Q6600 4.8Ghz 1.8v?????????

wonder44

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Ok. So i have just finished building my i5 2500k setup. Now i have my old Q6600 rig, im thinking of taking it as far as i can go. So i was thinking, maybe i could try 4.8ghz at 1.8v and see what happens lol. Anyone got any other ideas on how i can make it explode or blow up or catch fire???? haha. I only have one shot at it so make your answer a good one XD

G

you could always sell the PC to someone :)

If you really want to make it explode/die/etc put the CPU in the microwave and watch the light show. Although Id be very careful doing that. VERY CAREFUL.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
It won't even come close to that unless you are running on liquid nitrogen. I seem to remember that the next generation of dual core chips such as the E8600 could get over 6GHz on liquid nitrogen.

I worked with a Q6600 and with a good air cooler I got just over 3.5GHz, water cooling would do a little bit better but I don't recall hearing of anybody getting to 4.8.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I ran my Q6600 at 3.6 for quite a while with watercooling, but mostly it's going to come down to the actual chip, VID, vCore and other component stability. Not every CPU overclocks the same as some other Joe you've read about on the web.

Cooling aside, you're going to need mostly luck and good fortune to have a chip that is even capable of those speeds and remaining stable. I could get mine to 4.8, but it wasn't 100% stable. It saw boot up at 4.0 once or twice, but that lasted about 20 seconds and crashed.

If you want to blow the chip up just connect any two arbitrary pins directly to a wall outlet, or a 30v DC power supply

wonder44

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Haha people, this is not going to be a overclock, its purely for ruining/murdering the CPU lol. i want to destroy it lol. 4.8ghz at 1.8v will surely do the job. I might do what 10pmstalker said and record it with my phone and upload the video to youtube and put the link in this thread. Although before i do that, id like some people to give me some more ideas on what i could/should do to the CPU. If it saves me a mobo in the end then il sell that, but the CPU i want kill lol. Once again thanks for the replies

Do it without a heatsink!

wonder44

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010

Yes i was thinking about doing that too. Although i could try boot at 5.3ghz with a vcore of 1.9 lol. funy feeling it will be destroyed strait away, but thats the plan stan

wonder44

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Haha ummm people. i tried 4.8ghz at 1.58v and it booted :/ um, do i have some sort of golden chip? I dont think i want to destroy it now. prime has been running fine 6 hours without any hickups

meh, I ran a q6600 at 1.55 before. 1.55 is the absolute maximum recommended by Intel, but supposedly the earlier steppings can sustain 1.6v

Now 4.8Ghz... that's amazing for a Q6600

wonder44

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Yes it is amazing. The part i dont understand is i couldnt get it stable at 3.8+ but it works wonders at 4.8. So i dont know why it is doing that but i tell ya, im enjoying it. Does anyone knw where i can upload free photos and give a screenshot of cpu-z as proof of this overclock?

imgur, photobucket

wonder44

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010

Cool man thanks. im at my mothers house lol so i dont think il be uploading a image untill i get home, my father is technologically impaired so no use asking him lol. Thanks again

mikes1992

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Use toothpaste as thermal paste? lol... erm CAREFULLY! crumble the heads of matches (non-safety matches) and put the dust in between the CPU and heatsink. lol, you are willing for it to set fire right? hahaha

I kinda have to agree, it's still a capable processor. I killed one myself a few years ago, it's now a fashionable keychain that serves as a constant reminder not to ever leave a cooling loop unplugged while the AC breaker is on

wonder44

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
load temps are 77c and 45c idle. Using a antec h2o 920. Im not sure if i want to destroy it now. I am familiar with overclocking and never have i ever seen a q6600 run past 4.2 stable, i have 4.8. and i tell ya now it is extremely fast. I am heading home tomorow so i will upload some cpuz pics as proof

wonder44

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
I originally started at 4.4ghz with a voltage of 1.53v and slowly raised the clock speeds up and up till it failed then raised the voltage and done the same again. And now it is at 1.6v exactly. My father told me the pc had not froze when i called him yesterday so prime 95 has been running for a long time without issues. And the most suprising part about this, i am running a 780i mobo. I guess nvidia are a lot better than i thought, maybe they dont like running inbetween 3.8 and 4.4 lol.