kieran101

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
hi guys, first time building a complete gaming system and pretty much have most of it covered. just thought i'd throw it up here to see what your opinions are, i'd love to hear em.
I plan to oc the 920 to 4Ghz, and its gonna be air cooled btw, as i have little experience with watercooling. hopefully i will try it down the line but for now i will just cover the case with fans ;).

Mobo: ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, X58
CPU: Intel i7 920 W/ Cooler Master V8 CPU Cooler
GPU: Sapphire Radeon 5870
RAM: Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 1600MHz 6GB Kit
PSU: Corsair HX 850W
SoundCard: Creative SB X-FI Xtreme Gamer
HD: Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB SATA2 32MB 7200RPM
HD2: Intel® X25-M SSD 80GB
DVD Sony DVD±RW burner DRU-870S (something cheap for time being, will buy blu-ray later)
Case: Cosmos S

thanks for your time!

foolycooly

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
Looks pretty good Kieran. A couple of suggestions:

I would ditch the dominator GT ram for a cheaper set. G.skill makes a few great sets that will match the CAS latency and speed of the Corsair for much cheaper. If you want to stick with corsair, check out this set with the same specs as the dominators:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145236

Unless you're a big audiophile you probably won't need the soundcard. The onboard sound on today's mobos is outstanding (I can personally vouch for the P6T V2 with updated drivers)

On that note, I can confidently recommend the P6T V2. I easily reached 3.8ghz stable on my 920 with little effort and low voltage. However, ASUS has recently released a new board that has good future-proofing features like SATA 6 and USB 3.0. It also has support for intel's upcoming newer processors. Just food for thought.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131614

kieran101

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
appreciate the reply Foolycooly, im really lookin forward to piecing all this stuff together!

I'll keep those other sticks of memory in mind, and regarding the soundcard yes i have a very sensitive ear!;) nevertheless ill try without the card first to see what the onboard sound is like, can always throw it into my other machine (or tv?) if theres no need for it in this rig. can never be short of soundcards!

already ordered the board so too late to upgrade but no biggy, would be nice to have them extras tho, suppose can always buy a USB 3.0 PCIe card right?

thanks again.

logan the huge

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
I've also been looking into getting a Cosmos S and one of the downsides to it is that the larger(120mm fan) HSFs like the CM V8 won't fit unless you remove the 200mm side fan and it'd be kind of a shame to waste one the case's main features.

If you don't want to do that then you'll probably have to step down to the 92mm fan coolers like the CM N520 or TX3. I'm pretty sure the Zalman CNPS9700(110mm fan) is the largest air cooler that will fit into a Cosmos S but I don't think it comes with an LGA1366 bracket(or if one is even available).

kieran101

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
thanks a lot for that info i had no idea that would be a problem, gonna change the fan now!
still cant believe a "coolermaster" fan wont fit in a "coolermaster"case...and its a big case!...