Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Gaming System for $1800 max

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 19, 2010 5:34:27 PM

So I have done a TON of research and reading on components for a system. I'm looking to spend 1800 max for a "complete" system. I need your guys input. I've put together a list of parts but it's a bit over 1800.

Building a system for Gaming+home based business+home entertainment system. This computer will be used in very small apt for all my needs. I just need help tweaking components to meet my price requirement without sacrificing quality.

Antec TPQ-850 850W PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 149.99
COOLER MASTER HAF 932 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 149.99
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 289.99
EVGA GTX 275 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 279.99
Intel i7 920 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 288.99
OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 149.99 (would like to go 12gigs) but it appears to be cost prohibitive.
Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 169.99 (for OS/programs)
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 99.99
(for media/file storage etc)
Cooler Master V8 CPU cooler http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 74.99
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 6.99
Samsung T240HD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 249.99
LG Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 25.99
(would love a blue ray player but again cost prohibitive)

Total for above listed comes to 1926.88 So I need to adjust and knock this down approx 150.00

I also need/want a Wireless N card as Apt I'm living in can get internet access from landlord free if i have this.

So thats the list. Any suggestions etc for building similar system for 1800 MAX would be great.

Thanks all.

More about : gaming system 1800 max

January 19, 2010 5:48:01 PM

Change your main OS HDD to a Samsung SpinPointF3 or a Seagate 7200.12. They perform comparably to the velociraptor's, for less than half the price.
m
0
l
January 19, 2010 6:01:08 PM

djg is right, the F3 Spinpoint runs even faster than the WD velociraptors due to the 500GB platters. The 500GB F3s are around $55 where the 1TB F3s are around $80. Right there you've saved yourself $100.

Case: HAF 922 - $99.98 This case is huge and has excellent air flow, it will definitely meet your needs.

Mobo: ASUS P6X58D Premium - $284.99 This has the new SATA III and USB 3.0 and is $5 cheaper.

PSU: OCZ GameXStream 850W - $109.99 (before $30 MIR) This PSU will do your system just fine. If you have your PSU mounted on the bottom a modular unit doesn't really add all that much because the cords at the bottom are already out of the way.

HSF: Cooler Master Hyper 212 - $30 For the price this is the best HSF you'll find, and some people even prefer it over the V8. If you're not going to do crazy overclocking (approaching 4GHz) the Hyper 212 will be fine.

As for the rest, it looks pretty good. From the savings we've made here I'm sure it would be possible to fit an HD 5870 in your system which: performs better than the GTX 275, and has DX11 support so it's much more future proof.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 19, 2010 6:02:14 PM

Cheaper and as far as I'm aware a very good PSU at 850W Seasonic S12D 850 Silver 850W 80plus Silver $120 Chances are by the time people are done recommending stuff to you, you will not be buying an 850W PSU, but if for some reason you do, then this is a better option. Saves you around $30.
The Cooler Master HAF 922 is a cheaper case that is just as good as the 932 in pretty much every way and supposedly better in terms of cooling. Saves you around $40.
The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus is a cheaper CPU Cooler, and is all you will need unless you are going a pretty aggressive overclock. Saves you around $45.
I'm not really convinced that a Velociraptor is needed when you can get 7200 RPM drives that are supposedly better/faster than them. For instance the Samsung Spinpoint F3s and Seagate Barracuda 7200.12s I've seen stated as being faster than them.
This combo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... gets you the same processor and motherboard, plus RAM for $715 dollars with a $20 rebate. Potentially it could save you $15 if the three individual parts that you listed come to $730, correct me if I'm wrong.
m
0
l
January 19, 2010 6:08:09 PM

If you do manage to get a 5850 or 5870 into the budget to replace the GTX 275, then you would definitely have to drop down to a 750W PSU.
m
0
l
January 19, 2010 6:40:44 PM

Silvune said:
If you do manage to get a 5850 or 5870 into the budget to replace the GTX 275, then you would definitely have to drop down to a 750W PSU.



Why would I have to drop down to lower PSU? Isn't higher PSU always better? Less stress IE: system requirements only need 650w but for consistent power 850 gives you head room?

Or am I missing something here? I figured 850w was good middle ground. Not too much of an overkill but not just barely meeting my system requirements either.
m
0
l
January 19, 2010 6:44:30 PM

Definitely because of the cost, and the 5000 series of ATI cards don't use much power at all. 750W is plenty to crossfire two 5870s.
m
0
l
January 19, 2010 6:52:32 PM

mavanhel said:
djg is right, the F3 Spinpoint runs even faster than the WD velociraptors due to the 500GB platters. The 500GB F3s are around $55 where the 1TB F3s are around $80. Right there you've saved yourself $100.

