Solved

DIsable onboard graphics or not?

I have a dell Inspiron 545 it has the gma 3100 on board, however I just dropped in a ati sapphire hd 5670 so I could stream hd,and play some games without upgrading power supplies, my question is do I need to disable the onboard graphics in the bios or will this decrease performance, will the onboard and aftermarket work together?for that matter I have an audigy 2 soundcard, should I disable onboard sound as well, keep in mind I'm pushing the limits on my stock psu so effeciency is also a concern, thanks John
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about disable onboard graphics
  1. Firstly, you cannot Hybrid X-fire the onboard card with your 5670, it s impossible.
    Also, when you install the 5760 it disables the onborad 3100 automatically, so you don't need to disable it in bios.

    I don't also se the reason why you should disable the soundcard, how can you work without one? [:thegreatgrapeape:5]
  2. Starges,
    jijoslin said:
    for that matter I have an audigy 2 soundcard, should I disable onboard sound as well,

    I wouldn't disable the on board sound. You could alway use it with a headset. And it won't use that much power anyway.
  3. I would disable the onboard sound if you aren't using it. As for the onboard graphics it should be disabled automatically, but in case it isn't go into the BIOS and see if you can disable it.
  4. Starges said:
    Firstly, you cannot Hybrid X-fire the onboard card with your 5670, it s impossible.
    Also, when you install the 5760 it disables the onborad 3100 automatically, so you don't need to disable it in bios.

    I don't also se the reason why you should disable the soundcard, how can you work without one? [:thegreatgrapeape:5]

    Just disable the integrated sound, I'm running a soundblaster audigy 2. What does hybrid x-fire mean? thanks John
  5. Best answer
    jijoslin said:
    Just disable the integrated sound, I'm running a soundblaster audigy 2. What does hybrid x-fire mean? thanks John


    Hybrid X-fire is a feature of certain motherboards that will actully use the onboard video chipset in junction with your dedicated card which gives it a little boost of performance.
  6. Is it tru tha you can hybrid CF 5xxx series cards on the new 890GX mobo?? Am sure i came across it somewhere in this site! :o
  7. Starges said:
    Is it tru tha you can hybrid CF 5xxx series cards on the new 890GX mobo?? Am sure i came across it somewhere in this site! :o


    There are really not to many motherboards that do support the Hybrid Crossfire it does not add too much of a performance gain at all.
  8. saaiello said:
    Hybrid X-fire is a feature of certain motherboards that will actully use the onboard video chipset in junction with your dedicated card which gives it a little boost of performance.

    Thanks for the info
  9. Best answer selected by jijoslin.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Graphics Components