amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
Based on what we know so far, how well do you think Fermi will perform?

I mean like with the current 40nm TSMC yield boost, things can't be too shabby for Nvidia, right?

Fermi does look big though.

we dont know how their GPGPU implementation is going to affect gaming performance, it might all transfer well and perform quite well, or it might have half the chip sitting there doing nothing. We wont really know until it gets benched which wont be for several weeks yet.

While 40nm will let it run cooler, simply using a smaller size doesnt help at all and good architecture has always made more of a difference than being able to double up what you already had, and we dont know if fermi has either yet.

Latest rumors
30+% better than the 5870, rumored from nVidia, so take with even more salt
Other rumors 20% better than the 5870, which puts it same distance in perf as the 280 was of the 4870, and more likely.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
Well definately with all the CUDA cores, this baby will be hell at GPGPU. From the way I've read the techinical stuff it just looks really brute force. Like simple adding more and more CPU cores to a die when you shrink it, with slapped on Dx11.

I wonder what Fermi's market position will be tho. With the fact that it's almost been a full 6 month cycle since AMD first launched the HD 5xxx series. I don't think Nvidia's biggest concern in the HD 5xxx series since about in 2 months we should see AMD's 6xxx series if AMD keeps the traditional 6 month graphics generational cycle.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
im assuming that fermi will be outperform the 5870 by a noticeable margin, but only a few frames in most games. im also predicting it will be much more epxensive, making the performancew gain hard to justify. i also predict they will overclock badly due to heat output, and when compared to an OCd 5870, will fall behind.

all in all, i imagine fermi will be good, but not good enough.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
Well obviously Nvidia has problems with Fermi.

Otherwise they wouldn't have delayed Fermi to such a point.

Unless they knew Fermi was vastly superior and are stocking up on inventory for a surprise attack on AMD.

Someone said in another thread that theyd be the first to say Fermi=fail, I thought about that, and this is more telling, each day its not here is failure.
The gpgpu abilities could be astounding within nVidias own scope, which is fine in most apps its aimed for, on DT? It may leave it somewhat too propietary, tho its still early

Except for single precision or integer calculations, where at expected launch speeds it will be just a bit faster than G200b and equal or slower than HD4870, let alone HD5870. Even if they get it as fast as the GTX285 it will only be about half the performance of Cypress (1.5Tflops to 2.75).

Where it evens the gap is in the double precision calculations, where it is expected to be about 650Gflops to HD5870's 544Gflops. This is good for HPC work, but not necessarily other situations. It depends alot on the app being used, and only a few would do 'all DP all the time'.

And remember the launch consumer card will likely not have the full compliment of 'cores', so it will likely be pretty close to the HD5870 there too.

And then you have the HD5970 with way more than even the best estimates for Fermi.

Now the thing that will differentiate Fermi will be it's memory and cache structures which will help some HPC calculations, but not most consumer level GPGPU apps.

I don't think Nvidia's biggest concern in the HD 5xxx series since about in 2 months we should see AMD's 6xxx series if AMD keeps the traditional 6 month graphics generational cycle.

Since when did AMD have a 'tradition' of 6 month GPU cycles? More like 18-24 months with a mid-generation refresh. Expect an HD5890 refresh this year, and an HD6xxx early NEXT year.

I realized that after i typed it. I have a feeling tho, it may be more important just having tranny numbers at these lower nodes, as nVidia is already crying about "perfection" on a 3.2 billion trans. chip. It wont be gettin easier heheh

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Its more then likely amd will try lowend graphic chips on 28 to mature process and prepare for highend chips this year.
So far it seems GF is ahead of schedule :)
http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/01/09/global-foundries-28nm-wafer-spotted/

Not sure how is 28nm process going on for TSMC.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

It is posted on a rumour site tho.

bige420

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
I just dont see how Nvidia could ever release a dual gpu fermi card if a single gpu already takes a 6+8 pin power. I dont even want to imagine what two of them would take.

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/17197/1/

TRENDING THREADS