Sign in with
Your question

Which part to update on my computer.

Last response: in Systems
January 19, 2010 6:53:42 PM

Hello.

I assume this is supposed to go here, didnt see anywhere else where it would fit. Anyways I am planning to update my computer in the next few weeks. I have $200 - $300 to work with and am not sure what makes the most sense,

my computer set up is as follows:

OS - Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit (will be updating to Windows 7 64 with the new hardware so I get the full effect of the RAM)

RAM - 4 gigs DDR2 PC-6400

Processor - Intel Core2 DUO 2.13GHz E6400 2M Cache 1066MHz

Vid Card - NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
(My original idea was to get another 8800 GTX and dual them, but I cant seem to find any and dont know if it would make sense anymore)

I couldnt decide whether upgrading the processor or vid card would make more sense. If more info is needed I would be glad to supply it.

Thanks for any advice.

Brian

More about : part update computer

a c 84 B Homebuilt system
January 19, 2010 6:58:12 PM

Start saving for a new build.

Everything is so bad in that, I can't point at one thing to upgrade. The CPU is obviously really old, but to upgrade it to anything decent would require a new motherboard and new RAM, which would be more like $400. The GPU is also really old, but I wouldn't want to throw a huge card in there to just be handicapped by the rest of the build.

So my recommendation is that you start saving for a new build. If that $300 is burning a hole in your pocket, you could shell it all out for an HD 5850, which should still be good when you build a new one.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 19, 2010 7:27:29 PM

The E6400 could easily be overclocked to 3GHz to give you a boost in performance. I have a machine that's been running an E6420 at 3.2GHz for almost three years now. It's rock solid and 100% stable.

What do you use your computer for? What resolution does your monitor run at? What PSU do you have? We can't offer any meaningful advice without that information.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
January 19, 2010 7:38:31 PM

Both the CPU and video card are too old. But if you replace one and not the other, it'll be a waste. And as mentioned above, if you replace the CPU, you'll need to replace the motherboard as well.

However...

GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H + AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition combo - $223.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

SAPPHIRE 100245HDMI Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 - $99.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That will get you a machine that's not quite cutting-edge, but close enough that it will make no difference to the untrained observer. Definitely a nice machine for $325. The key is that you're able to keep your RAM, case and power supply this way.

If that's still too much money, you could save about $75 by going with a triple-core processor instead of the quad core:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

m
l
January 20, 2010 2:15:33 PM

Thats pretty much what i was expecting. Thanks for the advice and the information. I'll probably go with capt_taco's suggestion. Thanks
m
l
!