Which part to update on my computer.

Hello.

I assume this is supposed to go here, didnt see anywhere else where it would fit. Anyways I am planning to update my computer in the next few weeks. I have $200 - $300 to work with and am not sure what makes the most sense,

my computer set up is as follows:

OS - Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit (will be updating to Windows 7 64 with the new hardware so I get the full effect of the RAM)

RAM - 4 gigs DDR2 PC-6400

Processor - Intel Core2 DUO 2.13GHz E6400 2M Cache 1066MHz

Vid Card - NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
(My original idea was to get another 8800 GTX and dual them, but I cant seem to find any and dont know if it would make sense anymore)

I couldnt decide whether upgrading the processor or vid card would make more sense. If more info is needed I would be glad to supply it.

Thanks for any advice.

Brian
4 answers Last reply
More about which part update computer
  1. Start saving for a new build.

Everything is so bad in that, I can't point at one thing to upgrade. The CPU is obviously really old, but to upgrade it to anything decent would require a new motherboard and new RAM, which would be more like $400. The GPU is also really old, but I wouldn't want to throw a huge card in there to just be handicapped by the rest of the build.

So my recommendation is that you start saving for a new build. If that $300 is burning a hole in your pocket, you could shell it all out for an HD 5850, which should still be good when you build a new one.
  2. The E6400 could easily be overclocked to 3GHz to give you a boost in performance. I have a machine that's been running an E6420 at 3.2GHz for almost three years now. It's rock solid and 100% stable.

What do you use your computer for? What resolution does your monitor run at? What PSU do you have? We can't offer any meaningful advice without that information.
  3. Both the CPU and video card are too old. But if you replace one and not the other, it'll be a waste. And as mentioned above, if you replace the CPU, you'll need to replace the motherboard as well.

However...

GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H + AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition combo - $223.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.320338

SAPPHIRE 100245HDMI Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 - $99.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102824

That will get you a machine that's not quite cutting-edge, but close enough that it will make no difference to the untrained observer. Definitely a nice machine for $325. The key is that you're able to keep your RAM, case and power supply this way.

If that's still too much money, you could save about $75 by going with a triple-core processor instead of the quad core:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.316157
  4. Thats pretty much what i was expecting. Thanks for the advice and the information. I'll probably go with capt_taco's suggestion. Thanks
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Computer Systems Product