Sign in with
Your question

Questions about pagefile after ReadyBoost is installed

Last response: in Storage
January 13, 2012 12:30:54 PM

Hello All,

I have installed a 64Gb Toshiba stick that qualifies for ReadyBoost, and it's large enough to use on BOTH of my W7 dual boots (typical W7 boot and a W7 deeply-tuned audio/video boot). Beasides the 64Gb ReadyBoost above, I also have a Cheetah SAS 15K5 15K 134Gb HDD I have aprtitioned for audio samples, audio-video temp/scratch files (cache) and could do a 3rd partition for system HDD cache if better than ReadyBoost. Make sense?

1. How do I delete the original pagefile off of the boot HDD (so it does not appear in defraq)?

2. When using ReadyBoost and intend to also use NO HDD pagefile), do I set the system page to 0 (no page file) or set it to which setting in terms of using ReadyBoost?

3. Should I use ReadyBoost and a HDD pagefile on the Cheetah? How do I set a pagefile off of the boot HDD?

Is this making sense? In earlier days, after formatting the audio recording boot HDD, one of the first things I did was to set pagefile to 0 (or none) on my DAW audio recording system. How do I do this this or am I way off target?

Thanks,

a c 317 G Storage
January 13, 2012 5:32:15 PM

If you want to turn off the paging file go into the System control panel, select Advanced system settings, Advanced tab, under Performance click on the Settings button, advanced tab, then click Change button under Virtual memory. Choose each drive and select No paging file and then click set and then finally OK to close the Window.

Restart and then you can check in the same place to see if they are gone. If the drive is attached and it is possible to set a paging file on it, it will be done through the same location.

I will assume you understand what will happen if you don't have a paging file and use all physical memory.
m
l
a b G Storage
January 13, 2012 6:02:16 PM

Just to make sure, but this is a USB3 stick you want to use correct (and on a USB3 port)? Because USB2 will be much slower than most system drives. If it is a real issue of speed then I would put it on the cheetah instead of the USB drive, or move on up to an SSD.
Depending on what you are doing, and how much Ram your system has, you could turn the page file off entirely (which is what I did on my wife's PC when we moved to SSD that has 4GB of ram and is used for internet and office use), but as Realbeast said, it will cause issues if you dont have enough system memory for what you intend to do with it.

If you are having Ram issues with your DAW then just buy more Ram if you need it. 4-8GB is fairly cheap these days (even older DDR2 isnt too expensive), and should be enough for several real time tracks of audio recording and editing. Also, having a 1-3ms delay is generally fine for 'real time' recording setups as it is not noticeable by most mere mortals (though some claim to be able to hear it), and it is easily correctable in post production if the delay is audible.
I bet you can't wait for USB3 interfaces to come out this year! USB2 just isn't enough bandwidth to reliably do 8+ tracks with 0ms delay, but USB3 should open up 20+ track real time solutions... for a price lol.

the 15K drive is way overkill for audio recording, and way too noisy to work with in the same room. You would be much better served with much quieter 5900rpm drives in RAID1 or 0 down the line. And stay away from over-partitioning a drive as it forces data to be stored closer to the center of the drive where response times are slower (and makes for a hell of a data recovery effort if the drive ever fails unexpectedly).
Again, do more research on ReadyBoost as it was a failure of an idea when it came out, and is generally slower than even most 5400rpm drives on the market today. Much better to move to SSD if it is that much of a concern.
m
l
!