Pinpoint139

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
I bought a 8800GTS for about $30 and it runs at 120C which I think is overkill...was wondering if I should just upgrade the graphics card to a better model like a 9800 or such...I am looking to be under 150 at the max unless it is just a little bit more and thinking of going SLI later...

Thanks

Computer Specs:
CPU E8400
Motherboard nForce (MB-N680-ILT9)
Corsair Toughpower 750 watt
Cooler Master RC-690-KKN1-GP case
nForce (MB-N680-ILT9) motherboard
OCZ reaper 8500 4 gb
1 tb western digital hard drive
1 LG dvd drive
8800gts 320mb graphics card
running to two 22in monitors and occasionally a 32in westinghouse lcd

Solution
That's too hot especially if you're only using a single card. Perhaps the cooler is not on properly. Anyway a 9800GTX/GTX+/GTS250 would be noticeably faster. Since you have an SLI board I say get a GTS250 so that you can get another one latter for SLI as availability of 9800 branded cards is going down. True you can SLI a 9800GTX+ and a GTS 250, but to avoid issues it's best to go with two 250s :D.
Read the January GFX card roundup here....

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,2521.html

Take ya budget into the list and then read the appropriate page to see if it will do what ya want. The 250 GTS might be well suited for you depending on resolution.

Keep in mind what your long term goals are.....if it includes DX11, at 1920 x 1200, the 58xx series is the entry point.....57xx doesn't have the necessary bandwidth and is already choking on Dirt 2 which has only minor implementation of DX11 features.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/dirt-2-performance-benchmark,2508-8.html
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3658&p=14

That's too hot especially if you're only using a single card. Perhaps the cooler is not on properly. Anyway a 9800GTX/GTX+/GTS250 would be noticeably faster. Since you have an SLI board I say get a GTS250 so that you can get another one latter for SLI as availability of 9800 branded cards is going down. True you can SLI a 9800GTX+ and a GTS 250, but to avoid issues it's best to go with two 250s :D.

Solution

Pinpoint139

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
I was pretty sure my motherboard is not compatible with crossfire but not for sure. Since it is SLI I was thinking of just sticking with nvidia for now...I will look at prices and see what I come up with...

Also would 750 watt PSU be enough for Crossfire or SLI format? I think it should but I am thinking of adding more fans and hard drives when I get the chance...I also do video editing on the side along with Photoshop...Currently use Sony Vegas for video editing...

Thanks

I am assuming you bought this new? 120C is way to high. It should not really top out beyond 90C. I had a 8800GTS and I think it hit maybe 85C at max with an overclock. I am wondering if this is the reason someone sold it. Do you know the person you bought this from? Also, what tool are you using to check temps? Is this under load? is the fan spinning? Maybe remove the cooler and see if there are any issues there? If you do that though you will need to clean off the cooler and GPU with alcohol and a swap and reapply some thermal paste.

OH By The Way!

And nvidia sucks *** btw.
vintagesoap3.jpg

invisik

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008
You can open the fan and clean out the dust, reapply thermal paste and make sure the fan is placed properly, also increase the fan speed manually to 50+. This should keep your card cool. If you don't want to and simply want to upgrade. I would suggest go for an nvidia card since your board sli and you can add another card when you need more power but if you want the latest technology ati is the way to go they have dx11 while nvidia only support dx10/10.1. Fermi nvidia dx11 card is rumored to come out in March. Personally i would hold off till nvidia introduces there products that way you have more choices and the prices will drop. Currently card prices are a bit higher then they should be. What is your current budget at the moment?

As for "okini55" do you have any sources/proof that prove nvidia sucks? or are you a simple idiotic fan boy?

^I forgot to mention that. I've seen some REALLY bad dust buddies in GPU's before. People who that have just NEVER cleaned them out. An air compressor is a great tool. Although to get 120C it would basically hav to be completely clogged.

When I first saw him on the forum, he was saying ATI sucked. It's quite obviously he a bit younger than most and rather excitable, but he does look like he's having fun at least.

Pinpoint139

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
Jeez,
Anyway...I have redone the thermal paste by using artic silver 5 and the current temperature of my graphics card is 50 C right now. Right now it is hold steady nad hasn't done much since I haven't been pushing my computer to the limit. Also the card is used and only paid $30 for it. It has a 80mm fan on top of it which is hooked directly to my PSU. It seem to be doing the job for now...

My question now is can I run ATI in crossfire on my motherboard or only SLI because of my motherboard? Also I am using NVIDIA System Monitor to keep track of my temperatures and such.

If I can go ATI looking at the 5*** series otherwise going with a gts250 in SLI format.

As for okini55 just look up his name in the other threads on this website...same thing happens all the time with him

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
You have a 680i, correct? These boards are only SLI, so you won't be able to crossfire. You could run one ATI card, or multiple nVidia cards in there.

I have 2 8800 GTSs in mine and am still doing OK. I've been itching to upgrade, but I think that's more a want than a necessity.