Sign in with
Your question

Intel, really?

Last response: in Overclocking
September 3, 2012 6:33:32 AM

This is just not impressive. Intel is trying to lose my business.

First, I have a 5 hour install of a new mobo and CPU because they're Z77 don't fit my cooler for some reason, even though it's designed for Intel boards :bounce:  yay Intel!

Then, finally, after that process, my RAM doesn't work at all, except one stick in one slot. I can't even boot. Every other slot but one in channel B seemed broken, but the one slot worked with all 4 sticks of my old RAM. So I got the newest BIOS and installed all the drivers, and my RAM slots were still messed up. So I raised the V of my RAM to 1.65 V, and now I can FINALLY use a second slot, but I'm still only on one channel. Believe me, my RAM should be compatible. This is what I get for buying the expensive, quality motherboard? My old Gigabyte NEVER had a problem like that.

Now, I'm simply trying to OC my CPU with Visual Bios. I raised my multiplier to 4.2Ghz, and it did nothing. I go into BIOS again, and I have tried every power setting I can find, and still, no OC in my CPU-Z, while running 100% load on Prime95. Why did I get suckered into buying this again?

I always try to go with the lesser known brand, and then try to squeeze good use out of it. My old 965BE was easy to overclock to whatever I wanted, but I can't get a single hz out of Intel? Please....

All I see are rave reviews about Intel. I MUST be doing something wrong. Please enlighten me.

More about : intel

September 3, 2012 6:35:53 AM

PS I bought a i5-3570K and a DZ7BH-55K mobo today. Both say they're designed for overclocking. I paid extra for ease of use and quality, and I get non-responsive software and DIMM slots?

I feel like I just bought from Microsoft.
September 3, 2012 6:44:22 AM

- What cooler did you use? If it isn't stock, did you check the compatibility?

- What RAM, brand, timings, model etc

BTW, Intel boards are pretty crap. You should have gone with Gigabyte.
Related resources
a c 283 à CPUs
a b å Intel
a c 110 K Overclocking
September 3, 2012 6:46:07 AM

I've never been a fan of the Intel brand boards anyway, honestly. I don't have any personal experience with them, but just from what I've seen around here, they're just not the preferred brand for OC'ing. That's Asus and Gigabyte (and ASRock for the budget minded). I'm an Asus guy myself, though...

As far as the RAM goes, I'm not really sure what's going on there. If it's on the compatibility list, it should work, but if it's not, then it's no guarantee, of course (not that QVL's are all inclusive or anything, but if there's not a kit close to yours that's compatible, it could be an issue).
September 3, 2012 6:58:43 AM

Well I still have my old Gigabyte (by old I mean like a month), but it doesn't support my shiny new i5. That's the whole reason I got the board, the CPU required it. But they had a Gigabyte board that was cheaper, had the same features, fit the CPU and everything, and with my drivers it would have been an easy switch. I just heard that Intel is high quality. Go figure.

I used the Antec Kuhler H620. It is meant for LGA 1155, among others, according to the site. I had to cut the plastic ring to make it fit. This is definitely Intel's fault for moving away from spec, not Antec.

I use Crucial Ballistix 4GB 1333 9-9-9-24-2T rated. I am shocked that mine don't work, I have read in countless places online that they do. I may need to RMA this board. I really just want to return it.
September 3, 2012 6:59:25 AM

Even more though, does anyone know why my settings in Visual Bios won't stick to the CPU? Even under full load Prime95, right now, I'm at 47C on most of my cores, and I want to push more. But I can't, because it only throttles up to 3.4 Ghz.
a c 283 à CPUs
a b å Intel
a c 110 K Overclocking
September 3, 2012 7:06:08 AM

Borochadwicsays said:
Even more though, does anyone know why my settings in Visual Bios won't stick to the CPU? Even under full load Prime95, right now, I'm at 47C on most of my cores, and I want to push more. But I can't, because it only throttles up to 3.4 Ghz.

If you saved the settings before you exited the BIOS, I don't know, honestly.
a c 283 à CPUs
a b å Intel
a c 110 K Overclocking
September 3, 2012 7:06:51 AM

Smeg45 said:
I'd RMA the board and get something like Asus's Z77-V (not the PRO or LE) models.

Agreed.
September 3, 2012 7:23:56 AM

I'm fairly sure this thing will be a quick return to the store. I honestly can't figure out why Intel would sell such a crap product.

The i5-3570k is amazing. I finally OC'd it by using classic BIOS rather than visual, and now it works like a charm. I'm at 4.4 Ghz, about 55C under load, and I scored a 7.11 on Cinebench, compared to 4.4 with my OC'ed Phenom II X4 BE, which was also just as hot. I could probably OC even higher.

Love the CPU. The mobo... the RAM issue is ridiculous. I have downgraded by upgrading. The board looks so cool though. :)  it will be a shame to return it for another Gigabyte.

I hope someone from Intel reads this someday, but they're too big and corporate to care.
September 3, 2012 7:29:32 AM

And as far as the cooler, I saw other video's of people with z77 boards and my cooler having a hard time as well. It really didn't fit, I promise you. But I used electrical tape and elbow grease to make it work. I really dislike that companies get away with this kind of stuff in electronics all the time. They don't even pre-tap 5 dollar fans, and it makes it almost impossible to install them sometimes. Why do I have to thread your product for you?

/rant
!