Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Worth going to the core i7 980x 6 core

Last response: in CPUs
Share
March 25, 2010 3:24:49 AM

is it worthit to get the new 6 core 980x cpu from a 950?

I found it online and got a nice bonus from my business..so not sure if it was wortit to future proof myself for a bit..

I upgraded to 2 5970's and wasnt sure if going to the 980x from the 950 is worth it?

also is anyone using edimensional 3d glasses on their ati hardware and standard 24-26" lcd?

More about : worth core 980x core

a b à CPUs
March 25, 2010 6:06:33 AM

Well congrats. That CPU is worth more money than my entire system. Great *bling* value, but not much bang-for-buck. Just my opinion.
m
0
l
a c 83 à CPUs
March 25, 2010 6:14:30 AM

If your upgrading for games, have fun spending hundreds for literally no performance increase because the games can't use the additional threads.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 133 à CPUs
March 25, 2010 6:40:41 AM

Herr_Koos said:
Well congrats. That CPU is worth more money than my entire system. Great *bling* value, but not much bang-for-buck. Just my opinion.



Well it has plenty of bang for its buck but you have to be using the programs that can actually take advantage of its power. The 980x is not a gaming CPU this CPU is for highly CPU intensive tasks not gaming. If you look at benches for gaming on the 980x it performs on par with a I7 975. So in saying that an I7 950 over clocked to the upper 3 GHZ will actually perform better in games then a 980x at stock.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2010 8:07:26 AM

Well, with a 950 already in place and 2x5970's, I'm pretty sure gaming is high on the OP's list...
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2010 8:46:13 AM

pnico said:
is it worthit to get the new 6 core 980x cpu from a 950?
I found it online and got a nice bonus from my business..so not sure if it was wortit to future proof myself for a bit..

Good for you. Not everyone can get nice bonus...
But bonus or not, best way to future proof yourself is to keep the money... Money depreciates much less than CPU's and GPU's and the CPU you got now is pretty much futureproof for a few years as it is...
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2010 12:36:47 PM

pnico said:
is it worthit to get the new 6 core 980x cpu from a 950?

I found it online and got a nice bonus from my business..so not sure if it was wortit to future proof myself for a bit..

I upgraded to 2 5970's and wasnt sure if going to the 980x from the 950 is worth it?

also is anyone using edimensional 3d glasses on their ati hardware and standard 24-26" lcd?


Heck! IMO, the 950 is too overpriced let alone a 980x...not when you can get a stable 24/7 4.0GHz overclock out of a D0 920!

Also, with 2 - 5970's, I'd have to drop the cash on 3 monitor's to take advantage of at least 1920x1200 resolution and Eyefinity as opposed to dropping the cash on a 980x.
m
0
l
March 25, 2010 1:43:16 PM

6 cores are tempting. Supposedly 8 core desktops by the end of the year though. I don't know if it will be same socket though.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2010 11:18:18 PM

chunkymonster said:
Heck! IMO, the 950 is too overpriced let alone a 980x...not when you can get a stable 24/7 4.0GHz overclock out of a D0 920!

Also, with 2 - 5970's, I'd have to drop the cash on 3 monitor's to take advantage of at least 1920x1200 resolution and Eyefinity as opposed to dropping the cash on a 980x.

+1.

@pnico,
If you haven't done so... get a good highend 5.1 or 7.1 speaker system to go with eyefinity for surround sight & surround sound.
m
0
l
August 30, 2010 12:02:08 AM

The Octacore CPU might be out, but I doubt any systems will be out before the first of the year.

They are talking about going 1155 ( not 1156 socket, nice huh?), for their next version. (Not sure how soon).

I never had an I5 or I7 before the 980X that I have now. It does make quick work of opening multiple CR2 photos that are 15+MB each compared to my older system ( Pentium D dual core). When I was hashing out a new system I talked to someone in the computer business & he said that an SSD will make things seem even faster. I did go that route & Win 7 Ultimate 64 boots in secs.



JD


maximiza said:
6 cores are tempting. Supposedly 8 core desktops by the end of the year though. I don't know if it will be same socket though.

m
0
l
a b à CPUs
August 30, 2010 12:29:40 AM

if you already have 2 5970's I say go for it (the 6 core 980X).
m
0
l
!