Sign in with
Your question

Hd 4850 artifacts

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 13, 2010 3:21:21 PM

Happens too often when playing MW2. After playing for about 30 mintues or so I notice artifacts, game freezing, then BSOD and computer hangs. I have to manually turn off computer. The fan can be heard spinning loudly. I'm thinking the card is overheating and can't handle the load. The game settings are high for all, and 4x, and about 1300x1000 res. What are your suggestions to fix this? I've just had the card for a couple days. Should I send it back?

More about : 4850 artifacts

January 13, 2010 3:31:38 PM

that all depends, there could be 2 factors here:

1. Your Power Supply, what brand is it, and how many watts? Also, does it have a 6-pin PCI-E connector that plugs into the 4850, or did you use the little 4-pin molex-to PCI-E adapter?

1, Your Video card is overheating, check the CCC under "ATI Overdrive" you should be able to see the temps there. Basically get that fired up and then play MW2, then minimize MW2 and write down the temps (in celcius is fine) and post back here.
m
l
January 14, 2010 4:39:54 AM

jonpaul37 said:
that all depends, there could be 2 factors here:

1. Your Power Supply, what brand is it, and how many watts? Also, does it have a 6-pin PCI-E connector that plugs into the 4850, or did you use the little 4-pin molex-to PCI-E adapter?

1, Your Video card is overheating, check the CCC under "ATI Overdrive" you should be able to see the temps there. Basically get that fired up and then play MW2, then minimize MW2 and write down the temps (in celcius is fine) and post back here.

It's a Corsair VX450. The temperatures after I play for thirty minutes is about 65 Celcius. I don't know what temperature it gets to when it crashes though. Also, I just had a new problem where I put the computer to sleep and upon resuming, it displayed a black screen with artifacts flickering. I had to manually power off. I safe booted and still saw the artifacts. Finally after several minutes, I booted up okay.
m
l
Related resources
January 14, 2010 9:20:31 AM

hey use gpu z to check the temps...click on sensors and then right click on each temperature sensors and set> show max temps.Try some other games like far cry 2 ,crysis,3d mark vantage,unigine tropics or heavens....If same thing happens then i feel your gfx is faulty...also your psu is sufficient for handling your system
m
l
January 14, 2010 12:39:21 PM

PSU is fine for that system so it is not an issue, the temps seem within respectable boundries (as my 4850 sometimes hits 70*c under load).

This is most likely a bad GPU and will need replacing.

Are you up to date on the Drivers for the card?
m
l
January 14, 2010 6:28:29 PM

It's most likely overheating. I get the BSOD and artifact flickering. The game then freezes on the BSOD. As soon as I open the computer case while it is running, I am able to get control and the BSOD goes away. I don't remeber what the temperatures were when that happened, but likely high 60s. The card brand is PowerColor, and I've researched and hear some bad things about it. I'm thinking I either keep the card and have the case opened when playing or return it.
m
l
!