Sign in with
Your question

Need Advice on Gaming PC, Core i5 Build

Last response: in Systems
January 20, 2010 1:23:17 AM

Hi

I am going to replace my aging rig but I am uncertain on a few of my purchases, I have looked at lots of different options but i am uncertain on a few of the components. Input on this would be greatly appreciated. I am conscious about budget and don't have a huge amount to spend.

I dont think I have left anything out, if so then please let me know. I look forward to your feedback.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Over the next 3 months I will gradually purchase parts BUDGET RANGE: $1200NZD Roughly (As of today 1NZD = .73USD approx)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Web, Movies

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, HDD (Recently purchased Samsung Spinpoint F3), Sound

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: www.pricespy.co.nz COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: New Zealand

PARTS PREFERENCES:

CPU:
Intel Core i5 750 2.66Ghz Socket 1156
http://pconlineshop.co.nz/pcshop/product_info.php?produ...

Motherboard:
Gigabyte or ASUS Mobo

Ram:
4GB DDR3, not sure about brand or speed to get

GPU:
Not decided, would prefer Nvidia but not a must have.

PSU:
600 - 750W

Case:
Simple/Effective Design, Good Airflow, Quiet Operation

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Not initially to keep cost down but this would be something that I would do not too far down the track

MONITOR RESOLUTION: my current monitor native resolution is 1920x1080 but i will prob need to scale down the resolution.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
Also I would like a quiet pc, doesnt have to be silent or anything. My current rig sounds like a hairdryer

Visual enhancements do not interest me at all e.g. side window, LED fans, flash case.

Is it worth getting a mobo with esata?

USB3 & Sata 6GB/s worth getting at moment?

Is DX11 compatibility good to get for the long run?

To be honest I am not 100% sure how much I am going to spend at this stage, I am more interested in parts selection / advice and getting the best bang for my buck as possible. Main purpose will be gaming.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 20, 2010 2:48:43 AM

hey mate, im in NZ so i should be able to help with pointing you to where to buy.

PC online shop and PCpacific generally have th ebest prices on components. the former is where i go for jsut about everything.

id highly reocmend getting a 5 series ATI card, they are the best choice right now. though NZ prices are heavily inflated, a 5770 or even a 5850 should be doable in that budget.

PSU wise id stick with corsair. they are the best and very well priced.

ill grab some prices for you now. brb.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
January 20, 2010 3:01:27 AM

it seems that prices have raised even more since i last purchased, so getting a decent i5/5xxx rig may be difficult.

i have these together:

GPU: http://pconlineshop.co.nz/pcshop/product_info.php?produ...

CPU/MOBO/RAM Combo:

PSU: http://pconlineshop.co.nz/pcshop/product_info.php?cPath...

but that makes up your entire 1200 budget. can you stretch? otherwise you may need to drop back to a 4 series card, which would be a shame. but if you dont do any heavy gaming, you won't lose much.

the only other thing you'd really need is a case it seems, so you aren't too far out...
a c 83 B Homebuilt system
January 20, 2010 3:45:00 AM

For gaming, get the best vga card you can afford.
At 1920 resolution you will get great performance from a 5770 in most games.
You will get exceptional performance at that resolution in most games from a 5850.
Reference this tom's article:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,...

Now, what does it take to drive such a card? Really, only a duo clocked at 3.0. The e8400 has a good track record at that rate.
I suggest that you consider one of the new clarkdale 32nm dual core cpu's. Few games can make use of more than two cores, so you are not losing much with a cpu that has two cores and 4 threads. Look at the i3-530/540 clocked at around 3.0. The advantage of these cpu's is that they run cooler, and should be able to overclock higher if you are into that.

Do not be put off by the included graphics, you don't have to use it. Pick a H55 motherboard if you do. Not a bad thing if you have a secondary monitor next to your gaming monitor.

As to ram, get the cheapest 4gb kit( 2 x 2gb) of DDR3 ram that you can find. Do not pay more for faster speeds or lower latencies. It will only increase your FPS by 1-3%. The memory controller on the nehalem architecture is outstanding and feeds the cpu very well.

A 5850 will need a 500w psu with two 6-pin connectors, while a 5770 will only need 450w and a single connector.
This assumes that you get a quality unit like Corsair, Seasonic, Antec, or PC P&C. Don't skimp on psu quality.

For the case, consider the Antec SOLO. It is my all time favorite. It is plain/classic. The sides are sound deadened, and the front has a baffled/filtered air intake.
The major problem with it for gaming is that you need a graphic card of < 10.1" or so. (the 5850 is about 9.5") I modified mine a bit to hold a GTX260 at 10.5". Cooling was adequate. With a 32nm cpu and the 40nm construction of the AMD 5xxx cards, you should have no problem with heat.

