Dell poweredge 1950 hdd wipe

bobdapirate

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
Hello,
I am attempting to wipe the OS along with any other data from our companies Dell poweredge 1950’s each with a single dual core intel xeon processor, 2 gig ram, 2 73gig hdd in raid 1. I purchased wipe software from white canyon with the assumption I could simply create a bootable cd that would start to run the program but boy was I wrong…
I am an RF engineer & far from a sys admin but the company is about to fold so here I am… I successfully re-loaded windows server 2003 64 on 2 1850’s which is good enough since these will all be re-formatted by our customer to run linux but, the 1950’s would not simply re-install or reformat using the windows 2003 r2 disk, booting from cd, I keep getting a “no hard drives found” for some reason although if I boot normally, windows comes up as usual. These machines have had all sorts of software such as checkpoint, trend micro, sharepoint etc.
Attempting the white canyon ISO image from their website I receive “missing operating system” .. Again, if I remove the CD & boot, Windows starts as usual..
Really, all I want to do is blow these things away which is what white canyon claims but I am getting nowhere with their support team, I am finding more useful information here!! I would be satisfied to just reformat these things but I can’t even do that. As I flail around I have deleted the virtual disk on one of these machines which will not let me rebuild it in bios.. I’m guessing because I have initialized & saved the setting?
Any information would be helpful, even if someone has a way to make it very difficult for information to be retrieved on the HD’s
Thanks,
Cliff

marcellis22

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
SAAIELLO , It's called Darin's Boot and Nuke... download the ISO and burn it to CD, boot it, type "autonuke" > enter> and stand back... in less than 24 hours you'll have a clean drive, based on a Department of Defense Military Spec...

bobdapirate

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
Thanks you two, although these things have a new message: "Cannot start dos" is there bios settings other than the boot sequence that I have to change? I do not know any command line in any language other than ip config lol... I have used 2 types of burn software (Roxio/cdburnerxppro) & multiple types burn options along with a 20 pack of CD's... I assume you have to choose "make bootable" ? there are different types of emulators as well that I have tried "Emulate HDD" "Emulate windows" I have tried both... Thanks again for your help!!
Cliff

DBAN = Darins Boot and Nuke I know what its called thank you.

All you should have to do is put The CD as first boot. The ISO is already a bootable image just burn it exactly like it is with Magic ISO and you should be good. Its based on linux