First OC attempt

asylumdance

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
Hello all,
i recently purchased a phenom II x4 BE along with an asus sabertooth 990fx mobo. I am aware that with the BE's, OC'ing is supposed to be made simple with the unlocked multiplier, which is a large reason i bought it. My problem is that im having difficulty identifying where this is located in the UEFI BIOS,. Im deathly afraid of changing the wrong thing and screwing something up permanently, and could use some direction.

Solution
1. It's telling the BIOS to subtract the amount you enter from the voltage it would otherwise send to the CPU at a given speed. (The voltage varies with speed automatically)

If you were to select "+" it would tell the BIOS to add the amount you enter to it's automatic voltage target.

2. Vcore is the voltage supplied to the cores of your CPU. More voltage means more stability, more heat, and more "wear and tear."

The trick with overclocking is to go as fast as you can, while maintaining stability, with the least amount of voltage and heat as possible.

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
Top right hand corner of the BIOS has a button labeled "exit/advanced mode".

Click it and go to the advanced menu. Then click "Ai tweaker". In that menu, "CPU Ratio" is the multiplier. (You may have to select "manual" for Ai tuner before you can change the CPU ratio.)

Then I would go further down the menu to "CPU and NB voltage. Change it to "offset mode." Then change the sign to " - ".

Then go down to "CPU offset voltage" Here is where you will make adjustments to your vcore after you see how high the motherboard sets the voltage after you up the multiplier to where you want it.

Use something like Prime95 to load the CPU, Core Temp to monitor core temps and CPU-Z to see where your voltages are.

Try to stay below 55C at full load, and 1.45v on voltage.

asylumdance

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012

thanks much for the help, a couple of questions in response :

1. When i change the symbol for "CPU and NB voltage" in "offset mode" to "-", what exactly is that doing?
2. What is the vcore, and what adjustments might need to be made after changing the multiplier?

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
1. It's telling the BIOS to subtract the amount you enter from the voltage it would otherwise send to the CPU at a given speed. (The voltage varies with speed automatically)

If you were to select "+" it would tell the BIOS to add the amount you enter to it's automatic voltage target.

2. Vcore is the voltage supplied to the cores of your CPU. More voltage means more stability, more heat, and more "wear and tear."

The trick with overclocking is to go as fast as you can, while maintaining stability, with the least amount of voltage and heat as possible.

Solution

asylumdance

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012

Right on well thanks for your time, ill post again after i tinker with it and see what i get

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010

Don't be deathly afraid of anything. As long as you don't change the voltage (which isn't necessary for a modest OC) you won't fry anything. Windows will reboot if your cooler cant handle the heat. In which case you may want to reset the cooler and thermal paste.
I wouldn't mess around with any vcore settings until after you feel comfortable with a simple stable OC. Check your OC with Prime95.