Case: HAF 922 - $99.98 This case is huge and has excellent air flow, it will definitely meet your needs.

Mobo: ASUS P6X58D Premium - $284.99 This has the new SATA III and USB 3.0 and is $5 cheaper.

PSU: OCZ GameXStream 850W - $109.99 (before $30 MIR) This PSU will do your system just fine. If you have your PSU mounted on the bottom a modular unit doesn't really add all that much because the cords at the bottom are already out of the way.

HSF: Cooler Master Hyper 212 - $30 For the price this is the best HSF you'll find, and some people even prefer it over the V8. If you're not going to do crazy overclocking (approaching 4GHz) the Hyper 212 will be fine.

As for the rest, it looks pretty good. From the savings we've made here I'm sure it would be possible to fit an HD 5870 in your system which: performs better than the GTX 275, and has DX11 support so it's much more future proof.



Ok 2 additional questions for all of you. How much am I losing if I just went with 1 HD a decent 1TB without having one specifically for OS? I know i've read systems are faster with Dedicated OS drive but considering cost should I just go for one?

#2 I DO want to OC. I've read the i7 920 with the MB i listed "not sure about the P6x58d" I can approach 3.67-3.82 with a simple BKCLK adjustment. To overlock that much though do I need better cooler? IE: Water cooler? I've never messed with them but if I do what do you guys think about http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ??

Your posts are really helping I appreciate. Just trying to narrow things down. If I can save enough for a 5850 or 5870 which should I go with and is there a brand that is better? All my cards have been EVGA for last several years so I"m not sure on quality on other brands.
m
0
l
January 19, 2010 7:06:03 PM

If it were my build, I'd scratch the whole dedicated OS drive thing and just get a 1TB Samsung SpinPoint F3 like this one. I don't think you're going to experience much, if any, performance degradation from not having a dedicated OS drive. Not only is the 1TB SpinPoint F3 significantly cheaper, but it's I think better for your situation. Now instead of having one "fast" hard drive for the OS and one "slow" hard drive for storage, you have one big "fast" hard drive for OS and storage...and for a third of the cost.

As for overclocking, a CoolerMaster V8 should handle a pretty hefty overclock just fine. If you're intent on watercooling, I would suggest you go with a pre-built CPU water cooling system like the CoolIT Domino A.L.C. DH-1000. Its a full CPU water cooling kit, and since it's pre assembled, you won't have to worry about creating a loop, mounting tanks and pumps and radiators everywhere, and checking for leaks. This sort of cooler will likely perform similarly to the V8, maybe a little bit better. It looks as though this system is not currently available on newegg, but I bet you could find it somewhere else.

The brand of any given card is pretty irrelevant. Some people prefer XFX for their warranty. Other than that though, it's pretty much just an aesthetic choice.
m
0
l
January 19, 2010 7:10:32 PM

Well I've read on another forum that the noise from the pump of the Corsair H50 is quite noticeable in a HAF case.
MSI, HIS, XFX, Sapphire are four quality GPU brands that I can think of off the top of my head, there are others.
I can't really answer the question about the harddrive.
If you look at one of Frostytech's recent heatsink test that the Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus is in the top 10. http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=248... and here is their actual recent-ish review of the hyper 212 plus: http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=241...
m
0
l

Best solution

January 19, 2010 8:29:17 PM

Katharus said:
Ok 2 additional questions for all of you. How much am I losing if I just went with 1 HD a decent 1TB without having one specifically for OS? I know i've read systems are faster with Dedicated OS drive but considering cost should I just go for one?

#2 I DO want to OC. I've read the i7 920 with the MB i listed "not sure about the P6x58d" I can approach 3.67-3.82 with a simple BKCLK adjustment. To overlock that much though do I need better cooler? IE: Water cooler? I've never messed with them but if I do what do you guys think about http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


1: Personally I'd stick with a 1TB drive, but partition it so that your OS is on one partition, and everything else is in another. By doing this you can reinstall your OS without losing vital data.

2: If you are aiming for an OC that high then probably best to stick with the V8. I would advise against water cooling because if something goes wrong, like something pokey hits it the wrong way and a tube bursts, then your whole system is fried, but this is just my personal caution against water cooling. If you think you're up to it, then by all means go for it. It would give you some great bragging rights as well. (Note: since I stay away from water cooling I don't know anything about it and therefore cannot advise you as to which brands are good and whatnot. I'm sure someone else will give you some great advice here.)
Share
January 29, 2010 1:26:41 AM

Best answer selected by Katharus.
m
0
l
!