Worth going to the core i7 980x 6 core

pnico

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
is it worthit to get the new 6 core 980x cpu from a 950?

I found it online and got a nice bonus from my business..so not sure if it was wortit to future proof myself for a bit..

I upgraded to 2 5970's and wasnt sure if going to the 980x from the 950 is worth it?

also is anyone using edimensional 3d glasses on their ati hardware and standard 24-26" lcd?

Well it has plenty of bang for its buck but you have to be using the programs that can actually take advantage of its power. The 980x is not a gaming CPU this CPU is for highly CPU intensive tasks not gaming. If you look at benches for gaming on the 980x it performs on par with a I7 975. So in saying that an I7 950 over clocked to the upper 3 GHZ will actually perform better in games then a 980x at stock.

randomkid

Distinguished

Good for you. Not everyone can get nice bonus...
But bonus or not, best way to future proof yourself is to keep the money... Money depreciates much less than CPU's and GPU's and the CPU you got now is pretty much futureproof for a few years as it is...

Heck! IMO, the 950 is too overpriced let alone a 980x...not when you can get a stable 24/7 4.0GHz overclock out of a D0 920!

Also, with 2 - 5970's, I'd have to drop the cash on 3 monitor's to take advantage of at least 1920x1200 resolution and Eyefinity as opposed to dropping the cash on a 980x.

randomkid

Distinguished

+1.

@pnico,
If you haven't done so... get a good highend 5.1 or 7.1 speaker system to go with eyefinity for surround sight & surround sound.

JD13

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
The Octacore CPU might be out, but I doubt any systems will be out before the first of the year.

They are talking about going 1155 ( not 1156 socket, nice huh?), for their next version. (Not sure how soon).

I never had an I5 or I7 before the 980X that I have now. It does make quick work of opening multiple CR2 photos that are 15+MB each compared to my older system ( Pentium D dual core). When I was hashing out a new system I talked to someone in the computer business & he said that an SSD will make things seem even faster. I did go that route & Win 7 Ultimate 64 boots in secs.

JD