CPU Overclock Fail! Need Help!

spankyc

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012
I recently tried overclocking my Intel Core 2 Quad q6600 from the stock 2.4GHZ to try and make it 3.0GHZusing the bios on my mobo. I read that people safely did this at 3.2GHZ with a stock cooler so I just decided to go with 2.7GHZ. I used CPU-Z to figure out my core multiplier and it said it was 6. I changed my fsb to 450 which would be 2.7. After I saved the setting my desktop will not power on now. I tried resetting the cmos (left it out for 30 minutes) and pulling out each piece of hardware and testing it individually. All hardware works and the motherboard light comes on as green (not sure if that helps any). I have no clue what else to due. Please help! By the way my motherboard is an Intel DG43RK using Kingston 2x4GB DDRE 1333 memory.

G

there were several mistakes you made.

first thinking that if someone else could achieve that type of overclock you could too without doing it in small increments and testing along the way.

two, you were completely wrong on the multi, you should have googled it and found out its 9 and not 6:
http://ark.intel.com/products/29765/Intel-Core2-Quad-Processor-Q6600-(8M-Cache-2_40-GHz-1066-MHz-FSB)

three, that motherboard you have is a G43 chipset and is completely horrible to overclock with. you would have done better (but still not as high as you thought) with a P45 chipset.

four, you have no idea WTF you are doing. please stop and read some guides and understand what to do before doing it!

hope this helps. (and that you didn't fry anything!)

spankyc

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012

Lol you are right, i tried reading some stuff on overclocking and I thought I had it figured out but I guess not XD

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Your FSB is defaulted at 266 if my calculations are correct...OH, RTC can be reset by pulling the jumper from 1-2 to 2-3 for about 5 minutes then put it back on 1-2...So if you get it to boot up..Start out by pulling the RAM multi back to x4 and then bump up the FSB to 300..That will be 2.7 GHz on the CPU and 1250 MHz on the RAM...Remember the FSB is the volume control of the system ...It OC's all components in the system

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
I assure you, you do have an RTC header on the board...the jumper is on the header...it is like a little square piece of plastic on two pins with a three pin header normally labeled RTC..They are usually near the front panel header on the MOBO

G

page 53 of the manual at:
http://downloadmirror.intel.com/18711/eng/DG43RK_ProductGuide01_English.pdf
captureopi.png

least i could do after my negative comments, sorry about that :)

rdc85

Honorable
It maybe had came to the worst...

just hope it just the memory, try with only one stick at a time, see if any of it can work also try with different slot combination

if u got internal/onboard vga use it too....
If it don't had one, try unplug the grafic card and replug it again (reseat).....

G

you may get lucky(?): look at the capacitors on the mother board if any have a bulge on the top or any transistors looked like they "browned out", you found the problem. but ram or cpu would need to be tested in another rig to find out about.

spankyc

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012

Replaced ram with ram that I pulled out my current rig and I have no way of testing the cpu. And all the capacitors look fine and the motherboard I just bought last month so hopefully that didnt die.