No PS3 surround sound using Gigabyte Optical input

rmccullough

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
I just installed the optical input card that gigabyte makes onto my ep45-ud3r rev1.1 so i could get surround sound from my ps3. But it doesn't work. I either get an extremely bad static sound or just 2 channel audio. I tried a couple games and didn't get anything but static. And i only got 2 channel audio when i tried to watch the District 9 Blu-Ray. Is there some hidden option somewhere that i need to enable to get 5.1 or do i need to buy a new audio card?

Thanks
>Ryan

Unless, you have the Optional/separate S/PDIF input I/O connected - the S/PDIF on the MOBO is output only, and only 2-channel input. I assume by PS3 you mean inputting audio from your Play Station 3 into your PC.
spdif_optional.jpg

Verify that the S/PDIF is indeed connected to the SPDIF_I connection on the MOBO. Next, rather that rewriting the Manual - download and begin on page 107 of the PDF. There you'll find a detail "How to" and software setup.

GA-EP45-UD3R - http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/motherboard_manual_ga-ep45-ud3(r)_e.pdf

Good Luck!

rmccullough

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
It was semi-expensive($200 off ebay), but i've wanted those speakers for a few years. This just gave me an excuse to get them.

I tried every setting i could think of and i could only get the 2 channels to work.

Correct; hence the problem with the SPDIF standard. The only surround formats that can be carried are Dolby/DTS audio, which need to be decoded, otherwise you get static as the output. Annyoing, since the only way for a PC to decode said audio formats is through some other program (Windows Media Player. Cyberlink PowerDVD, etc).