Sign in with
Your question

PC unresponsive, power to PSU but apparently not mobo

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
January 19, 2010 4:16:41 PM

Hello - I've done quite a bit of searching on the forum and didn't find anything particularly relating to the problem I'm having, but seeing that there were many positive responses I thought I'd put my situation out there for people to have a go at.

A week or so ago I went to turn on my PC and absolutely nothing happened: no fans, no disc spin, no beep. It is an HP desktop and barely two years old, so this struck me as odd. After doing the usual checks that there was power to the system, ram was properly inserted, etc, I still had no success. This is a computer that I need for work, and accordingly after 10 hours straight trying to troubleshoot it I was getting desperate, so I did a complete tear-down/rebuild (something which has worked for me on numerous occasions on different machines in the past). This time, however, after having no previous problems other than noisy fans, it had no effect and the machine was still dead.

I stripped it down to just the bare essentials of mobo/chip/switch/PSU: nada. It was at this point I noticed that I could not see any LEDs at all on the mobo; the PSU had a green indicator light on, but nothing on the board itself. Both cables were connected from the power supply to the board, and there is no manual switch on the PSU to verify. I looked over the mobo with a magnifying glass and could see no signs of scorching or bad capacitors.

I've rebuilt many machines in the past and have frankensteined systems together from ancient hardware that had no business actually working again, so it's getting really frustrating that I can do nothing with this system. I'm really hoping that I'm just overlooking something that makes me look like a total bonehead at this point, and that perhaps it isn't even a motherboard problem at all. Anyone who can enlighten me as to where exactly I became said bonehead will have my eternal gratitude.

The board in question is an Asus OEM made for HP: IPIBL-LB.

Thanks for anything you guys can suggest.

(PS I posted this as Homebuilt because I rebuilt the machine myself, I apologize if this should have been put elsewhere)

More about : unresponsive power psu apparently mobo

January 19, 2010 5:13:39 PM

I regret to inform you that you are not a "bonehead." You have very intelligently and systematically diagnosed your situation, and have correctly at this point determined that it is probably the motherboard. You might contact HP to see how much they charge for a replacement MB.

Best regards.
m
l
January 19, 2010 7:45:39 PM

It does sound like the motherboard. The last check I can think of is if you have another power supply to try-only because that's cheaper on the (slim) chance it's the PSU and not the motherboard.

What's the warranty on the unit? Some HP's have 3 year warranties, not 1 year.
m
l
January 19, 2010 8:40:03 PM

Darn it, I figured. Thanks anyway for the replies dpaul and bran; it's the first time I've ever regretted not being a "bonehead" as I called it :)  Unfortunately the only other power supply I've got has an incompatible connection, but since the LED is lit on the current unit, I think the MB's fate is sealed.

I'd try going to HP on this one but this machine has turned out to be a nightmare. It came with a 22" LCD panel that went kaput about a week out of warranty, and it turned out that there was something like a 70% failure rate on the backlight. I almost had an embolism I was so frustrated trying to get them to do something about that, I don't have the patience to take them to task on this issue. I learned my lesson though, it was the first and last time I've ever purchased a brand-name pre-built machine. $1200 for a piece of garbage.

Thanks again.
m
l
January 19, 2010 8:50:33 PM

Sucks all around. In my experience as a tech, HP does a decent job, especially on their business models.

But, bad builds happen and consumer-aimed builds from all manufacturers can leave a lot to be desired. Again, in my experience.
m
l
December 19, 2011 3:56:57 PM

branflakes71 said:
Sucks all around. In my experience as a tech, HP does a decent job, especially on their business models.

But, bad builds happen and consumer-aimed builds from all manufacturers can leave a lot to be desired. Again, in my experience.

Is there any way that I can check the power supply without connecting the front panel cables?
I need the information to reconnect the front panel cables.Can you help?
My computer a HP 9360
My PSU green light is on.
john
jbjanisse@hotmail.com
Will waight for your reply before I try any thing.
Thank you//
m
l
!