---good luck---
January 20, 2010 9:06:40 PM

welshmousepk said:
it seems that prices have raised even more since i last purchased, so getting a decent i5/5xxx rig may be difficult.

i have these together:

GPU: http://pconlineshop.co.nz/pcshop/product_info.php?produ...

CPU/MOBO/RAM Combo:

PSU: http://pconlineshop.co.nz/pcshop/product_info.php?cPath...

but that makes up your entire 1200 budget. can you stretch? otherwise you may need to drop back to a 4 series card, which would be a shame. but if you dont do any heavy gaming, you won't lose much.

the only other thing you'd really need is a case it seems, so you aren't too far out...

Thank you for your input and time. My budget can be expanded a little bit if need be that is not a problem because I do want a 5 series GPU. I was a little skeptical about buying from PCOnlineshop but if you have had success from them then that makes me feel better. Didnt expect to get someone from NZ makes things a little easier :-)
January 20, 2010 9:35:38 PM

geofelt said:
For gaming, get the best vga card you can afford.
At 1920 resolution you will get great performance from a 5770 in most games.
You will get exceptional performance at that resolution in most games from a 5850.
Reference this tom's article:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,...

Now, what does it take to drive such a card? Really, only a duo clocked at 3.0. The e8400 has a good track record at that rate.
I suggest that you consider one of the new clarkdale 32nm dual core cpu's. Few games can make use of more than two cores, so you are not losing much with a cpu that has two cores and 4 threads. Look at the i3-530/540 clocked at around 3.0. The advantage of these cpu's is that they run cooler, and should be able to overclock higher if you are into that.

Do not be put off by the included graphics, you don't have to use it. Pick a H55 motherboard if you do. Not a bad thing if you have a secondary monitor next to your gaming monitor.

As to ram, get the cheapest 4gb kit( 2 x 2gb) of DDR3 ram that you can find. Do not pay more for faster speeds or lower latencies. It will only increase your FPS by 1-3%. The memory controller on the nehalem architecture is outstanding and feeds the cpu very well.

A 5850 will need a 500w psu with two 6-pin connectors, while a 5770 will only need 450w and a single connector.
This assumes that you get a quality unit like Corsair, Seasonic, Antec, or PC P&C. Don't skimp on psu quality.

For the case, consider the Antec SOLO. It is my all time favorite. It is plain/classic. The sides are sound deadened, and the front has a baffled/filtered air intake.
The major problem with it for gaming is that you need a graphic card of < 10.1" or so. (the 5850 is about 9.5") I modified mine a bit to hold a GTX260 at 10.5". Cooling was adequate. With a 32nm cpu and the 40nm construction of the AMD 5xxx cards, you should have no problem with heat.

---good luck---

That is very interesting indeed about the ram, I had no idea the performance difference was that negligible. The case is exactly what I want. At this stage I will be going with the PSU recommended by welshmouse Corsair 520W HX-520 ATX Modular Power Supply which has 2 PCIe connectors making it suitable for 5770 or 5850. I will mull it over about the graphics card the 5850 is a big step up ion price over the 5770 so will have a think about it. Mboards seem quite pricey at the moment at least here in NZ, the more expensive boards dont really offer much more for what I need. So GA-P55-UD3 might be the way to go. Ill let you guys know how I get on, thank you.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 21, 2010 12:30:31 AM

no problem, be sure to keep us posted ;) 

in regards to the GPU, i really do recommend a 5 series card. they will continue to mature through driver updates which will make them even better performance. and DX11 isa going to be much bigger than DX10, increasing performance AND visual fidelity. i understand what its like to be on a tight budget, but personally i would get a cheaper CPU rather than a lower end GPU.

good luck though.
January 21, 2010 8:01:41 AM

nvidia is releasing GF100, new DX11 card soon. If you are unpatient enough you can buy an ATI HD5770. for mobo u can choose ga p55a-ud3p or ud4. the difference is SLI setup. for RAM get corsair RAM. 1333 is enough. 1600 is for hardcore gaming. you can see my specs below. Casing: CM centurion, with 2 fans and good ventilation and an air filter!? PSU get antec, corsair or xigmatek. probably corsair will be more expansive. any problems can send me a msg.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 22, 2010 12:33:54 AM

the GF100 will be out of your price range though, so i wouldn't wait for it. and the lower end derivatives will likely take a couple of months to appear.

!