Replacing Celeron 2.6 with Pentium 4 3.0D

rrobles90

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Okay, so I know this is a topic about old components, but please don't make fun of me.

I currently have a computer with a Pentium 4 3.0E (Prescott), and 1.5GB of DDR400 RAM. The motherboard is showing signs of dying, the power supply is probably dead. In short, not really worth replacing. Also, we have lots of laptops in my house so the desktop is barely ever used. However, the other components still work.
My grandfather currently owns a Dell something with a Celeron 2.6 and 1.0GB of DDR333 RAM, and it is obviously not very fast. My question is: can I put my Pentium 4 3.0E and my RAM into his motherboard?

My Pentium 4 is a Prescott 90nm, and his Celeron is a Northwood 130nm.

Probably not, but it won't hurt anything to try. Your faster ram may run at 333 in your father's system. You'll just have to try it. Dell boards don't get as many bios updates; dell would prefer you to purchase another system.

The RAM should go in just fine. As for the P4, it all depends on the BIOS and the motherboard. See if you can't find a BIOS update for that model online and then try it out. If the board is physically capable, but the code for the CPU isn't in the BIOS, then you can always try a hacked BIOS, but of course you do so at your own risk.