Sign in with
Your question

Choosing a power supply help.

Last response: in Systems
January 20, 2010 3:51:44 AM

I read the topics on choosing a power supply. I still can't decide what to pick after an hour on new egg. I need a cheap decent power supply, as long as it runs the computer. I will primarily use it for gaming.

Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : choosing power supply

a b 4 Gaming
a b ) Power supply
January 20, 2010 4:00:30 AM

Check out jonnyguru for good reviews. Than look at the newegg reviews and avoid supplies with very few reviews or a large portion of returns. Try to catch a good PSU on a special sale if you can.

Corsair makes some of the best price/performance PSUs. Antec is good for that too.

Brands I like are: Enermax, silverstone, antec, corsair, and ocz, but I'm sure there are other good brands.
m
l
Related resources
a c 144 ) Power supply
a c 172 à CPUs
January 20, 2010 6:00:06 AM

While I am not a fan of OCZ PSU's, you can't beat the pricing on this one. And a good 400 - 450 watt PSU will run your system.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
January 20, 2010 5:13:01 PM

Most people do as you appear to be doing, that is looking for the smallest cheapest PSU you can find. My advice is exactly the opposite. I think everybody should use the highest wattage quality PSU you can afford. I believe it's the cheapest insurance policy you can buy for your new build. It will yeild benefits you will never know about because of problems you won't have and can be re-used for years to come.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 87 ) Power supply
January 20, 2010 9:48:42 PM

No one here will recommend either of those PSUs. The cheapest quality ones you are likely to get off newegg are from OCZ, especially with some of the rebates they have.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
January 20, 2010 10:27:12 PM

I agree with the above. Neither of those PSU's should go anywhere near the inside of a PC. Picking a quality PSU is the key to a stable system. This PSU would easily power the system for a reasonable price:

CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W $54.99 - $15 MIR

The things to look for in a quality PSU are active PFC, at least 80+ certification, and high amps on the 12v rail. The PSU's you linked to don't satisfy any of those requirements.
m
l
January 21, 2010 6:00:46 AM

what does it mean to be 80+ certification
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 87 ) Power supply
January 21, 2010 9:30:50 AM

It means that the power supply has been tested at various loads and is always at least 80% efficient at converting mains power into power that the system uses.
m
l
January 24, 2010 12:30:12 PM

400 watts sounds pretty low to me. Have you used a power supply calculator to determine the actual amount of power your components will need? You can find one here http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp. Something else to keep in mind is that it's typically recommended that you keep approximately 25% power in reserve. So if you calculate that your computer's components will use 400 watts, you absolutely do not want to buy a 400 watt power supply, because they are not made to run at full capacity all the time. You should buy one that is 500 watts or so, which is 25% more than what your computer will be constantly using. Of course, you may also want to consider any hardware upgrades you may do in the future...adding a second, or a more powerful GPU, or more hard drives, all will increase the amount of power the PSU is needed to output.

Good luck! :) 

I have a question regarding Corsair power supplies: I notice that the model numbers are prefixed by either HX or TX, with the HX supplies typically costing more. Are they 'better' than the TX? Can anyone tell me exactly what the difference(s) are between these two models?

Thanks in advance!
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 87 ) Power supply
January 24, 2010 12:33:34 PM

One of the differences is that HX PSUs from Corsair are modular. There might be other differences in how they were made and by what OEM but the only difference that typically matters to consumers is the modularity.
m
l
January 24, 2010 5:22:19 PM

I actually bought one on ebay from 5 star computers it's a 650 watt green item # 270507209588 for $36.95 and it works great
m
l
!