CPU Overclock Fail! Need Help!

I recently tried overclocking my Intel Core 2 Quad q6600 from the stock 2.4GHZ to try and make it 3.0GHZusing the bios on my mobo. I read that people safely did this at 3.2GHZ with a stock cooler so I just decided to go with 2.7GHZ. I used CPU-Z to figure out my core multiplier and it said it was 6. I changed my fsb to 450 which would be 2.7. After I saved the setting my desktop will not power on now. I tried resetting the cmos (left it out for 30 minutes) and pulling out each piece of hardware and testing it individually. All hardware works and the motherboard light comes on as green (not sure if that helps any). I have no clue what else to due. Please help! By the way my motherboard is an Intel DG43RK using Kingston 2x4GB DDRE 1333 memory.
31 answers Last reply
More about overclock fail help
  1. 450 on the FSB is wayyyy too much....try resetting the RTC as well as the CMOS ...use only one stick of RAM...BTW with the FSB set at 450 the RAM was OCed to 2250 MHz...So yeah way too high
  2. Always overclock in small steps and test frequently as you go. Never assume that your hardware can replicate someone else's results.

I hope you are able to recover your hardware.
  3. And the reason your multi was at 6 was for power saving.
  4. How would I go about resetting the rtc? Also I checked on CPU-Z and it said my core multiplier was 6, was CPU-Z wrong because I just read that it is 9 :\
  5. Did you see the actual clock speed when the multiplier was 6? That'll be the idle downclocking feature.. At full speed it will be 9..
  6. there were several mistakes you made.

first thinking that if someone else could achieve that type of overclock you could too without doing it in small increments and testing along the way.

two, you were completely wrong on the multi, you should have googled it and found out its 9 and not 6:
    http://ark.intel.com/products/29765/Intel-Core2-Quad-Processor-Q6600-(8M-Cache-2_40-GHz-1066-MHz-FSB)

three, that motherboard you have is a G43 chipset and is completely horrible to overclock with. you would have done better (but still not as high as you thought) with a P45 chipset.

four, you have no idea WTF you are doing. please stop and read some guides and understand what to do before doing it!

hope this helps. (and that you didn't fry anything!)
  7. It changes you multi dynamically to save power.
  8. Dang that sucks >.< lowjack said to reset the rtc but I have no clue what that is. I just tried using 1 stick of ram and clearing the cmos but nothing.
  9. Anonymous said:
    there were several mistakes you made.

first thinking that if someone else could achieve that type of overclock you could too without doing it in small increments and testing along the way.

two, you were completely wrong on the multi, you should have googled it and found out its 9 and not 6:
    http://ark.intel.com/products/29765/Intel-Core2-Quad-Processor-Q6600-(8M-Cache-2_40-GHz-1066-MHz-FSB)

three, that motherboard you have is a G43 chipset and is completely horrible to overclock with. you would have done better (but still not as high as you thought) with a P45 chipset.

four, you have no idea WTF you are doing. please stop and read some guides and understand what to do before doing it!

hope this helps. (and that you didn't fry anything!)

Lol you are right, i tried reading some stuff on overclocking and I thought I had it figured out but I guess not XD
  10. Your FSB is defaulted at 266 if my calculations are correct...OH, RTC can be reset by pulling the jumper from 1-2 to 2-3 for about 5 minutes then put it back on 1-2...So if you get it to boot up..Start out by pulling the RAM multi back to x4 and then bump up the FSB to 300..That will be 2.7 GHz on the CPU and 1250 MHz on the RAM...Remember the FSB is the volume control of the system ...It OC's all components in the system
  11. So after reset the cmos it boot as usual?

If not there a chance it burn something.

when watching cpu-z try using stress program like prime 95, so it show u the reading when working not when the cpu idle ..
  12. Alright, this may seem like a stupid question but what if I don't have any jumpers?
  13. I assure you, you do have an RTC header on the board...the jumper is on the header...it is like a little square piece of plastic on two pins with a three pin header normally labeled RTC..They are usually near the front panel header on the MOBO
  14. page 53 of the manual at:
    http://downloadmirror.intel.com/18711/eng/DG43RK_ProductGuide01_English.pdf

least i could do after my negative comments, sorry about that :)
  15. Anonymous said:
    page 53 of the manual at:
    http://downloadmirror.intel.com/18711/eng/DG43RK_ProductGuide01_English.pdf
    http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/3805/captureopi.png

least i could do after my negative comments, sorry about that :)

Looniam, you are a life saver XD
  16. I hope that my info was able to help ... :sarcastic:
  17. Just reset the RTC and cmos but still does the same thing :\ it will turn on for a couple of seconds then restart. Do you think i fried the cpu?
  18. lowjack989 said:
    I hope that my info was able to help ... :sarcastic:

19. It maybe had came to the worst...

just hope it just the memory, try with only one stick at a time, see if any of it can work also try with different slot combination

if u got internal/onboard vga use it too....
    If it don't had one, try unplug the grafic card and replug it again (reseat).....
  20. :lol: Yeah I do, looniam...
  21. Yup I'm pretty sure its fried. But the good news is I found a q6600 on craigslist for 50 bucks :D
  22. It could be the RAM, board, or CPU
  23. you may get lucky(?): look at the capacitors on the mother board if any have a bulge on the top or any transistors looked like they "browned out", you found the problem. but ram or cpu would need to be tested in another rig to find out about.
  24. Anonymous said:
    you may get lucky(?): look at the capacitors on the mother board if any have a bulge on the top or any transistors looked like they "browned out", you found the problem. but ram or cpu would need to be tested in another rig to find out about.

Replaced ram with ram that I pulled out my current rig and I have no way of testing the cpu. And all the capacitors look fine and the motherboard I just bought last month so hopefully that didnt die.
  25. no way to know what is broken, it could be the mobo/proc/ram/etc...... so don't buy anything yet....
  26. So any ideas on what to do?
  27. Alright guys I was digging around for more info and i read that Intel Cpu's are really hard to fry so I think I might RMA my motherboard and see if that's the problem.
  28. find someone with a socket 775 motherboard and offer them an order of large fries at mcdonalds to test your cpu in their rig.
  29. Lol well before i bought this motherboard my previous motherboard fried due to a faulty power supply and it was doing the exact same thing as this one. I'll call my friend after I get some sleep and see if I can borrow one of his. Ill post the result when I get a chance. Thanks for all the help guys. :D
  30. Good news everyone! I reset the rtc and cmos on the motherboard that i thought the power supply fried and it works! Cpu and mobo was not dead. But my current mobo (the one that i was talking about the whole time last night died(RIP)
  31. Good deal nice to see that ya got it working...except that other mobo...
Ask a new question

Read More

Intel Overclocking