Sign in with
Your question

Computer starts running slow

Last response: in Windows 7
October 15, 2011 9:44:41 PM

Hello,
I've had my desktop PC in for repairs 5 times for dropping into a slow running state. It was HPs top of the line 2 years ago and has plenty of horsepower. It runs fine for a few howers. Then, it starts taking 20 to 30 minutes just to open a folder. Boot up takes 30+ minutes. The Geek Squad seems to think mother board. They've run all the diagnostics and cleaning programs. They eliminated the hard drive, too,
Any ideas?
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
October 15, 2011 10:31:16 PM

are they the ones who have had it 5 times?

if so they cant be very good if they havent solved the problem yet--hope they didnt charge you every time

i would think the last suspect would be your motherboard

why not try running a linux live cd to see if you get the same slowdown--or a virtual machine--or run it in safe mode

if it doesnt slow down in safe mode its usually a good indicator that its not a hardware fault but a software one--you can also run msconfig and tell it to load a diagnostic startup to try to see if its a software fault

personally i would suspect either a software issue or memory or hard drive in that order--how did they eliminate the hard drive?
m
l
October 15, 2011 11:22:48 PM

If you bought it from them I would think it would have some kind of lemon coverage.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 15, 2011 11:30:56 PM

vigilante212 said:
If you bought it from them I would think it would have some kind of lemon coverage.

never heard of lemon coverage before--i take it thats something to do with the saying that you bought a lemon? as in its duff

and i take it thats a us law
m
l
October 16, 2011 4:06:22 AM

Yes. I work for Office max and if something is brought to us 4 times we replace it under the policy because its a lemon. Thats assuming you purchased the policy when you bought the machine from us.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 16, 2011 8:24:20 AM

Did u tried run CHKDSK?

Open the "Computer" window
Right-click on the drive in question
Select the "Tools" tab
In the Error-checking area, click <Check Now>.
m
l
!