Sign in with
Your question

First try at overclocking - having issues with voltage

Last response: in Overclocking
September 3, 2012 12:13:58 AM

Hey all. I've done a fair bit of searching on the internet but not had any luck.

I have a i5 3570k and a Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H motherboard and am using an Enermax ETS-T40-TA cooler and am having issues overclocking.

At the moment I am overclocking to 4.4 ghz (using the turbo option, so my cpu is dynamically over clocked) and have the V-core set to 'auto'.

I am using Core Temp and CPU-Z to keep a close eye on temps and using Aida x64 to stress test my pc.

My temps are running fairly cool - no more than 77 degrees max. But what concerns me is the voltage my cpu is running at to achieve such a modest overclock. Idle they are as expected - roughly 1.15 but under stress they shoot up to 1.368. I hear anything over 1.3 is not ideal for Ivy Bridge.

I have also tried manually setting the V-core at a respectable 1.27 and setting the frequency to 44 and my pc would not boot past the bios which then completely froze meaning I had to reset CMOS to do anything. Even a v-core of 1.285 is completely unstable.

I have also lowered the clock to 4.2 ghz and need a voltage of 1.29 to get a stable system.

Any ideas where I am going wrong? I am reading online that people are getting 4.4 with a v-core as low as 1.15!

Please help. Many thanks.
a c 78 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 3, 2012 12:47:26 AM

Varies from chip to chip.

September 3, 2012 12:49:56 AM

Would you recommend I overclock to 4.2 ghz at leave it there? Will those voltages damage the cpu? Thanks.
a c 78 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 3, 2012 1:36:13 AM

I would pick the voltage you are comfortable delivering to that chip and lower the speed until it's stable with that voltage.

I have no experience with Ivy bridge, but I'm generally a voltage "chicken." I prefer to feed my CPU's no more voltage than they were intended to get at stock clocks.

This makes for unimpressive overclock numbers, (+700Mhz with a phenom X6 and +600Mhz with a 2600k) but both of those particular chips wanted hefty voltage bumps to advance the clock just a little past those points anyway.

!