer nearly 50% increase in performance over Phenom II X4, which should compete well against 4 core I7. We really won't know for sure until the processors reviewed, but the gulftown reviews should give us a good idea as to what areas thuban will out perform deneb.


I am willing to bet that the Thuban will not out perform an I7 930 or any I7 It will probably be a little slower then an I7 and it will not even come close to a 980x. The thuban like you said is a Phenom II x4 with 2 more cores added none will no for sure though until the bench come out for it but I dont think it will do as well as people think. It might hurt I5 sales a little but the I7 is still not going to be phased by this Thuban. Until AMD gets the Bulldozer out they pose no threat at all to Intel and by that time Intel will be still light years ahead.
m
0
l
a c 83 à CPUs
March 25, 2010 6:51:22 AM

saaiello said:
I am willing to bet that the Thuban will not out perform an I7 930 or any I7 It will probably be a little slower then an I7 and it will not even come close to a 980x. The thuban like you said is a Phenom II x4 with 2 more cores added none will no for sure though until the bench come out for it but I dont think it will do as well as people think. It might hurt I5 sales a little but the I7 is still not going to be phased by this Thuban. Until AMD gets the Bulldozer out they pose no threat at all to Intel and by that time Intel will be still light years ahead.


My comment to it performing nearly as well, possibly a little better to an I7 920 for example, is in a situation/program that would push all 6 cores of Thuban to it's limit compared to the I7s 4 cores/4threads. Single theaded situations, Phenom II X6 will loose just as badly as the X4 does, but multithreaded situations will show much more competitive results from Phenom X6.
m
0
l
a c 133 à CPUs
March 25, 2010 6:53:59 AM

loneninja said:
My comment to it performing nearly as well, possibly a little better to an I7 920 for example, is in a situation/program that would push all 6 cores of Thuban to it's limit compared to the I7s 4 cores/4threads. Single theaded situations, Phenom II X6 will loose just as badly as the X4 does, but multithreaded situations will show much more competitive results from Phenom X6.


Did you forget the I7 has 4 cores 8 threads so even though those hyper threaded threads arnt as efficient as actual cores it will still outperform the Thuban.
m
0
l
a c 127 à CPUs
March 25, 2010 9:03:59 AM

If you want an idea of Thubans performance just look up a Istanbul performance chart. Of course its not 100% since Istanbul is a server CPU and as well most benchmarks will be for servers but it gives an idea.
m
0
l
a c 172 à CPUs
a b å Intel
March 25, 2010 9:51:19 AM

I also bet that it will not be a good overclocker. Of course, with 6 cores, it may not need to be.
m
0
l
March 25, 2010 1:52:21 PM

This post at XS shows some from AMDZone.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2010 2:21:00 PM

saaiello said:
I am willing to bet that the Thuban will not out perform an I7 930 or any I7 It will probably be a little slower then an I7.


You'd be willing to bet? How much would you be willing to bet exactly?
m
0
l
March 25, 2010 2:51:57 PM

Where is Encyclopedia AMDia? (JDJ)
I bet he has some benchmarks on his radar if there are any to be had.
m
0
l
!